Philip Seymour Hoffman dies

Started by Zulu, February 02, 2014, 07:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

QuoteGood lad let it all out. Don't worry though time is a great healer.

This coming from a guy who started ranting on a thread about a mans death. ::) ::) ::)

I'll leave you to it, you're not worth wasting time on.

QuoteYou are both right.

Orior, he isn't right. This guy did the internet equivalent of turning up a the man's funeral with a placard denouncing drug taking.

None of us are condoning drug taking, we were simply commenting on the death of someone we all know through his fame.

nrico2006

Quote from: Jonah on February 02, 2014, 08:14:45 PM
Quote from: Zulu on February 02, 2014, 08:09:41 PM
Oh Jesus wept, there's always one idiot.
Yeah you.
I'm sick of this faux outpouring of grief when someone famous dies.  Especially when that person is a selfish drug addict.  None of you would bat an eyelid if some druggie died on the cold dirty streets of Dublin or some other Irish city but when he's a famous actor then its a tragedy and you all can't get to the keyboard quick enough to say how bloody great he was.
If you don't want to die from drugs then don't do f**king drugs especially when you have 3 kids.

I do hate the over the top grief people show for famous people (especially those you see on TV crying their eyes out over some celebrity they never met) yet barely bat an eyelid at someone who has died from the bottom of their street.  On the flipside, I hate the way people on here can call some celebrity a 'selfish drug addict' yet what would the reaction be here if it were some top GAA player who died in a similar situation (either drugs or suicide)?  Would they have been selfish too?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

lawnseed

So I guess we'll 'sey no more hoffhim'  he was supposed to pick up his kids instead he was doing drugs. Kids money and a brillant career still wasnt enough. Hard to get too upset over this..
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

theskull1

As alternative country (i.e so nothing like Garth Brooks) singer songwriter Fred Eaglesmith wrote

Fame doesnt take away the pain
it just pays the bills
And you wind up on alcohol and pills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMuIXzZj7YY
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

lawnseed

Quote from: theskull1 on February 03, 2014, 10:53:00 AM
As alternative country (i.e so nothing like Garth Brooks) singer songwriter Fred Eaglesmith wrote

Fame doesnt take away the pain
it just pays the bills
And you wind up on alcohol and pills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMuIXzZj7YY
Great tune that you could keep singing it and just keep changing the names

easytiger95

What a sympathetic bunch we are today - should be proud of ourselves ::)

Hoffman was a gifted man, and unlike a lot of other gifted people, worked hugely hard and left, even at the relativelty young age of 46, a legacy that stands up against any actor working in Hollywood today. He wasn't a Brando or a Pacino - I think he was more of a character actor in the alec Guinness/Olivier mode. He was also an immensely talented theatre director.

The word genius is thrown about too often in obits - but I first thought he was blessed/cursed with it after seeing his immensely empathethic role in "Magnolia".

Of course I didn't know the man, but with his own work, he shed a light on other peoples lives - the essence of great art.

Addiction and creativity are often intertwined - and the most tortured people can be the most illuminative of the human condition. It's a terrible situation for his family and kids, but just as there is no place for crocodile tears from ambulance chasing fans, there is no place for judgement from people who didn't know him. None of us can know what put the junkie on the street or the needle in the arm in any situation. Kindness shouldn't just be reserved for personal acquaintances.

RIP

Cold tea

Quote from: easytiger95 on February 03, 2014, 11:57:16 AM
What a sympathetic bunch we are today - should be proud of ourselves ::)

Hoffman was a gifted man, and unlike a lot of other gifted people, worked hugely hard and left, even at the relativelty young age of 46, a legacy that stands up against any actor working in Hollywood today. He wasn't a Brando or a Pacino - I think he was more of a character actor in the alec Guinness/Olivier mode. He was also an immensely talented theatre director.

The word genius is thrown about too often in obits - but I first thought he was blessed/cursed with it after seeing his immensely empathethic role in "Magnolia".

Of course I didn't know the man, but with his own work, he shed a light on other peoples lives - the essence of great art.

Addiction and creativity are often intertwined - and the most tortured people can be the most illuminative of the human condition. It's a terrible situation for his family and kids, but just as there is no place for crocodile tears from ambulance chasing fans, there is no place for judgement from people who didn't know him. None of us can know what put the junkie on the street or the needle in the arm in any situation. Kindness shouldn't just be reserved for personal acquaintances.

RIP

What a bullshit statement.

easytiger95

George Best, Jimi Hendrix, Rimbaud, Bob dylan (intermittently), John Lennon (listen to Cold Turkey), Syd Barret, Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, David Bowie, Lou Reed (listen to Heroin), Dylan Thomas, Brendan Behan, Lord Byron, David Foster Wallace, John Kennedy O'Toole, William Faulkner, F Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway.....

do you want me to go on - or do you want to continue to make bullshit statements?

lawnseed

Quote from: easytiger95 on February 03, 2014, 12:14:22 PM
George Best, Jimi Hendrix, Rimbaud, Bob dylan (intermittently), John Lennon (listen to Cold Turkey), Syd Barret, Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, David Bowie, Lou Reed (listen to Heroin), Dylan Thomas, Brendan Behan, Lord Byron, David Foster Wallace, John Kennedy O'Toole, William Faulkner, F Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway.....

do you want me to go on - or do you want to continue to make bullshit statements?
Justin beiber :D

Cold tea

Quote from: easytiger95 on February 03, 2014, 12:14:22 PM

What does that prove, it proves rich people pay for drugs and sex.  You said Addiction and creativity are often intertwined - that's bullshit, the only reason that list exists is because they could afford to pay for drugs and sex, nothing to do with Addiction and creativity being intertwined and all to do with selfish rich people thinking they can do whatever the f**k they want because they are lorded by the pricks that surround them.

Cold tea

You reap what you sow in life, unfortunately these "celebs" leave the misery for their poor families to deal with.

Milltown Row2

A lot more poor people die of drug addiction than the rich and famous
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lawnseed

I think alot of them are murdered by their dealers.

Gerry ryan.. Whitney.. Elivis..

easytiger95

What it proves Cold Tea, is that you are a moron that can't read. To define that as a list of "celebs" just proves you should go back to the Daily Mail.com with the rest of the trolls. What is Bieber up to today, I wonder?

As for my original point, creativity and addiction are often intertwined - which they are, as people who are fairly high up the creative genius curve tend to have characteristics that can make them predisposed to addiction - that doesn't mean that they will become addicted, it also doesn't mean that their creative output is enhanced by their addictions.

You're right Milltown, but again that is because of enviromental factors that can leave people exposed/ predisposed to addiction e.g. if you're living in a block of flats where heroin is easily available, you're unemployed, under pressure, these can all be factors - but it doesn't mean you certainly will, and most people don't. What differeniates those who do and those who don't is the nature,soul and personal circumstances of the person, something none of us can fully claim to know. Which is what I was saying in response to people dancing a jig on a man's grave.

trileacman

This thread is pure WUM bait, f**k the lot of ye.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014