AFL Season 2014

Started by Aerlik, March 06, 2014, 04:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

ROUND TWO

Richmond 98-86 Carlton
An exciting game to listen to on the auld wireless - damned that auld work bollix - and what a finish to a really exciting game.  Carlton were dead and buried in the first half, Richmond went to sleep in the second half but woke up in the final three or four minutes to snatch an unlikely victory.  Last week Carlton were outclassed by Port and in this game it looked like the same was to happen for a second week but Richmond did enough to win.  Second loss for Mick Malthouse.  Would have loved to have been that fly on the Carlton changing room wall.

Hawthorn 90-86 Essendon
Well, this is why I watch this game.  What entertainment and as a neutral with no love for either club I watched every minute and loved it.  Great stuff.  What a finish.  Watch the highlights folks.  And to have done it without the efforts of Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell.  On the other hand Essendon finished without a recognised Ruckman. In a game of big, strong bodies, not having the biggest of big men will be too much.  It was. 

St. Kilda 95-88 Greater Western Sydney
Many, including myself, picked the Giants to win this game based on their stirling efforts in Round One.  Maybe the two-week gap proved to be their downfall but the experience of St.Kilda got them over the line.  However there will be a few lean years before there is the relative glory of the last few seasons of the last decade at St.Kilda.  By all accounts it was a really exciting game to watch not so much for the quality of the game but for the closeness of the score and the novel prospect of the Giants winning two-in-a-row for the first time in their short history.

Port Adelaide 127-73 Adelaide
The new Adelaide oval was christened with an early season "showdown" and what a game it was.  I watched this game and up to the end of the third quarter it was touch and go.  But the way Port Adelaide have been playing for the past year is really a revelation for the AFL.  They have recruited cleverly and in Chad Wingard, they have a lad who is as exciting a prospect as a certain Gary Ablett Jr. was 7 or 8 years ago.  Adelaide have their own superstar in Patrick Dangerfield but the kudos all go to the superb team effort of the Port lads.  Two wins against two of the teams expected to be there or thereabouts in September and the signs are good.

;D Fremantle 87-39 Gold Coast ;D
You know, it hadn't rained in Perth since the end of November; that's right, about four months of sun, sun, and more fekkin sun.  Now we all need a bit of rain here in Perth, but for the heavens to open at 4.38pm on Saturday afternoon, two minutes before the bounce down at our first fekkin home game - you couldn't have scripted it!  Well it rained, and rained and only stopped at halftime by which time I was drenched through.  But being from Co. Derry, I'm used to a bit of precipitation, and it didn't stop us enjoying a really solid Freo win.  It wasn't pretty, which is to be expected in the circumstances.  But the efforts of the Freo midfield - the average size being 6'2" - and our giant ruckman Sandilands, all 6'11" of him, were fantastic and augur well for the battles that lie ahead.  Special mention to Ryan Crowley who kept Gary Ablett to 20 or so touches (Ablett's average is closer to 40 a game) and zero goals.  Not many can do what Crowls does.  He's a real cult figure at Freo and although not a glamour player, he's such a valuable asset to the team.

Collingwood 89-69 Sydney
Oh dear, the meeja vultures are feasting on the second Swans defeat in succession.  Has the Buddy Franklin transfer signalled the demise (already) of one of this year's premiership favourites?  You'd think Buddy was the only reason for the second loss.  I didn't see or listen to this game but the highlights seem to indicate that it was more the guts and effort of the Pies than anything else.  No Marty Clarke as expected considering his efforts (or lack thereof) in the first game.  It does help having some of your big names back, too.

Geelong 93-68 Brisbane
A second "gallant" loss for the Lions with the Cats really stretching their dominance in the final quarter.   It would be a fool to suggest the Cats won't be around in the latter part of September.  Again, the highlights and written reports are my source of info but it would appear that the lowly position of the Lions belies the true potential of the team and I have a sneaking suspicion they will make the top 8 this season.

Drugs-to-thugs 123-30 Melbourne.
Putrid garbage shown live across the nation.  Why, oh why, Channel 7?  The coach of the winners even admitted that they haven't been tested and looking at the fixtures it is clear that they have three easy games in the first weeks.  How things will change thereafter.  As for Melbourne...dear God! 

North Melbourne 83-54 Western Bulldogs
The pain will continue for the doggies for another season, that's for sure, and at best five wins for the season will be their aim.  I didn't see the game but by all accounts it was average enough.  Still a win is a win for one of the top 8 favourites.

Round Two ends with the two WA teams firmly on top, many percentage points ahead of the rest. 
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

JimStynes

Quote from: Aerlik on March 30, 2014, 04:14:59 PM
ROUND TWO

Richmond 98-86 Carlton
An exciting game to listen to on the auld wireless - damned that auld work bollix - and what a finish to a really exciting game.  Carlton were dead and buried in the first half, Richmond went to sleep in the second half but woke up in the final three or four minutes to snatch an unlikely victory.  Last week Carlton were outclassed by Port and in this game it looked like the same was to happen for a second week but Richmond did enough to win.  Second loss for Mick Malthouse.  Would have loved to have been that fly on the Carlton changing room wall.

Hawthorn 90-86 Essendon
Well, this is why I watch this game.  What entertainment and as a neutral with no love for either club I watched every minute and loved it.  Great stuff.  What a finish.  Watch the highlights folks.  And to have done it without the efforts of Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell.  On the other hand Essendon finished without a recognised Ruckman. In a game of big, strong bodies, not having the biggest of big men will be too much.  It was. 

St. Kilda 95-88 Greater Western Sydney
Many, including myself, picked the Giants to win this game based on their stirling efforts in Round One.  Maybe the two-week gap proved to be their downfall but the experience of St.Kilda got them over the line.  However there will be a few lean years before there is the relative glory of the last few seasons of the last decade at St.Kilda.  By all accounts it was a really exciting game to watch not so much for the quality of the game but for the closeness of the score and the novel prospect of the Giants winning two-in-a-row for the first time in their short history.

Port Adelaide 127-73 Adelaide
The new Adelaide oval was christened with an early season "showdown" and what a game it was.  I watched this game and up to the end of the third quarter it was touch and go.  But the way Port Adelaide have been playing for the past year is really a revelation for the AFL.  They have recruited cleverly and in Chad Wingard, they have a lad who is as exciting a prospect as a certain Gary Ablett Jr. was 7 or 8 years ago.  Adelaide have their own superstar in Patrick Dangerfield but the kudos all go to the superb team effort of the Port lads.  Two wins against two of the teams expected to be there or thereabouts in September and the signs are good.

;D Fremantle 87-39 Gold Coast ;D
You know, it hadn't rained in Perth since the end of November; that's right, about four months of sun, sun, and more fekkin sun.  Now we all need a bit of rain here in Perth, but for the heavens to open at 4.38pm on Saturday afternoon, two minutes before the bounce down at our first fekkin home game - you couldn't have scripted it!  Well it rained, and rained and only stopped at halftime by which time I was drenched through.  But being from Co. Derry, I'm used to a bit of precipitation, and it didn't stop us enjoying a really solid Freo win.  It wasn't pretty, which is to be expected in the circumstances.  But the efforts of the Freo midfield - the average size being 6'2" - and our giant ruckman Sandilands, all 6'11" of him, were fantastic and augur well for the battles that lie ahead.  Special mention to Ryan Crowley who kept Gary Ablett to 20 or so touches (Ablett's average is closer to 40 a game) and zero goals.  Not many can do what Crowls does.  He's a real cult figure at Freo and although not a glamour player, he's such a valuable asset to the team.

Collingwood 89-69 Sydney
Oh dear, the meeja vultures are feasting on the second Swans defeat in succession.  Has the Buddy Franklin transfer signalled the demise (already) of one of this year's premiership favourites?  You'd think Buddy was the only reason for the second loss.  I didn't see or listen to this game but the highlights seem to indicate that it was more the guts and effort of the Pies than anything else.  No Marty Clarke as expected considering his efforts (or lack thereof) in the first game.  It does help having some of your big names back, too.

Geelong 93-68 Brisbane
A second "gallant" loss for the Lions with the Cats really stretching their dominance in the final quarter.   It would be a fool to suggest the Cats won't be around in the latter part of September.  Again, the highlights and written reports are my source of info but it would appear that the lowly position of the Lions belies the true potential of the team and I have a sneaking suspicion they will make the top 8 this season.

Drugs-to-thugs 123-30 Melbourne.
Putrid garbage shown live across the nation.  Why, oh why, Channel 7?  The coach of the winners even admitted that they haven't been tested and looking at the fixtures it is clear that they have three easy games in the first weeks.  How things will change thereafter.  As for Melbourne...dear God! 

North Melbourne 83-54 Western Bulldogs
The pain will continue for the doggies for another season, that's for sure, and at best five wins for the season will be their aim.  I didn't see the game but by all accounts it was average enough.  Still a win is a win for one of the top 8 favourites.

Round Two ends with the two WA teams firmly on top, many percentage points ahead of the rest. 

Don't forget about the Freo players (some who are currently on their list) take drugs in a nightclub in Perth! Drugs are right throughout the league id say! How's the young fella getting on? Taking any hangers?

Aerlik

The club got rid of two in question, Broughton and Palmer, and Johnson was punished and has turned himself around and has been putting in sterling efforts ever since.  He was within a smidgen of getting sacked and, as you know, I was not at all impressed as his junior club is the same as my son's, so I didn't appreciate that as an example.

Mini-me has just finished the cricket season and got selected for the district's team (I suppose the equivalent to playing county GAA).  His da is something of a convert having been in the nets for a few sessions...got the bruises to prove it.  He broke his arm badly at the start of last year's footy season so missed all of 2013 and is raring to go in 2014.  And yes, the hanger is still being practiced.  Again, I have the bruises to prove it.

Re. the Eagles, one of the players was recently sentenced to a custodial period for an assault on a man outside a nightclub breaking his jaw.  And then, just last week, former senior coach Worsfield came out and contradicted EVERYTHING said before about the drug culture at the club, stating that the club DID know what was going on with Cousins, Chick, Gardiner etc but that the club was powerless to do anything.  And I distinctly recall the CEO denying everything back then, too.  Were it a one-off event I'd have forgiven and forgotten but the fact that the club lied to everyone, especially to its fans - the very people who keep the club afloat - is unforgiveable, and have made no attempt to rectify those wrongs.  And the fact that they keep raving on about past "glories" and have a "charity" night in honour of a former player who was into the drugs with Cousins and died from an overdose... 'nuff said. ;)

AlriteHorse

No prizes for guessing who you support Aerlik!

What's your stance on players biting?? Bit of an incident involving your old team here and our own there the other week. Our guy got a red but to be fair, he shouldn't have had his neck in the other guys mouth.  ;) (I sh*t you not.)
Allez les bleus! Forza azzurri!

Aerlik

No denying it 'Horse, Freo to the core.  Sent you a pm.

Club Rossa

Devastating display from the Hawks today,blew Fremantle away.No team in the AFL could live with Hawthorn when they're in that form.

Aerlik

Round Three

>:( Hawthorn Too much - Fremantle Not enough.
Jaysus H Christ that was a fcukin shite effort to be the so-called Grand Final replay.  NO excuses from me, not even the absence of three first-team player.  Freo were diabolical, with no structure or anything.  Hawthorn were made to look good by some woeful decision-making and shite goal kicking.  I'm sure the neighbours were glad I switched off at the end of the first quarter.  Yes, it was THAT bad.  (psst. for the record the final score was 137 - 79)

Western Bulldogs 100 - 98 Richmond
Well, if the efforts of my team were simply woeful, the efforts of the bulldogs were simply admirable.  Fancied by no-one and expected to be thrashed this was a great TV game to watch.  Real edge-of-the-seat stuff and considering the terrible decisions which almost gifted Richmond a victory through very dubious mark calls to Jack Riewoldt, justice was done.  Great stuff.

Sydney 134 - 71 Adelaide
I honestly thought that Adelaide, a team tipped to be a top-four team, would continue the Swans' woes, but thankfully I am not a gambler.  I didn't watch the game only the highlights and, oh dear, Adelaide are in a bit of strife.  The $10 million man kicked a bagful and perhaps, just perhaps, the Swans are on the way up.

Gold Coast 114 - 61 Brisbane
My third wrong tip for the day - I did tip Hawthorn though :-[  The Emperor Ablett again excelled and ripped through the Lions' midfield and to add injury to insult, their top midfielder, Daniel Rich, was seriously injured with an ACL injury.  Good effort from Pearse Hanley by all accounts.  Oh, and to see the AFL of old, check out the assault, errrrr, tackle of Daniel Merrett on the Gold Coast player.  And he only got two weeks.  Two effin weeks, and the wankers at the Match Review Panel banned Freo's Nat Fyfe for two weeks for a shoulder charge. NO justice. 

West Coast 83 - 58 St. Kilda.
Jaysus for three quarters of the game there was a real pleasant shock on the cards, then the Saints fell asleep.  Probably all that jetlag Vic teams complain about having to travel to Perth twice a year.  I watched this game and whilst expecting the thugs to win, I never expected that they'd be so dire.  Oh dear, they may be top of the pile but when they start playing a team from beyond the bottom three of the team, there'll be a pleasant drop down the ranks.  Cue their game this weekend.

Geelong 87 - 76 Collingwood
I listened to this on the wireless while watching the thugs on the TV.  This was what the round needed.  A great game by two very committed teams.  Very exciting stuff and a superb mark from one of the smallest men on the field.  Worth a look at the highlights if you can.

Greater Western Sydney 79 - 47 Melbourne
The misery at Melbourne continues.  For a change I'd have liked to have seen this game on the TV (I refuse to pay to watch Melbourne unless playing Freo).  It was not the best of efforts from either team.  Suddenly GWS find themselves in the heady heights of the Top 8 for the first time in their short history.  Hmmmm, might not last so long.  Melbourne?  well....back-to-back wooden spoons beckon.

North Melbourne 97 - 90 Port Adelaide
Oops many of us tippers stuffed up here.  I seriously thought the Power juggernaut would continue but the Roos fought tooth and nail to display the kind of promise many have talked about.  I didn't see the game only the highlights and if the Roos continue with this form, well, perhaps that elusive Top 8 position may not be so elusive after all.

Essendon 138 - 57 Carlton.
I usually reserve the adjective "shite" to describe Melbourne or GWS games (cough, cough and on occasion the odd Freo game).  Well, if Freo played shite, Carlton were utter shite.  Terrible.  Just made Essendon look really good.  I turned off at half-time as it really was that bad.  Got to feel a pity for Zac Tuohy who did make something of an effort.  Surely Carlton have to improve.  I mean, they couldn't get much worse.

Ball Hopper

Question for Aerlik:

Can you fill us in on games free to air and pay-per-view.  Is there a set schedule at the beginning if the season?  And how much are the pay games...and can you view any game you wish?

Might be topic for us and the GAA is all.

Aerlik

Sorry lad/ladette,
not sure.  I do know there is Fox Footy and ESPN carry games which my friends in Scotland were able to view last year.  Try the website for any leads.  www.afl.com.au might get you what you need to know.

Aerlik

Round Four (Apologies for the delay...holidays!!!)

Collingwood 110-72 Richmond
Much was made of this game seeing as both teams had pretty mediocre starts to the season.  In the end the better power and teamwork of the pies saw them through easily.  Whilst the pies' form is seen as on the rise following the (ahem) slaughtering by Freo in R1, the daggers are getting an extra dose of sharpening at Richmond.  They appear to be a team of one or two genuinely talented players such as Cotchin, supplemented by several OK players.  However, the season is long.

Melbourne 81-58 Carlton
Yes, you read that correctly.  I happily watched one of the worst examples of AFL footy on Saturday afternoon as it was telecast 1 hour after the final siren and I knew the result and I wanted to see the reaction of the Carlton boss, Mick Malthouse.  Gold.  Nothing to rave about but it was nice to see one of the "potential" flag favourites get beaten by the most under-performing team over the past three years.  There is a knock knock joke doing the rounds.  Person to Malthouse (Carlton coach):  Knock knock! Who's there? Owen!  Owen who?  Oh 'n Four (reference to the 0-4 record of the is season)

Port Adelaide 159 - 46 Brisbane.
I didn't see any of this game and based on this score I didn't miss anything.    The Lions are now firmly at the bottom of the ladder and the situation is compounded with the loss to injury of several key players including Pearce Hanley with a hamstring issue.  Hope he is back soon as this is fast turning into a fiasco.  On the other hand, my other team, Port Adelaide, are back on form after last week's loss.  Just hope they continue and thrash the Eagles on Saturday night here.

Western Bulldogs 110-83 Greater Western Sydney
I only watched the 5-minute highlights of this game and though it was a close scoring game until the last quarter, it was pretty average stuff.  It's sad when teams are booking in wins against these two teams as ways of gaining points.   

Geelong 107-32 West Coast
You know, there are some things almost as equally as enjoyable as Freo winning bigly, but not nearly as enjoyable as that mob getting belted.  I gave up watching this game just after half-time such was the one-sidedness.  Eagles did not kick a goal after the first quarter, and that early season enthusiasm and dreaming of winning the premiership after wins over St. Kilda, Melbourne and  some other shite team has suddenly been mauled by the reality that the first three teams were shite.  Long may it continue.

Hawthorn 148 - 49 Gold Coast
Oh dear God, dunno to feel awe for the Hawks or sympathy for the Suns.  Didn't see the game, but again probably not a bad thing.

North Melbourne 91-48 Sydney
The problem with having multiple games on at the same time (practically) in different states is that you only get to see one.  This was such a very emphatic, significant win on many levels, not least that of the Swans Club now denying all rumours that there are tensions in the club.  I won't write them off ... just yet...although a defeat next Saturday may have a very significant impact on their season.  I wasn't expecting this result.

Adelaide 136-50 St. Kilda
Oops another result I did not anticipate.  The Crows registered their first win of the season in quite emphatic style.  I didn't see the game and again the result not so subtly reflects the quality of the game.

Fremantle 113-60 Essendon
I must confess to going to this game EXPECTING a loss.  Well, how I was proven wrong, in the best way possible.  The Melbourne meeja are blaming all sorts of reasons for the Dons' loss.  How about they were beaten by a superb Freo team?  This game had it all; great goals, great marks, hard tackles and impressive goal kicking.  One is impressed. ;D

samboswig

Sorry if it has been asked before or posted before but does anyone have any links to watch a weekly AFL roundup show or a highlights package for this year?
Good on ya maaaaate

Aerlik

Samboswig, go to the AFL.com.au website after every round and there you can find a highlights video for each game.  They usually only last for 5 or 6 minutes though.  Hope this helps.

Aerlik

Round Five (ahem...bit late, I know)

Unfortunately I didn't see a single game of this round due to work and this summary of results is based on the highlights reel I viewed.

Richmond 106-63 Brisbane
A game the Tigers just had to win and they did but not convincingly.  The Lions are firmly stuck at the bottom of the pile.  Different story 10 years ago.

Collingwood 93-58 North Melbourne
One of the biggest rivalries in the Melbourne scene and the Magpies' resurgence continues.

Sydney 92-75 Fremantle
I expected the lads to do way better than this, but I forgot about Buddy Franklin.  4 second half goals was pretty much the difference.  Not happy...at all.

Port Adelaide 70-56 West Coast
Well, if we don't win then there is always a Drug Thugs' loss to celebrate.   And as it happens, Port are my "second/other" team. 

St.Kilda 81-65 Essendon
Is the pressure on the other drug-infested team getting too much?  This was one game that Essendon SHOULD have won, no question about it.  But I sense a rebirth at St. Kilda with some signs of great things to come.

Adelaide 137-72 Greater Western Sydney
Not surprised that the Crows won, but I am surprised by the margin as I thought the Giants would have been a lot more competitive.

Gold Coast 86-72 Melbourne
Signs were that the Demons might just be starting to get a bit of intensity to their game and for a period of this game that appeared to be the case.  But signs are appearing that maybe the Suns will make their first ever finals.  Hope so.  Ablett is something else.

Carlton 119-91 Western Bulldogs.
Form suggested a Bulldogs win but Carlton got it's first win of the season.  Close enough though.

Geelong 107-86 Hawthorn
This win put Geelong top of the table with 5 out of 5, and it was Hawthorn's first loss.  Tough and uncompromising.  Great effort from the Cats' forward, Tom (Tomahawk) Hawkins.

Aerlik

Round Six - ANZAC round

Collingwood 83-60 Essendon
The game that annually attracts the highest attendance after the Grand Final.  What a turnaround  for Collingwood.  At the end of the first quarter Essendon were running riot and were all over the Pies leading by more than 30 points.   Collingwood couldn't a bull's arse with a baking board.  And then they started to play.  Nuff said.

Brisbane 82-79 St. Kilda
The Saints had hoped to win this game as it was their "home" game, albeit played in New Zealand as part of the AFL's effort to internationalise the game.  But it broke Brisbane's duck for the season.  Exciting enough in the last quarter.

North Melbourne 74-61 Fremantle  >:( >:( >:( >:(
Shite.  So glad I didn't go to this game as from what I have heard it was a pretty dismal effort in the second half.  First home loss in a year.  A really significant loss as Freo needed the points to keep in contention with the leaders.  Bollix.

Gold Coast 134-94 Greater Western Sydney
As expected a Suns win.  Didn't see any of the game.

Carlton 92-89 West Coast
As with last week, a Freo loss is monumentally more palatable when the Drug Thugs lose.  And how they lost.  23 points up in the early stages of the final quarter and then the implosion began.  Oh and how we cheered every behind and hit post.  Jeez I hate that club.

Sydney 69-38 Melbourne
Thankfully this shite wasn't on terrestrial TV.  Nothing of interest other than Buddy Franklin's injury.

Adelaide 92-83 Western Bulldogs
Sadly this wasn't available in Perth.  Good, hard, close game and only two kicks between the teams.

Hawthorn 118-52 Richmond
Shockingly this shite was on TV.  Horrendous.  There is almost an expectation among some clubs that this will be their year, and Richmond are pumped up to no end by the meeeja.  Well, this year most definitely won't be their year if that is the sum total of their efforts.

Port Adelaide 107-67 Geelong.
Not many teams beat the Cats  and even fewer beat them by more than 10 points.  But for Port to win by 40 is phenomenal.  Great effort which saw the Power advancing to the top of the table.  Theirs has been a wonderful turnaround with a shrew coach and two great players in Justin Westhoff and Chad Wingard.

TabClear

Big wins for freo and the bombers this week or they were in danger of losing touch.