Yoga? You're going to hell

Started by Mayo4Sam, July 10, 2014, 12:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

WTF??  :o :o :o :o

From the Irish Times

Yoga putting 'souls in jeopardy', Donegal priest warns

Fr Padraig O'Baoill also cautions parishioners over 'contemptible' tai chi and Reiki

A parish priest in Co Donegal has described yoga and other disciplines such as tai chi and Reiki as "contemptible".

Fr Padraig O'Baoill made his comments in the latest issue of the Gaoth Dobhair parish newsletter.

"As followers of Jesus Christ we should not partake in deeds that go against our religion," he wrote.

Mindfulness: Buddhism without the spiritual bits
Stretching in popularity
New age rubbish posing as an accessible alternative to old-school religion

"Accordingly, you should do not take part in yoga, thai chai or Reiki...Do not put your soul in jeopardy for the sake of these contemptible things."

A local yoga teacher said Fr O'Baoill's stance and advice to his parishioners was "ignorant.'

Sean O'Tuathalain, who runs the Yoga Centre in Letterkenny, said he would love to meet Fr O'Baoill to try to understand why he was urging people not to take part in yoga.

"I have to say that this advice appears to me to be coming from a position of ignorance," he said.

"However, I think priests in general are skeptical of yoga and Reiki. I can understand where they are coming from but I think they need to find out more about these subjects."

Mr O'Tuathalain suggested that many people in Ireland turned to yoga after the scandal of clerical sexual abuse emerged.

"I know priests such as Fr O'Baoill may feel that yoga may have Hindu connections. But people in Ireland do not practice yoga for religious reasons. They practice it to find inner strength and inner peace and many people have done so," he said.

Fr O'Baoill, who is currently in Lourdes, has said he will give reasons for his writings in the parish newsletter when he returns.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Hardy

His mentality clearly does not encompass irony.

johnneycool

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 10, 2014, 12:14:18 PM
WTF??  :o :o :o :o

From the Irish Times

Yoga putting 'souls in jeopardy', Donegal priest warns

Fr Padraig O'Baoill also cautions parishioners over 'contemptible' tai chi and Reiki

A parish priest in Co Donegal has described yoga and other disciplines such as tai chi and Reiki as "contemptible".

Fr Padraig O'Baoill made his comments in the latest issue of the Gaoth Dobhair parish newsletter.

"As followers of Jesus Christ we should not partake in deeds that go against our religion," he wrote.

Mindfulness: Buddhism without the spiritual bits
Stretching in popularity
New age rubbish posing as an accessible alternative to old-school religion

"Accordingly, you should do not take part in yoga, thai chai or Reiki...Do not put your soul in jeopardy for the sake of these contemptible things."

A local yoga teacher said Fr O'Baoill's stance and advice to his parishioners was "ignorant.'

Sean O'Tuathalain, who runs the Yoga Centre in Letterkenny, said he would love to meet Fr O'Baoill to try to understand why he was urging people not to take part in yoga.

"I have to say that this advice appears to me to be coming from a position of ignorance," he said.

"However, I think priests in general are skeptical of yoga and Reiki. I can understand where they are coming from but I think they need to find out more about these subjects."

Mr O'Tuathalain suggested that many people in Ireland turned to yoga after the scandal of clerical sexual abuse emerged.

"I know priests such as Fr O'Baoill may feel that yoga may have Hindu connections. But people in Ireland do not practice yoga for religious reasons. They practice it to find inner strength and inner peace and many people have done so," he said.

Fr O'Baoill, who is currently in Lourdes, has said he will give reasons for his writings in the parish newsletter when he returns and can think of something with a bit of wit and reasoning to save some face.

thejuice

Don't shoot the messenger. He's only doing as commanded by the all mighty don cha know.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

J70

Never even knew yoga was a religious endeavor.

Has this boy not got more pressing issues to be addressing in his parish? Another step on the road to irrelevancy.

Tony Baloney

This is being reported under the World News section on the BBC New website  :-[

Jeepers Creepers

Hope this doesn't put people off coming to Ireland to do Yoga...

Hardy

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 10, 2014, 01:49:42 PM

That only happens when the residents are revolting.

passedit

QuoteFr O'Baoill, who is currently in Lourdes, has said he will give reasons for his writings in the parish newsletter when he returns.

Miracle cure for stupid?
Don't Panic

trueblue1234

Quote from: Hardy on July 10, 2014, 02:08:17 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 10, 2014, 01:49:42 PM

That only happens when the residents are revolting.

That's harsh.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Olly

Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

ziggysego

No wonder Gaoth Dobhair Abu was fond of the drink, if that's what he had to listen to on a Sunday morning.
Testing Accessibility

foxcommander

I've been to yoga a few times to try sort out a few injuries (if it was good enough for Giggsy) but I have to laugh at the chanting shite they come out with, healing your mind me hole.

A few of the birds were fit mind you. I know what would really sort them out.....
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

johnneycool

Quote from: foxcommander on July 10, 2014, 03:49:20 PM
I've been to yoga a few times to try sort out a few injuries (if it was good enough for Giggsy) but I have to laugh at the chanting shite they come out with, healing your mind me hole.

A few of the birds were fit mind you. I know what would really sort them out.....

a couple of novenas you mean obviously...

And sure Giggsy is a prime example of the debauchery that these yoga-ists get up to.

The Iceman

This priest is a little ignorant but shouldn't be condemned for his concern. Yoga is a way to enlightenment, not just an exercise. The exercise and the spiritual parts can be separated but ultimately yoga is part of Hinduism. Hinduism is not compatible with Christianity. I think if you use yoga solely for exercise then its fine. Its when you start adding the prayers and chants involved and add it to your spiritual journey that things become complicated. This priest isn't urging non-believers to be careful - he is urging believers and I don't have a problem with that.
Reiki is somewhat similar but completely contradicts Christian teaching. God is not energy. Energy does not emanate from Him. Channeling energy for healing purposes and calling it "angels" or "the Holy Spirit" or life force is not a Christian practice and has no foundation in the Catholic Faith. I am surprised that the Atheists of the board would be ok with a practice with no scientific proof being promoted..... if you have no time for religion on those grounds then surely you have no time for Reiki on the same ones?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight