You can visit the graveyard and pray but don't be taking any tea.

Started by orangeman, December 02, 2013, 11:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

New guidelines for graveyards in a new Ireland.

Mourners told: no packed lunches or tea in graveyard

A PARISH priest has warned mourners that they cannot eat packed lunches and drink flasks of tea while visiting their dead in local cemeteries.

Fr John Walsh also warned parishioners that he may remove large gaudy headstones, statues and trinkets from plots if they do not conform to strict new graveyard rules.

People in Buncrana, Co Donegal, were yesterday informed that 25-year-old rules governing local cemeteries have been revised to account for ever-decreasing capacity and new minimalist American-style lawn graves.

They were also told to respect the sanctity of the cemetery by not eating or drinking or talking loudly within the grounds.

"Visitors must observe that the cemeteries are sacred places and act accordingly, avoiding any loud or boisterous talking, loitering on the grounds, or in any of the buildings, bringing refreshments into the cemeteries or consuming them on the grounds," said Fr Walsh yesterday.

Parishioners were also advised not to close any deal with monument sculptors without first obtaining prior approval for their chosen memorial.

"We can't be having headstones in the shape of Transit vans and all sorts. People should check before they spend thousands on the wrong one. It will be a saving for them in the long run," Fr Walsh said.

The maximum height of headstones at the parish's two cemeteries has now been set at 4ft (1.22 metres) with an exception for Celtic crosses that can rise to 8ft (2.44 metres). Double-width graves are banned in favour of single (8ft x 4ft) graves with a maximum depth for two interment – except where more are requested.

"The parish reserves the right to prohibit the erection of any monument, considered as inappropriate either in material, workmanship or location, or which might interfere with the general effect, or obstruct any principal view of the cemeteries," he said.

The Sunday bulletin yesterday advised people to consult the lengthy new rules at the parish office or website.

The town's largest graveyard – St Mary's, Cockhill – is a sprawling cemetery with headstones of every shape and size dating back 150 years. The parish has favoured lawn-covered plots since 1989, to allow for ease of maintenance and upkeep. Local residents do not have to pay for a plot.

Meanwhile, parishioners have been informed that they can no longer erect kerbstones, kneel-stones, surrounds, fences or scatter gravel on plots. Any new memorial or other item that does not conform may be removed without notice, but any existing headstones will not be removed, Fr Walsh confirmed. He said untidy graves would not be tolerated.

"Vases, flowers, plants, trees, ornaments of any description, gravel and kerbstones are not permitted outside the area of the headstone. Any item which obstructs mowing will be removed, including items placed on the headstone plinth that project beyond the plinth."

Vending and advertising are also banned

Rois

Have you seen Winnie the Pooh and Tigger in a Lurgan graveyard?  Human size figures.  Scary!

Tony Baloney

All for this. If I had my way all graveyards would look like this...

glens abu

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 02, 2013, 12:58:28 PM

Have to agree with that,visited these graveyards in France and was very impressed.

Orior

As an amateur historian who has tramped through a graveyard or two I feel that this is a bit of a dilemma.

I understand how families like to mark their graves with fond memories, but some of it just looks plain silly and out of place. Worse, it detracts from the whole ambiance of the surroundings.

Best headstone ever, was for a solicitor called John Strange and I think it might be true. His headstone simply said "Here lies John, an honest solicitor".

People would read the headstone and say "An honest solicitor? That's strange!"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

QuoteA PARISH priest has warned mourners that they cannot eat packed lunches and drink flasks of tea while visiting their dead in local cemeteries.

They'd also need to ban smoking. It is not unsual at funerals to see people throwing butts on neighbouring graves, smokers respect neither the living nor the dead.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

orangeman

Quote from: Rois on December 02, 2013, 12:38:12 PM
Have you seen Winnie the Pooh and Tigger in a Lurgan graveyard?  Human size figures.  Scary!

I think most people will understand that Transit van shaped headstones etc are a problem but don't fully understand the bit about the flask of tea.

haveaharp

Quote from: Orior on December 02, 2013, 01:30:06 PM
As an amateur historian who has tramped through a graveyard or two I feel that this is a bit of a dilemma.

I understand how families like to mark their graves with fond memories, but some of it just looks plain silly and out of place. Worse, it detracts from the whole ambiance of the surroundings.

Best headstone ever, was for a solicitor called John Strange and I think it might be true. His headstone simply said "Here lies John, an honest solicitor".

People would read the headstone and say "An honest solicitor? That's strange!"

That guy was rumoured to have been buried with some expensive family heirlooms. Some of his relatives were caught at 2am trying to open the grave. Newspaper headline ran with the story "STRANGES IN THE NIGHT"

screenexile

I've been trying to find a video of it but I vaguely remember Paddy Doherty of Big Fat Gypsy fame going to the Graveyard for his sons anniversary and also a load of friends and family drinking and partying with beer/music and everything... clean mental!!

clarshack

Quote from: screenexile on December 02, 2013, 02:22:44 PM
I've been trying to find a video of it but I vaguely remember Paddy Doherty of Big Fat Gypsy fame going to the Graveyard for his sons anniversary and also a load of friends and family drinking and partying with beer/music and everything... clean mental!!

yeah i remember that too. definitely happened.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

The Worker

Is this in st colmans?

sans pessimism

Was at a burial at Shanganagh cemetery in south Dublin last week and spotted a headstone with a name and a simple message..Gone Fishin!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

The Gs Man

Quote from: The Worker on December 02, 2013, 05:53:58 PM

Is this in st colmans?

It is indeed. Down near where the newest graves are. Ye can't miss it!
Keep 'er lit

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 02, 2013, 12:58:28 PM

If you had your way as what? The Supreme Leader of graveyards?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.