Gay activist goes out of his way to be offended.

Started by Zip Code, July 08, 2014, 01:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Quote from: thebigfella on July 10, 2014, 09:57:05 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 10, 2014, 09:54:13 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on July 10, 2014, 09:52:41 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 09, 2014, 11:00:27 PM
Quote from: Zip Code on July 09, 2014, 05:08:21 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 09, 2014, 03:29:37 PM
You all seem to be using bigotry to excuse homophobia.

The homophobic card is the most over played card in society - it verges on pathetic.  If you don't agree with all things gay you are a homophobic, maybe they will have a huge march about it, just to let us all know they are gay.  ::)

I once stated on here that I would be disappointed if my son grew up to be gay. Apparently that made me homophobic.

No it makes you a pathetic individual.

I would say a very large % of fathers are 'pathetic individuals' then.

Maybe in your very narrow view of the world. Reality is much different, especially in Ireland.

So wrong. Maybe a few may not admit it but inside they would be disappointed. I have no doubt.

HiMucker

The homophobic card is the most over played card in society - it verges on pathetic.  If you don't agree with all things gay you are a homophobic, maybe they will have a huge march about it, just to let us all know they are gay.  ::)

I once stated on here that I would be disappointed if my son grew up to be gay. Apparently that made me homophobic.

Ah come on that's harsh.  I think that would be a fairly honest answer from most fathers.  If my son or daughter grew up to be gay I doubt I would love him any differently or less, as I am intelligent enough to know that sexuality is not a choice it is something you are born with.  However given the choice I would prefer them to be straight.  Does that make me homophobic??  Don't think so.

Great quote above J70.

thebigfella

Quote from: EC Unique on July 10, 2014, 09:58:39 AM

Maybe in your very narrow view of the world. Reality is much different, especially in Ireland.

So wrong. Maybe a few may not admit it but inside they would be disappointed. I have no doubt.

People don't all conform to your narrow views of the world

DennistheMenace

EC Unique

Quote from: thebigfella on July 10, 2014, 10:04:10 AM

Do you have any children?

haranguerer

Quote from: HiMucker on July 10, 2014, 10:02:24 AM
]Ah come on that's harsh.  I think that would be a fairly honest answer from most fathers.  If my son or daughter grew up to be gay I doubt I would love him any differently or less, as I am intelligent enough to know that sexuality is not a choice it is something you are born with.  However given the choice I would prefer them to be straight.  Does that make me homophobic??  Don't think so.

I would imagine a large part of the reason you'd prefer them to be straight is because you know how much homophobia they will encounter.

laoislad

Quote from: haranguerer on July 10, 2014, 10:11:36 AM
]Ah come on that's harsh.  I think that would be a fairly honest answer from most fathers.  If my son or daughter grew up to be gay I doubt I would love him any differently or less, as I am intelligent enough to know that sexuality is not a choice it is something you are born with.  However given the choice I would prefer them to be straight.  Does that make me homophobic??  Don't think so.

I would imagine a large part of the reason you'd prefer them to be straight is because you know how much homophobia they will encounter.
I would agree with that.
I honestly wouldn't care if they were Gay.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

thebigfella

Ah come on that's harsh.  I think that would be a fairly honest answer from most fathers.  If my son or daughter grew up to be gay I doubt I would love him any differently or less, as I am intelligent enough to know that sexuality is not a choice it is something you are born with.  However given the choice I would prefer them to be straight.  Does that make me homophobic??  Don't think so.

Great quote above J70.

No it's not harsh. I never said it was homophobic either.

I'd prefer any kids I have to be happy. I'd hope they can be open and frank about their sexuality without fear of disappointing me.

thebigfella

Quote from: EC Unique on July 10, 2014, 10:10:50 AM

Ah yes, you don't understand as you don't have kids line. It's irrelevant.

EC Unique

Quote from: thebigfella on July 10, 2014, 10:17:03 AM

So you don't then?

brokencrossbar1

While I would have an issue with the response of the owners of the bakery I really do wonder what was the motivation of the people who ordered it.  If I was ordering a birthday cake I would ring saw the Corn Dolly and the Shelbourne Bakery in Newry and McNamees and Savages at home to price the different options.  I would look at who I know does the best cake and how much it will cost.  I will compare the 4 different prices and see which is best value.  Did these people genuinely do something like this?  They they ring this shop and 3-4 others or did they ring this one in the knowledge that there was a chance they might get refused and then get the media on speed dial? 

One side made their decision on the strength of their long standing religious belief (albeit a skewed way of looking at it)  the other side possibly made their decision to catch this side out and make political hay out of someone else.  They could have asked a different bakery and had no negative response and then picked up their cake as normal.  The whole issue of same sex marriages and same sex rights is moving in the right direction as far as I can see and like everything in this very 'christian' based, middle of the road country, this will take time to achieve but it will be achieved so maybe the long view should be taken.

HiMucker

Quote from: haranguerer on July 10, 2014, 10:11:36 AM

Don't think so, maybe a bit.  I honestly haven't given it a pile of thought.  I would like to think it would be water off a ducks back.  My uncle was Gay so its not like it would be taboo in the family.  Put it this way I would be more disappointed if my son didn't play football!  I suppose that would be the crux of why I thought bigfellas reaction was harsh,  you just want your kids to follow in your foot steps and make similar life choices, (not all!!), keep your lineage going and all that. Hi  but whatever makes them happy.

Zip Code

Quote from: thebigfella on July 10, 2014, 10:17:03 AM

Based on what EC said how is it irrelevant - you also didn't answer his question.