Gay activist goes out of his way to be offended.

Started by Zip Code, July 08, 2014, 01:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cockahoop

Quote from: J70 on July 08, 2014, 03:19:47 PM
Quote from: cockahoop on July 08, 2014, 03:15:51 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 08, 2014, 02:50:41 PM
Quote from: Zip Code on July 08, 2014, 01:41:16 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28206581

He knew it would be refused but make sure you ram your views down everyone's throat.  Why did he not go elsewhere to get his cake.

You're right, the bigots are well within their rights. Typical gay people kicking up a storm by being different  :o

there were acting the bollicks,must be some size of cake for all they were looking on it,i have no problem with being gay but dont try and shove it down people throat

So where does society draw the line?

Can this shop refuse to make cakes for catholics? Polish people? Black people?

if a catholic went into a bakery on the shankill road and asked for a cake to be decorated in green white and orange with up the pope wrote on it what response would you expect?

nrico2006

As in the case with the B and B owners, extremely hypocritical if they take any action against a bakery as they will be infringing on their religious views to satisfy anothers sexual views.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

thebigfella

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 08, 2014, 03:27:50 PM
As in the case with the B and B owners, extremely hypocritical if they take any action against a bakery as they will be infringing on their religious views to satisfy anothers sexual views.

WTF?

imtommygunn

Personally while I have nothing against gay marriage I do think that this is perhaps taking things a little too far.

As has been said before you could apply similar logic to a variety of places...

Could you for example go into a flag shop (as it's a PC hot potato) on sandy rowe or the shankill and either buy a tricolour or order one? I very much doubt it.

ziggysego

Quote from: cockahoop on July 08, 2014, 03:15:51 PM
there were acting the bollicks,must be some size of cake for all they were looking on it,i have no problem with being gay but dont try and shove it down people throat

How is ordering a cake from a bakery shoving it down your throat or anyone else's?
Testing Accessibility

Keyser soze

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 08, 2014, 03:40:20 PM
Personally while I have nothing against gay marriage I do think that this is perhaps taking things a little too far.

Could you for example go into a flag shop (as it's a PC hot potato) on sandy rowe or the shankill and either buy a tricolour or order one? I very much doubt it.

Oh there'd be no bither getting a tricolour up Sandy Row or the Shankill at this time of year, tyhey sell loads of them. For burning on bonfires.

haranguerer

Its not similar logic, its twisted logic.

Using a clear example of accepted bigotry as your barometer of an inclusive society makes no sense whatsoever.

armaghniac

Would a gay bakery make a "Save Ulster from Sodomy" cake?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Quote from: haranguerer on July 08, 2014, 03:53:51 PM

Using a clear example of accepted bigotry as your barometer of an inclusive society makes no sense whatsoever.

Well it's not a barometer of inclusive society as we don't live in an inclusive society.

Would I like everywhere and everyone to be inclusive - yes I would. If July teaches you anything it's that I(and presumably you) live in a society which is not all inclusive.

A person put something on facebook which I would tend to agree with... I think these people should be boycotted but I don't think they should have legal action against them.

haranguerer

Quote from: armaghniac on July 08, 2014, 03:57:08 PM

A cake for a homophobic campaign? Assuming there was such a thing as 'a gay bakery', they probably wouldnt. Do you still think thats a good anlaogy? Hopefully not.

armaghniac

Quote from: haranguerer on July 08, 2014, 04:02:18 PM

A cake for a homophobic campaign? Assuming there was such a thing as 'a gay bakery', they probably wouldnt. Do you still think thats a good anlaogy? Hopefully not.

It is a different political opinion and so a fair analogy.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

haranguerer

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 08, 2014, 03:59:45 PM

Well it's not a barometer of inclusive society as we don't live in an inclusive society.

Would I like everywhere and everyone to be inclusive - yes I would. If July teaches you anything it's that I(and presumably you) live in a society which is not all inclusive.

A person put something on facebook which I would tend to agree with... I think these people should be boycotted but I don't think they should have legal action against them.

You used it as your barometer. It isn't an inclusive society, but we still need to aim for it to be so. Should we accept homophobia, just because sectarianism is rife?

haranguerer

Quote from: armaghniac on July 08, 2014, 04:05:16 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 08, 2014, 04:02:18 PM

It is a different political opinion and so a fair analogy.

Homophobia is a political opinion in the same way racism is a political opinion. THAT is a fair analogy. Yours isn't.

whiskeysteve

Unfortunately they are perfectly entitled to refuse to create a slogan on a cake that they don't want to, provided the refusal of service is solely on grounds of disagreement with their own creation.

They should also be prepared to now reap what they sow in terms of boycotts/lawful protest/loss of custom. Their choice.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

imtommygunn

Quote from: haranguerer on July 08, 2014, 04:08:49 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 08, 2014, 03:59:45 PM

You used it as your barometer. It isn't an inclusive society, but we still need to aim for it to be so. Should we accept homophobia, just because sectarianism is rife?

Where would you draw the line? Do we prosecute everyone who doesn't show that they tolerate everyone and everything?

Why in this particular scenario could they not have a) highlighted it so the shop got the bad publicity and b) went to another shop?