Gay activist goes out of his way to be offended.

Started by Zip Code, July 08, 2014, 01:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskeysteve

Head frying.

How can some posters not make the legal distinction between discriminating against people and discriminating against a work of your own creation.

You can't force a baker to bake a bloody cake if he doesn't want to bake a cake a certain way!

Of course pointing this legal reality out is morally justifying homophobia  ::)
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Zulu

Quote from: deiseach on July 09, 2014, 04:00:07 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 09, 2014, 03:34:50 PM
Ok, but if a barber had no history of cutting the hair of black people would it be ok to refuse a black person? Would it be ok to say sorry, I don't like blacks and many of my customers (probably) don't like blacks so I can't cut your hair? Is it the black persons fault?

I don't think it is ok to refuse a gay person's custom because you don't agree with gay marriage or whatever and I think it's disgraceful to justify it on the basis on what's in the bible. That's not being Christian, that's being a Christian zealot.

If society accepts this then a lot of backward thinking nonsense can be justified. The baker may be ok on legal grounds but he certainly has no moral justification in my mind.

Your barber scenario would be discrimination. But the baker scenario we have at the moment is more akin to a barber who refuses to cut shamrocks into a person's hair because it's a Fenian symbol. As long as they apply that rule to all their customers there shouldn't be a problem, daft though it is. Unless you think they should be forced to cut shamrocks into people's hair?

No I don't but the point I've made wasn't related to the legality of it, I don't know if he is breaking the law, my point was this clown isn't justified in doing what he has doing on religious grounds and referring to the bible is daft in the extreme.

For me, a society that doesn't roundly condemn people for this type of action, based on a warped notion of Christianity, is a society going backwards.

However, I do agree this guy should have the right to refuse to make certain types of cakes, i.e. like the example used earlier to 'kill all taigs" but that would be on the grounds of not promoting hate and violence. Using the bible to justify his decision is a nonsense. I guess you can argue it's his right and maybe it is but I would like to think the vast vast majority of people would react to this with a 'wise up ya clown' rather than defending him on religious grounds.

Zip Code

Quote from: haranguerer on July 09, 2014, 03:29:37 PM
You all seem to be using bigotry to excuse homophobia.

The homophobic card is the most over played card in society - it verges on pathetic.  If you don't agree with all things gay you are a homophobic, maybe they will have a huge march about it, just to let us all know they are gay.  ::)

thebigfella

Quote from: Zip Code on July 09, 2014, 05:08:21 PM

The homophobic card is the most over played card in society - it verges on pathetic.  If you don't agree with all things gay you are a homophobic, maybe they will have a huge march about it, just to let us all know they are gay.  ::)

What the fcuk does that mean?

HiMucker

Quote from: thebigfella on July 09, 2014, 05:39:32 PM

What the fcuk does that mean?
You know...Badminton, prawn cocktail crisps, white boots, surgical tape round the wrists etc.

foxcommander

Quote from: ziggysego on July 09, 2014, 03:32:25 PM
What?!

What's the extra ingredient in a gay cake, that the baker would need to learn to use?

Mince ?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

The Iceman

the new travelling community of this era. Can't say anything and the mobile phones are out and on the the solicitors..... boys rubbing their hands together all over the country....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Zip Code

Quote from: The Iceman on July 09, 2014, 06:27:46 PM
the new travelling community of this era. Can't say anything and the mobile phones are out and on the the solicitors..... boys rubbing their hands together all over the country....

In a nutshell - but make sure you or those you are with have to feel uncomfortable or have to compromise for this section of the community because if you don't you are homophobic.  It's pathetic really.

macdanger2

Quote from: Zip Code on July 09, 2014, 07:33:08 PM

In a nutshell - but make sure you or those you are with have to feel uncomfortable or have to compromise for this section of the community because if you don't you are homophobic.  It's pathetic really.

The poor aul bigots are being run out of the place altogether  :o

Zip Code

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 09, 2014, 10:12:32 PM
Quote from: Zip Code on July 09, 2014, 07:33:08 PM

The poor aul bigots are being run out of the place altogether  :o

That statement is also pathetic.

EC Unique

I once stated on here that I would be disappointed if my son grew up to be gay. Apparently that made me homophobic.

J70

"Gay Pride was not born of a need to celebrate being gay, but our right to exist without persecution. So instead of wondering why there isn't a Straight Pride movement, be thankful you don't need one"

thebigfella

Quote from: EC Unique on July 09, 2014, 11:00:27 PM

I once stated on here that I would be disappointed if my son grew up to be gay. Apparently that made me homophobic.

No it makes you a pathetic individual.

EC Unique

Quote from: thebigfella on July 10, 2014, 09:52:41 AM

I would say a very large % of fathers are 'pathetic individuals' then.

thebigfella

Quote from: EC Unique on July 10, 2014, 09:54:13 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on July 10, 2014, 09:52:41 AM

I would say a very large % of fathers are 'pathetic individuals' then.

Maybe in your very narrow view of the world. Reality is much different, especially in Ireland.