Gay activist goes out of his way to be offended.

Started by Zip Code, July 08, 2014, 01:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: EC Unique on July 09, 2014, 11:00:27 PM
Quote from: Zip Code on July 09, 2014, 05:08:21 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 09, 2014, 03:29:37 PM
You all seem to be using bigotry to excuse homophobia.

The homophobic card is the most over played card in society - it verges on pathetic.  If you don't agree with all things gay you are a homophobic, maybe they will have a huge march about it, just to let us all know they are gay.  ::)

I once stated on here that I would be disappointed if my son grew up to be gay. Apparently that made me homophobic.

It would depend on your reason(s) EC.

If your son (or daughter) being gay disappointed you because you disapprove of homosexuality, just as he would disappoint you if he ended up on drugs or messing up his career or college, then I would say its you who is the one with the problem and needs to get over himself.

If its disappointment born out of fear for what your child might face in terms of bigotry and discrimination, then yes that is something I'd imagine many of us might share, although personally, with very young kids who are growing up in a liberal part of the US, I don't forsee that being much of an issue.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 10, 2014, 10:38:52 AM
While I would have an issue with the response of the owners of the bakery I really do wonder what was the motivation of the people who ordered it.  If I was ordering a birthday cake I would ring saw the Corn Dolly and the Shelbourne Bakery in Newry and McNamees and Savages at home to price the different options.  I would look at who I know does the best cake and how much it will cost.  I will compare the 4 different prices and see which is best value.  Did these people genuinely do something like this?   They they ring this shop and 3-4 others or did they ring this one in the knowledge that there was a chance they might get refused and then get the media on speed dial? 

One side made their decision on the strength of their long standing religious belief (albeit a skewed way of looking at it)  the other side possibly made their decision to catch this side out and make political hay out of someone else.  They could have asked a different bakery and had no negative response and then picked up their cake as normal.  The whole issue of same sex marriages and same sex rights is moving in the right direction as far as I can see and like everything in this very 'christian' based, middle of the road country, this will take time to achieve but it will be achieved so maybe the long view should be taken.
They maybe don't have as much time of their hands as a miserable hoor like you  ;D

EC Unique

Quote from: J70 on July 10, 2014, 01:31:18 PM

The homophobic card is the most over played card in society - it verges on pathetic.  If you don't agree with all things gay you are a homophobic, maybe they will have a huge march about it, just to let us all know they are gay.  ::)

I once stated on here that I would be disappointed if my son grew up to be gay. Apparently that made me homophobic.

If your son (or daughter) being gay disappointed you because you disapprove of homosexuality, just as he would disappoint you if he ended up on drugs or messing up his career or college, then I would say its you who is the one with the problem and needs to get over himself.

If its disappointment born out of fear for what your child might face in terms of bigotry and discrimination, then yes that is something I'd imagine many of us might share, although personally, with very young kids who are growing up in a liberal part of the US, I don't forsee that being much of an issue.

My children are growing up in a small village in Tyrone. Being gay would have a major negative effect on their lives here and would most likely lead to them moving away. I also would like too see my family linage continue in a natural way. I don't see my views being wrong in any way.

Zip Code

In fairness growing up in Tyrone is most likely going to lead them to move away.   ;D

J70

Quote from: EC Unique on July 10, 2014, 01:40:03 PM

My children are growing up in a small village in Tyrone. Being gay would have a major negative effect on their lives here and would most likely lead to them moving away. I also would like too see my family linage continue in a natural way. I don't see my views being wrong in any way.

Family lineage/name is a very real concern for me (and my wider family - useless cousins! :P) also, but my son living his life as his happy, well adjusted, true self trumps that by far. There's not much stopping a gay man having a child who is biologically his own these days anyway, if that is what he wants.

What if your son wanted to be a priest?

As for him being forced to leave Tyrone, well your disappointment should be redirected at your community.

EC Unique

Quote from: J70 on July 10, 2014, 01:57:05 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 10, 2014, 01:40:03 PM

Family lineage/name is a very real concern for me (and my wider family - useless cousins! :P) also, but my son living his life as his happy, well adjusted, true self trumps that by far. There's not much stopping a gay man having a child who is biologically his own these days anyway, if that is what he wants.

What if your son wanted to be a priest?

I'd ask him if he was gay ;D

general_lee

Nothing wrong with wanting your kids to be straight.

There is still (unfortunately) added baggage with being homosexual in Ireland. I'd say given the choice most parents would choose to have heterosexual offspring.

There's also the whole 'coming out' process which I can't imagine being too stress-free for any individual; especially in their teenage years.  It's something I'd prefer my children not to have to go through, given a choice.

J70

Quote from: general_lee on July 10, 2014, 02:00:43 PM

There is still (unfortunately) added baggage with being homosexual in Ireland. I'd say given the choice most parents would choose to have heterosexual offspring.

There's also the whole 'coming out' process which I can't imagine being too stress-free for any individual; especially in their teenage years.  It's something I'd prefer my children not to have to go through, given a choice.

True, but one would hope that a child could at least feel comfortable and secure enough to come out to their family in a fairly stress-free manner. You can't control wider society, but you CAN bring your child up in an environment where homosexuality is not seen as evil and shameful and a potential cause for a rift with your family.

thebigfella

Quote from: Zip Code on July 10, 2014, 12:54:33 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on July 10, 2014, 10:17:03 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 10, 2014, 10:10:50 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on July 10, 2014, 10:04:10 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 10, 2014, 09:58:39 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on July 10, 2014, 09:57:05 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 10, 2014, 09:54:13 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on July 10, 2014, 09:52:41 AM

No it makes you a pathetic individual.

I would say a very large % of fathers are 'pathetic individuals' then.

Maybe in your very narrow view of the world. Reality is much different, especially in Ireland.

So wrong. Maybe a few may not admit it but inside they would be disappointed. I have no doubt.

People don't all conform to your narrow views of the world

Do you have any children?

Ah yes, you don't understand as you don't have kids line. It's irrelevant.

Based on what EC said how is it irrelevant - you also didn't answer his question.

It's irrelevant as it's hypothetical situation. Having kids doesn't qualify your opinion any more. 

Hardy

Gay is fine. I'd be pissed off if they turned out to be Marty.

general_lee

Quote from: J70 on July 10, 2014, 02:05:39 PM
Quote from: general_lee on July 10, 2014, 02:00:43 PM

True, but one would hope that a child could at least feel comfortable and secure enough to come out to their family in a fairly stress-free manner. You can't control wider society, but you CAN bring your child up in an environment where homosexuality is not seen as evil and shameful and a potential cause for a rift with your family.
Exactly. I think society in Ireland, especially the north, is nowhere near tolerant enough.

Sectarianism, racism and homophobia ravages the north. Having an accepting and loving family is only half the battle. Just think of the amount of shite that your offspring would/could experience growing up here, it doesn't bear thinking about.

EC Unique

Quote from: thebigfella on July 10, 2014, 02:09:28 PM

Maybe in your very narrow view of the world. Reality is much different, especially in Ireland.

So wrong. Maybe a few may not admit it but inside they would be disappointed. I have no doubt.

Based on what EC said how is it irrelevant - you also didn't answer his question.

It's irrelevant as it's hypothetical situation. Having kids doesn't qualify your opinion any more.

Wrong. Having kids will change your perception on many things. Some day you might understand.

Zip Code

Quote from: thebigfella on July 10, 2014, 02:09:28 PM

Yes it does he's talking about his children.  I take it you have no children, trust me your views of most things change when you do.

deiseach

Quote from: EC Unique on July 10, 2014, 02:17:48 PM
Wrong. Having kids will change your perception on many things. Some day you might understand.

Olly

Theres so many bad things said about being gay. I know a boy who came out to his parents and his father said that's why you play football like a girl.

The same friend told his grandfather the next day and the grandfather went berserk and said 'how the hell can this happen' but it turned out he hadn't his hearing aid on and he thought I said I was dead.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".