Off the Ball v Second Captains - So Who Won?

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 26, 2013, 10:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

The JNLR report came out yesterday but nowhere can I find any information about how Off the Ball is doing since the Second Captains team left. It's driving me nuts.

I still listen to Off the Ball myself, but not as much as I used to. It's really not the same. The kindest thing you can say about Joe Molloy is that talking doesn't really suit him. Parkinson is the sort of a buck who'd be good fun on the session, up for anything, but as an analyst he's a joke. Soccer isn't my game but I don't know how they'll replace Ken Early.

As for the Second Captains podcast, I download it but I don't always listen. It's not the same. The balance is gone. It's like drinking Beamish - you know it's the same thing really, except it's not. It'll never be the same.

Thoughts?

Syferus

They let their egos get the better of them and they ended up marooned in a no-man's land.

Off the Ball may not be better than it was but it's Newstalk who look like the smarter cookies.

fearglasmor

Newstalk win hands down.
Show is not as polished as it was but Eoin McDevitt & Co overvalued their net worth.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 26, 2013, 10:09:14 PM
The JNLR report came out yesterday but nowhere can I find any information about how Off the Ball is doing since the Second Captains team left. It's driving me nuts.

I still listen to Off the Ball myself, but not as much as I used to. It's really not the same. The kindest thing you can say about Joe Molloy is that talking doesn't really suit him. Parkinson is the sort of a buck who'd be good fun on the session, up for anything, but as an analyst he's a joke. Soccer isn't my game but I don't know how they'll replace Ken Early.

As for the Second Captains podcast, I download it but I don't always listen. It's not the same. The balance is gone. It's like drinking Beamish - you know it's the same thing really, except it's not. It'll never be the same.

Thoughts?

Off The Ball listenership is down but only by about 2,000 so not massively.

Second Captains are going 4 times a week with the Irish Times from next week.

QuoteTHE TEAM BEHIND Second Captains  – formerly known as the OTB5 — will increase the number of podcasts from one to four per week, they have announced this afternoon.

Ken Early, Simon Hick, Mark Horgan, Eoin McDevitt, and Ciaran Murphy left Newstalk in March when they failed to agree on the direction of the show with station bosses.

A new weekly podcast was launched on The Irish Times in May. The Second Captains now say they will broadcast four programmes per week from next week – with two of the new slots planned as football specials and the other two acting as general sports shows.

While Irish Times sports editor Malachy Logan praised the success of the podcast to-date, Second Captains producer Mark Horgan added:

We've been blown away by the reaction to the show so far from our listeners at home and abroad and we can't wait to broadcast at least four times a week from now on.

"We're delighted to team up with the Irish Times and together we feel that this is just the start of where we can bring online radio in Ireland."

easytiger95

Much prefer Off the Ball now - the lads had begun to disappear up their own....well you know. They devoted a couple of shows to Richie Sadlier's dog, which was funny for about 5 secs - real lack of perspective both in their final shows and their behaviour in walking out. I do hope though the new RTE show goes well - on top form, they are still a real alternative to "Official Ireland" sports coverage. Maybe a bit of humility will suit them

the Deel Rover

New show on tonight 2nd captains live on Network 2 after the Irish match for any one interested .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Mayo4Sam

the lads, especially Early looked like rabbits in head lights at the start, very awkward, I'm sure they'll grow into it

I listen to both podcasts, i still think second captains is better, a lot smoother and better analysts and a more in depth level of knowledge.
I do like Wooly though
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Orchardman

I love listening to newstalk and off the ball, I think they have done a great job especially having to pick up the shit after 5 guys walking out. Parkinson I used to dislike but he has fitted in really well.

Mainly though im on as I watched that second captains the other night, only watched the first half so didn't see o 'gara, but I couldn't look at ken early any more, he was nearly making me uncomfortable looking at him. He must be the most gormless looking guy on tv. He was one of them people who although had very good points to make on the radio, had a real annoying deep slow voice that I hated. I couldn't believe it till I seen the tv show the other night cause I didn't have a clue what any off them looked like.

But yes, big change from radio to tv, i'm sure they'll grow in to it

trileacman

Quote from: Orchardman on September 12, 2013, 06:20:22 PM
I love listening to newstalk and off the ball, I think they have done a great job especially having to pick up the shit after 5 guys walking out. Parkinson I used to dislike but he has fitted in really well.

The new OTB team try to drag scandal out of nowhere. Stopped just short of declaring a general strike in response to McGeeny getting the shove.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 13, 2013, 09:53:04 AM

reminded me a bit of an irish version of baddeil & skinners old fantasy football show

Same, and I really liked that show, although you can't drag the ass out of it.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dinny Breen

So Colm Parkinson moves to Joe.ie following Dion Fanning. Does Joe.ie actually make money?

I liked Parkinson's style and he always gave a good insight and stayed away from "County Cliches" when talking about the championship. I thought in particular he worked well with James Horan, they had a good chemistry and Parkinson's relaxed style seem to get the best out Horan who gave really good insight.

On topic I think OTB is still producing some stand out radio and Joe Molly is an excellent host and the weekend shows are just good listening. SC while I like their TV show, their podcasts can be a bit hit and miss but good to have choice.

#newbridgeornowhere

gallsman

Can't understand the appeal of sites like Balls and Joe. Utter garbage.

ashman

AZOffaly