The 2014 Six Nations Thread

Started by screenexile, January 28, 2014, 10:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: screenexile on January 28, 2014, 10:09:11 AM

Ireland's 34-man squad to play Scotland and Wales: Forwards: Rory Best (Ulster), Robin Copeland (Cardiff Blues)*, Sean Cronin (Leinster), Cian Healy (Leinster), Jamie Heaslip (Leinster), Iain Henderson (Ulster), Chris Henry (Ulster), Mike McCarthy (Leinster), Jack McGrath (Leinster), Martin Moore (Leinster)*, Jordi Murphy (Leinster)*, Paul O'Connell (Munster), Tommy O'Donnell (Munster), Peter O'Mahony (Munster), Mike Ross (Leinster), Rhys Ruddock (Leinster), Devin Toner (Leinster), Dan Tuohy (Ulster).

Backs: Darren Cave (Ulster), Gordon D'Arcy (Leinster), Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster), Robbie Henshaw (Connacht), Paddy Jackson (Ulster), Felix Jones (Munster), Rob Kearney (Leinster), David Kearney (Leinster), Ian Madigan (Leinster), Luke Marshall (Ulster), Fergus McFadden (Leinster), Conor Murray (Munster), Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster), Eoin Reddan (Leinster), Jonathan Sexton (Racing Metro 92), Andrew Trimble (Ulster).

* denotes uncapped player
They've gotten the name format wrong for starters...J.P.R. Heaslip, P.J. O'Connell.

Do they not list the occupations of these players?
Which ones are the barristers and surgeons from D4 and which are the chimney sweeps and coal miners from Limerick?

deiseach

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 28, 2014, 05:13:22 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 28, 2014, 10:09:11 AM

Ireland's 34-man squad to play Scotland and Wales: Forwards: Rory Best (Ulster), Robin Copeland (Cardiff Blues)*, Sean Cronin (Leinster), Cian Healy (Leinster), Jamie Heaslip (Leinster), Iain Henderson (Ulster), Chris Henry (Ulster), Mike McCarthy (Leinster), Jack McGrath (Leinster), Martin Moore (Leinster)*, Jordi Murphy (Leinster)*, Paul O'Connell (Munster), Tommy O'Donnell (Munster), Peter O'Mahony (Munster), Mike Ross (Leinster), Rhys Ruddock (Leinster), Devin Toner (Leinster), Dan Tuohy (Ulster).

Backs: Darren Cave (Ulster), Gordon D'Arcy (Leinster), Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster), Robbie Henshaw (Connacht), Paddy Jackson (Ulster), Felix Jones (Munster), Rob Kearney (Leinster), David Kearney (Leinster), Ian Madigan (Leinster), Luke Marshall (Ulster), Fergus McFadden (Leinster), Conor Murray (Munster), Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster), Eoin Reddan (Leinster), Jonathan Sexton (Racing Metro 92), Andrew Trimble (Ulster).

* denotes uncapped player
They've gotten the name format wrong for starters...J.P.R. Heaslip, P.J. O'Connell.

Do they not list the occupations of these players?
Which ones are the barristers and surgeons from D4 and which are the chimney sweeps and coal miners from Limerick?

QuoteAnother day of county cricket was about to start.

The public address system clicked on and a voice informed the spectators that there was a change on their scorecards. The adjustment was not to replace one player with another on the Middlesex side but to change the way that Fred Titmus' name was printed there.

On the card, his name had been printed as F.J. Titmus. What could possible be wrong with this? Well, plenty, it seemed. Only amateurs had their initials printed before their surname. Titmus was a professional and his name should have been put on the scorecard surname first, followed by his initials. Titmus F.J. and not F.J. Titmus.

Hoof Hearted

http://fantasyrugby.irishtimes.com/Index.aspx

anyone want to this again for the craic, missed out last year. will get league code if there is enough interest
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Dinny Breen

Sure go on missed been runner up last year again
#newbridgeornowhere

theticklemister

Capt Pat

Go for it hoof hearted. I'll give it a lash.

trileacman

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 28, 2014, 04:08:08 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 28, 2014, 04:00:23 PM
I'm an Irish fan foremost ya turnip muncher and can't understand how anyone rates Archer as an International player.

Zebo needs to mature off the pitch and I reckon that's a factor in his omission.

Be honest Dinny, you can't see any Munster player as an international unless he's 10 times better than his Leinster equivalent. You're so parochial :)

And if we are talking about off the pitch maturity there's about a million international rugby players who should not be capped.

Agreed, Dinny does his best to w**k on about every Leinster player at any opportunity and castigated Kidney for his pro-Munster bias, now that the shoe is on the other foot he can't see the wood for the trees.

I believe O'Driscoll or ROG didn't mature much of the pitch in their younger days so that's a load of shite. Cronin is a fella who could do with some maturing too so I've heard.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dinny Breen

Quote from: trileacman on January 29, 2014, 06:20:12 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 28, 2014, 04:08:08 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 28, 2014, 04:00:23 PM
I'm an Irish fan foremost ya turnip muncher and can't understand how anyone rates Archer as an International player.

Zebo needs to mature off the pitch and I reckon that's a factor in his omission.

Be honest Dinny, you can't see any Munster player as an international unless he's 10 times better than his Leinster equivalent. You're so parochial :)

And if we are talking about off the pitch maturity there's about a million international rugby players who should not be capped.

Agreed, Dinny does his best to w**k on about every Leinster player at any opportunity and castigated Kidney for his pro-Munster bias, now that the shoe is on the other foot he can't see the wood for the trees.

I believe O'Driscoll or ROG didn't mature much of the pitch in their younger days so that's a load of shite. Cronin is a fella who could do with some maturing too so I've heard.

read between the lines regarding Zebo

I'm not a provincial fan, I like the Munster team couldn't abide the liginds and passion shit their fans came out with and how every Munster player is better than his opposite number even John Kelly should have started ahead of BOD. I have a lot of time for Declan but he was so Munstercentric it was embarrassing . The new man is a Kiwi and his own man not ruled by the Cork Con Mafia, judge him  in 2 years.
#newbridgeornowhere

ziggy90

Quote from: muppet on January 28, 2014, 03:52:20 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 28, 2014, 03:50:17 PM
Piss off Dinny, not being parochial. Some of ye Leinster lads are very touchy. Mea culpa on o'donnell I thought I read a squad without him earlier.

Archer and Kilcoyne will feel hard done by, but I think I said that keatley and Zeno were fair enough. So stick parochial up your land rover driving hole :)

No need to get all Burberry!  ;D

Burberry is for Zulu Warriors!!
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on January 28, 2014, 10:08:00 PM
http://fantasyrugby.irishtimes.com/Index.aspx

anyone want to this again for the craic, missed out last year. will get league code if there is enough interest

GAA Board

League PIN: 61944 (You must give this PIN to any managers that you want in your league)
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

trileacman

Wales and France both have solid teams out for the first match, serious potential in the French side, if a slightly lightweight pack.

trileacman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 29, 2014, 07:55:09 PM

I'm not a provincial fan, I like the Munster team couldn't abide the liginds and passion shit their fans came out with and how every Munster player is better than his opposite number even John Kelly should have started ahead of BOD. I have a lot of time for Declan but he was so Munstercentric it was embarrassing . The new man is a Kiwi and his own man not ruled by the Cork Con Mafia, judge him in 2 years.

Well if Schmidt's Kiwi credentials imbue him some neutrality then as an Ulsterman, who has no beef with Munster or Leinster, I have to say you appear to have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to the boys in red. Why degrade them so with this "Cork Con Mafia" slur, we were just discussing the disposition towards Leinster players in the squad.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: trileacman on January 31, 2014, 12:34:57 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 29, 2014, 07:55:09 PM

I'm not a provincial fan, I like the Munster team couldn't abide the liginds and passion shit their fans came out with and how every Munster player is better than his opposite number even John Kelly should have started ahead of BOD. I have a lot of time for Declan but he was so Munstercentric it was embarrassing . The new man is a Kiwi and his own man not ruled by the Cork Con Mafia, judge him in 2 years.

Well if Schmidt's Kiwi credentials imbue him some neutrality then as an Ulsterman, who has no beef with Munster or Leinster, I have to say you appear to have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to the boys in red. Why degrade them so with this "Cork Con Mafia" slur, we were just discussing the disposition towards Leinster players in the squad.

You obviously know nothing about Irish rugby politics and the struggles since turning professional. Cork Con are the single most powerful club in Ireland, the lack of a singular training centre has held Munster back and subsequently Ireland, why was that allowed to develop? Why was Garland let go? Why did we have to put up with 2 coaches who had over stayed their time?

Why so many Leinster players?  Schmidt's coaching philosophy is centred on professionalism, accuracy and clarity, the Leinster players have a head start they know what the man expects, all players in the Irish squad will know where they stand with Schmidt period. When they leave the squad they will be given work-ons i.e. things to improve their game, he will make every player in his squads better, it's then up to the player to show his worth, no more favourites, no more perceived quotas. If the 15 best players all just happen to wear the red of Munster I couldn't care less because for the first time since Gatland  Ireland will have the best 15 available.

As for the game Sunday which we should be talking about, I think Ireland Ireland will win and will win well. They should cover the spread.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

I think they'll lose. Too many Leinster players.

I'm joking of course. Leinster and Ulster are currently the best two provinces in the country, and that's why they have the most players. Given that a significant number of Ulster's best players are not eligible, that further skews the balance Leinster's way. I do think there are a few marginal calls in there, but it's hardly any surprise that someone working with Leinster for the past couple of years feels more comfortable in tight calls with players he knows. No real issue with it. I'm sure when Donnacha Ryan, Keith Earls and Simon Zebo come back to full fitness, they'll make their way in. I also think lads like Kilcoyne and Archer will respond well to the challenge which will be good for Munster. Young Cronin and Casey are also coming through at loosehead and hooker as well, and I expect them to continue to develop.

Dinny, I'm not sure about the 'professionalism' of Munster, if that's supposed to be a dig at them, but I've not heard too many outrageous tales about their professionalism or lack thereof, so I'm not sure why you mention that. I think the biggest reason why Leinster are better today is because they have better players. Declan Kidney destroyed the Munster Academy by ignoring it, and it's only now that it's beginning to provide promising players again. Tony McGahan was a poor enough first team coach, but he has to take credit for realising the Academy was in trouble and trying to do something about it.

Also, as regards the Cork/Limerick thing, I'm not sure how it has held Munster back as it was the case when Munster were winning European Cups as well. Maybe things have moved on, and the arrangement needs to be looked at again, but it's a fact of life down here that there are two centres of population, and two centres of player pool. I don't think that's a huge factor. Although you are right about Cork Con.

If I look at the Munster squad for the last game at Thomond Park v Edinburgh, how many would I feel are good enough for a place on an Ireland squad at the moment, borderline, future prospects or not at that standard.

15 - Felix Jones (Not at that Standard)
14 - Keith Earls (Good Enough)
13 - Casey Laulala (N/A)
12 - James Downey (Not at that Standard)
11 - Johne Murphy (Not at that Standard)
10 - Ian Keatley (Not at that Standard)
9 - Conor Murray (Good Enough)
1 - David Kilcoyne (Borderline)
2 - Damien Varley (Not at that Standard)
3 - Stephen Archer (Borderline)
4 - David Foley (Future Prospect)
5 - Paul O'Connell (Good Enough)
6 - Peter O'Mahoney (Good Enough)
7 - Tommy O'Donnell (Borderline)
8 - James Coughlan (Not at that Standard)

16 - Duncan Casey (Future Prospect)
17 - James Cronin (Future Prospect)
18 - BJ Botha (Not sure of BJs eligibility, but even so probably borderline at best)
19 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Not at that Standard any more)
20 - Paddy Butler (Future Prospect)
21 - Duncan Williams (Not at that Standard)
22 - JJ Hanrahan (Future Prospect)
23 - Simon Zebo (Good Enough)

Also

Donnacha Ryan is Good Enough,

Mike Sherry is Borderline,

Andrew Conway is a Future Prospect
Dave O'Callaghan is a Future Prospect

There's a couple of others that are borderline future prospects like Ronan O'Mahoney and Cathal Sheridan, but they are not 21 or 22, so they may be missing the boat.

AZOffaly

As regards this game on Sunday, I'd always be nervous of the Scots in the first game. If they've had a few kickings already, then fair enough, but they can be sticky hoors if they still have fire in them. They've also got to be hoping the forecast for wind and rain is true, because that will stop Ireland moving it wide or through the hands at all really. I'm not sure there's one player I'd take over their Irish opposite number, but sometimes that doesn't matter a shite.