Author Topic: Gay activist goes out of his way to be offended.  (Read 7880 times)

J70

• View Profile
Re: Gay activist goes out of his way to be offended.
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2014, 01:57:05 PM »
You all seem to be using bigotry to excuse homophobia.

The homophobic card is the most over played card in society - it verges on pathetic.  If you don't agree with all things gay you are a homophobic, maybe they will have a huge march about it, just to let us all know they are gay.  ::)

I once stated on here that I would be disappointed if my son grew up to be gay. Apparently that made me homophobic.

It would depend on your reason(s) EC.

If your son (or daughter) being gay disappointed you because you disapprove of homosexuality, just as he would disappoint you if he ended up on drugs or messing up his career or college, then I would say its you who is the one with the problem and needs to get over himself.

If its disappointment born out of fear for what your child might face in terms of bigotry and discrimination, then yes that is something I'd imagine many of us might share, although personally, with very young kids who are growing up in a liberal part of the US, I don't forsee that being much of an issue.

My children are growing up in a small village in Tyrone. Being gay would have a major negative effect on their lives here and would most likely lead to them moving away. I also would like too see my family linage continue in a natural way. I don't see my views being wrong in any way.

Family lineage/name is a very real concern for me (and my wider family - useless cousins! :P) also, but my son living his life as his happy, well adjusted, true self trumps that by far. There's not much stopping a gay man having a child who is biologically his own these days anyway, if that is what he wants.

What if your son wanted to be a priest?

As for him being forced to leave Tyrone, well your disappointment should be redirected at your community.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:58:46 PM by J70 »

EC Unique

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2014, 01:59:11 PM »

The homophobic card is the most over played card in society - it verges on pathetic.  If you don't agree with all things gay you are a homophobic, maybe they will have a huge march about it, just to let us all know they are gay.  ::)

I once stated on here that I would be disappointed if my son grew up to be gay. Apparently that made me homophobic.

It would depend on your reason(s) EC.

If your son (or daughter) being gay disappointed you because you disapprove of homosexuality, just as he would disappoint you if he ended up on drugs or messing up his career or college, then I would say its you who is the one with the problem and needs to get over himself.

If its disappointment born out of fear for what your child might face in terms of bigotry and discrimination, then yes that is something I'd imagine many of us might share, although personally, with very young kids who are growing up in a liberal part of the US, I don't forsee that being much of an issue.

My children are growing up in a small village in Tyrone. Being gay would have a major negative effect on their lives here and would most likely lead to them moving away. I also would like too see my family linage continue in a natural way. I don't see my views being wrong in any way.

Family lineage/name is a very real concern for me (and my wider family - useless cousins! :P) also, but my son living his life as his happy, well adjusted, true self trumps that by far. There's not much stopping a gay man having a child who is biologically his own these days anyway, if that is what he wants.

What if your son wanted to be a priest?

I'd ask him if he was gay ;D

general_lee

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 10, 2014, 02:00:43 PM »
Nothing wrong with wanting your kids to be straight.

There is still (unfortunately) added baggage with being homosexual in Ireland. I'd say given the choice most parents would choose to have heterosexual offspring.

There's also the whole 'coming out' process which I can't imagine being too stress-free for any individual; especially in their teenage years.  It's something I'd prefer my children not to have to go through, given a choice.

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2014, 02:05:39 PM »

There is still (unfortunately) added baggage with being homosexual in Ireland. I'd say given the choice most parents would choose to have heterosexual offspring.

There's also the whole 'coming out' process which I can't imagine being too stress-free for any individual; especially in their teenage years.  It's something I'd prefer my children not to have to go through, given a choice.

True, but one would hope that a child could at least feel comfortable and secure enough to come out to their family in a fairly stress-free manner. You can't control wider society, but you CAN bring your child up in an environment where homosexuality is not seen as evil and shameful and a potential cause for a rift with your family.

thebigfella

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2014, 02:09:28 PM »

No it makes you a pathetic individual.

I would say a very large % of fathers are 'pathetic individuals' then.

Maybe in your very narrow view of the world. Reality is much different, especially in Ireland.

So wrong. Maybe a few may not admit it but inside they would be disappointed. I have no doubt.

People don't all conform to your narrow views of the world

Do you have any children?

Ah yes, you don't understand as you don't have kids line. It's irrelevant.

Based on what EC said how is it irrelevant - you also didn't answer his question.

It's irrelevant as it's hypothetical situation. Having kids doesn't qualify your opinion any more. 

Hardy

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 10, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »
Gay is fine. I'd be pissed off if they turned out to be Marty.
I studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through - L.Cohen

general_lee

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2014, 02:11:58 PM »

True, but one would hope that a child could at least feel comfortable and secure enough to come out to their family in a fairly stress-free manner. You can't control wider society, but you CAN bring your child up in an environment where homosexuality is not seen as evil and shameful and a potential cause for a rift with your family.
Exactly. I think society in Ireland, especially the north, is nowhere near tolerant enough.

Sectarianism, racism and homophobia ravages the north. Having an accepting and loving family is only half the battle. Just think of the amount of shite that your offspring would/could experience growing up here, it doesn't bear thinking about.

EC Unique

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2014, 02:17:48 PM »

Maybe in your very narrow view of the world. Reality is much different, especially in Ireland.

So wrong. Maybe a few may not admit it but inside they would be disappointed. I have no doubt.

Based on what EC said how is it irrelevant - you also didn't answer his question.

It's irrelevant as it's hypothetical situation. Having kids doesn't qualify your opinion any more.

Wrong. Having kids will change your perception on many things. Some day you might understand.

Zip Code

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »

Yes it does he's talking about his children.  I take it you have no children, trust me your views of most things change when you do.

deiseach

• View Profile
    • Come  on the Déise
« Reply #159 on: July 10, 2014, 02:21:23 PM »
Wrong. Having kids will change your perception on many things. Some day you might understand.

Olly

• I will
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2014, 02:36:01 PM »
Theres so many bad things said about being gay. I know a boy who came out to his parents and his father said that's why you play football like a girl.

The same friend told his grandfather the next day and the grandfather went berserk and said 'how the hell can this happen' but it turned out he hadn't his hearing aid on and he thought I said I was dead.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

midLouth

« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2014, 03:01:04 PM »

Get off your high horse you clown, claiming the moral high ground because you are managing to raise a kid! His opinion is as valid as your own and entitled to be different. Some day you might get some sense!

Zip Code

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2014, 03:13:10 PM »
His opinion is devalued when he references fatherhood with no experience of it, so you climb down of your high horse also and stop insulting the man for having an opinion.

midLouth

« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2014, 03:28:46 PM »
His opinion is devalued when he references fatherhood with no experience of it, so you climb down of your high horse also and stop insulting the man for having an opinion.

Look back and tell me who references fatherhood.

Zip Code

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2014, 03:36:54 PM »
Why can you not follow it?