The 2014 Six Nations Thread

Started by screenexile, January 28, 2014, 10:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

QuoteDinny, I'm not sure about the 'professionalism' of Munster, if that's supposed to be a dig at them, but I've not heard too many outrageous tales about their professionalism or lack thereof, so I'm not sure why you mention that

No, no. PM sent.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

AZOffaly

Irish team named.

15 - Rob Kearney (Leinster)
14 - Andrew Trimble (Ulster)
13 - Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster)
12 - Luke Marshall (Ulster)
11 Dave Kearaney (Leinster)
10 - Jonny Sexton (Racing)
9 Conor Murray (Munster)
1 - Cian Healy (Leinster)
2 - Rory Best (Ulster)
3 - Mike Ross (Leinster)
4 - Devin Toner (Leinster)
5 - Paul O'Connell (Munster - Captain)
6 - Peter O'Mahony (Munster)
7 - Chris Henry (Ulster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Leinster)

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 31, 2014, 02:16:23 PM
Irish team named.

9 Conor Murray (Munster)
2 - Rory Best (Ulster)
3 - Mike Ross (Leinster)
7 - Chris Henry (Ulster)

Lots of UK journos reckon Joe Schmidt will bring a bit of je ne sais quoi to Ireland
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Good timing Dinny. Sat down to read the Munster Friday supplement in the indo and the first headline is "single training facility at UL to open in 2015".

The second thing was "joe Schmidt gave me great feedback on what I need to do, and that's all you want from a coach" - David Kilcoyne. 

trileacman

Quote from: seafoid on January 31, 2014, 02:38:41 PM
Irish team named.

9 Conor Murray (Munster)
2 - Rory Best (Ulster)
3 - Mike Ross (Leinster)
7 - Chris Henry (Ulster)

Lots of UK journos reckon Joe Schmidt will bring a bit of je ne sais quoi to Ireland

That's as disjointed a 15 that Ireland have named in a while. I'd be worried about us to be honest. Without the brilliance of Sexton at 10 and the work of O'Connell, Heaslip and Healy in the pack we would be as bad as Scotland or Italy. People seem to be building us up from the NZ performance but does anyone remember the shocking display against the Aussies were they tore us apart?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Walter Cronc

Quote from: trileacman on January 31, 2014, 06:48:58 PM
Irish team named.

9 Conor Murray (Munster)
2 - Rory Best (Ulster)
3 - Mike Ross (Leinster)
7 - Chris Henry (Ulster)

That's as disjointed a 15 that Ireland have named in a while. I'd be worried about us to be honest. Without the brilliance of Sexton at 10 and the work of O'Connell, Heaslip and Healy in the pack we would be as bad as Scotland or Italy. People seem to be building us up from the NZ performance but does anyone remember the shocking display against the Aussies were they tore us apart?

Disjointed? Explain?

trileacman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 31, 2014, 07:08:29 PM
Quote from: trileacman on January 31, 2014, 06:48:58 PM
Irish team named.

9 Conor Murray (Munster)
2 - Rory Best (Ulster)
3 - Mike Ross (Leinster)
7 - Chris Henry (Ulster)

Disjointed? Explain?

There is a Sexton, Marshall, BOD, Trimble axis there that'll take a while to settle. I've never been convinced by Trimble and don't think his recent performances warrant selection. Healy, Best and Ross are decent individuals but a poor scrummaging unit who the Aussies, the worst scrummaging unit in the Southern Hemisphere comfortably out-classed. O'Connell is ageing and you'd know it, the work just isn't in him and he won't last the championship pace. Toner is an odd 2nd row. Capable in the lineout but there's an awkwardness to his play in the loose that is un-nerving to watch. As pairing's go, they are not the well-augmented selection of O'Kelly/POC or DOC/POC, I think.

In fairness there is a balance to the selection in the back row that I haven't seen in years. Each player is suited well to his role and hopefully it will get the best out of all of them, especially Heaslip who drifts further and further towards a 6 style of play as his career goes on.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on January 29, 2014, 08:49:11 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on January 28, 2014, 10:08:00 PM
http://fantasyrugby.irishtimes.com/Index.aspx

anyone want to this again for the craic, missed out last year. will get league code if there is enough interest

GAA Board

League PIN: 61944 (You must give this PIN to any managers that you want in your league)

another few hours yet to enter if anyone interested - about 7/8 in so far
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

thewobbler

Not sure about disjointed. Seems a strange comment.

9 of that team have been en situ for the past 5 seasons.

Nobody has made a clear run for the no.4 jersey, while 6 and 7 are only available because of injury.

That leaves inside centre and the wings. Playing a recognised inside centre at 12 is hardly unbalanced, while two big and aggressive wingers is hardly a bizarre ploy.

By the way, for my money Trimble has been Ulster's outstanding winger for the past 3 years and this is long overdue. He doesn't have Bowe's swerve or Gilroy's sidestep, but he's superb in defence, can step in as a centre as required and knows how to finish.

Syferus

So BOD's career will end where it began, springtime in Paris. It would be wonderful if the championship was up for grabs heading to Stade de France, it would be a story book ending for our greatest player.

michaelg

Quote from: thewobbler on January 31, 2014, 08:57:43 PM

Nobody has made a clear run for the no.4 jersey, while 6 and 7 are only available because of injury.

That leaves inside centre and the wings. Playing a recognised inside centre at 12 is hardly unbalanced, while two big and aggressive wingers is hardly a bizarre ploy.

By the way, for my money Trimble has been Ulster's outstanding winger for the past 3 years and this is long overdue. He doesn't have Bowe's swerve or Gilroy's sidestep, but he's superb in defence, can step in as a centre as required and knows how to finish.
Twelve tries in 50 appearances is a pretty reasonable return given the amount of stick he gets too.  Compare this to Luke Fitzgerald who has two in 28 who never sees to have his selection questioned like Trimble does.

whitegoodman

Quote from: thewobbler on January 31, 2014, 08:57:43 PM

Would agree on the point on Trimble. Mark Anscombe has even moved Bowe to left wing to accommodate Trimble on the right, hope he has a good game on Sunday to prove doubters wrong.

Would have liked to see Tuohy and Moore start. Think Tuohy has been form second row this year and would compliment POC greatly.  Just don't rate Toner and think he struggles badly in scrum.  Moore has potential to be the tight head version of Healy and is now as good as Ross in the scrum and a lot lot better in the loose.

Capt Pat

So what are your predictions for Ireland in this years championship?

I will be optimistic and suggest 4 wins for Ireland against Scotland, Wales, Italy and one of England and France.

Syferus

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 01, 2014, 01:13:41 AM
So what are your predictions for Ireland in this years championship?

I will be optimistic and suggest 4 wins for Ireland against Scotland, Wales, Italy and one of England and France.

Which might well be enough for the title if things go our way in other games. Lord knows we've had enough close calls going against us in this tournament.