Natural Disasters

Started by 5 Sams, May 20, 2013, 09:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on May 24, 2013, 11:00:23 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on May 24, 2013, 10:49:20 PM
my mate was away for the weekend and got talking to some old weather predicting guru guy who's about 90. wait till you hear this- he reckons the winter we just had was nothing compared to the one thats coming. hes says it will be ten times worse with even lower temperatures, more eastern winds than ever, more snow than we've ever had!! apparently the 'signs' are very bad the worst hes ever saw. this mans supposed to be fairly reliable i'm getting shivers up my spine just thinking about it
Paul the Octopus.

"Away for the weekend"
"weather predicting guru"
"about 90"
"10 times worse"

Fcuk off.
Lawnseed do know Armagh4SamAgain?

lawnseed

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 24, 2013, 11:03:45 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 24, 2013, 11:00:23 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on May 24, 2013, 10:49:20 PM
my mate was away for the weekend and got talking to some old weather predicting guru guy who's about 90. wait till you hear this- he reckons the winter we just had was nothing compared to the one thats coming. hes says it will be ten times worse with even lower temperatures, more eastern winds than ever, more snow than we've ever had!! apparently the 'signs' are very bad the worst hes ever saw. this mans supposed to be fairly reliable i'm getting shivers up my spine just thinking about it
Paul the Octopus.

"Away for the weekend"
"weather predicting guru"
"about 90"
"10 times worse"

Fcuk off.
Lawnseed do know Armagh4SamAgain?
::)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

moysider

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 24, 2013, 04:28:21 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on May 23, 2013, 09:41:09 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on May 22, 2013, 08:12:41 AM
Quote from: Aerlik on May 22, 2013, 03:45:36 AM
Quote from: moysider on May 22, 2013, 12:51:02 AM
A lad at work ( appalled that farmers might get more aid) said it all. ' Dose this mean that next time we have a good summer, farmers will pay more tax?.

Same lad would have no problem with bank bailouts, nama etc. Farming just isn t cool enough. Never was. We had so much going for us besides.

Anyone who is not in any way connected with agriculture is often unwittingly oblivious to just how difficult farming is.  There is no weekly/fortnightly/monthly pay packet with overtime bonuses etc.  It is a struggle from day dot. It really pisses me off when I hear ones commenting on "farmers whinging".  Little do they know.  But then again milk comes from a cardboard box/plastic bottle.

So is this all farmers or just the smaller type farmers?
What are we to make of the farmers then who are buying new tractors, driving range rovers and generally living the good life?
Are these just grants or are they making money?

Also not that long ago I was reading that farming was just about the only industry that the banks were actually lending too for investment purposes, so to me there seems to be a paradox there. Dont get me wrong I know thats not the case for all farmers.

PS I dont think this thread is the correct place for this discussion but anyway
this thread started with the assertion that we here in ireland are very lucky we dont have natural disasters. whats happening in oklahoma was a disaster and whats still going on here is also a disaster. hailstones here today and the longest day is only around the corner also ferries cancelled due to high winds.
it has long been established on this board that problems in america are much more serious than problems anywhere else and that one american life is worth at least 30 to 40 lives anywhere else
Our climate is relatively benign so what you consider a disaster is not really comparable to disasters in much of the rest of the world. Nobody starving here.

Maybe not but livestock are. And the related human misery and in some cases suicides is becoming fairly serious. Not far away another farmer was found hanged 2 days ago. Tornados and starvation are not the only ways to demoralise and kill a man.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on May 24, 2013, 11:14:54 PM
Am I missing some complex satire?

"Away for the weekend"  = Can never be traced.
"Weather predicting guru" = He told my mate that.
"About 90" = He should know, he's seen loads of stuff.
"10 times worse" = an amazing calculation.
Any shivers up your spine?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: moysider on May 24, 2013, 11:24:55 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 24, 2013, 04:28:21 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on May 23, 2013, 09:41:09 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on May 22, 2013, 08:12:41 AM
Quote from: Aerlik on May 22, 2013, 03:45:36 AM
Quote from: moysider on May 22, 2013, 12:51:02 AM
A lad at work ( appalled that farmers might get more aid) said it all. ' Dose this mean that next time we have a good summer, farmers will pay more tax?.

Same lad would have no problem with bank bailouts, nama etc. Farming just isn t cool enough. Never was. We had so much going for us besides.

Anyone who is not in any way connected with agriculture is often unwittingly oblivious to just how difficult farming is.  There is no weekly/fortnightly/monthly pay packet with overtime bonuses etc.  It is a struggle from day dot. It really pisses me off when I hear ones commenting on "farmers whinging".  Little do they know.  But then again milk comes from a cardboard box/plastic bottle.

So is this all farmers or just the smaller type farmers?
What are we to make of the farmers then who are buying new tractors, driving range rovers and generally living the good life?
Are these just grants or are they making money?

Also not that long ago I was reading that farming was just about the only industry that the banks were actually lending too for investment purposes, so to me there seems to be a paradox there. Dont get me wrong I know thats not the case for all farmers.

PS I dont think this thread is the correct place for this discussion but anyway
this thread started with the assertion that we here in ireland are very lucky we dont have natural disasters. whats happening in oklahoma was a disaster and whats still going on here is also a disaster. hailstones here today and the longest day is only around the corner also ferries cancelled due to high winds.
it has long been established on this board that problems in america are much more serious than problems anywhere else and that one american life is worth at least 30 to 40 lives anywhere else
Our climate is relatively benign so what you consider a disaster is not really comparable to disasters in much of the rest of the world. Nobody starving here.

Maybe not but livestock are. And the related human misery and in some cases suicides is becoming fairly serious. Not far away another farmer was found hanged 2 days ago. Tornados and starvation are not the only ways to demoralise and kill a man.
Have seen this mentioned a few times on here. Are there any figures to suggest an increase or it is related to livestock starving? Businesses are going to the wall up and down the country so there more than farmers getting it tight.

lawnseed

what.. like i care what you think? the idea that anyone by looking at the 'signs' could tell what the weather will be like in 6 months time doesnt amuse you when experts with millions of pounds worth of equipment cant tell whats going to happen in 24hours.
the man says what he thinks you can chose to believe him and maybe buy more oil/fuel now when its cheaper or do what you like as i'm sure you will

lawnseed

Quote from: hardstation on May 24, 2013, 11:47:15 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on May 24, 2013, 11:37:26 PM

what.. like i care what you think? the idea that anyone by looking at the 'signs' could tell what the weather will be like in 6 months time doesnt amuse you when experts with millions of pounds worth of equipment cant tell whats going to happen in 24hours.
the man says what he thinks you can chose to believe him and maybe buy more oil/fuel now when its cheaper or do what you like as i'm sure you will
Ye see, "my mate" was in China the other week and got talking to a boy who was about 34. This boy is right and good with the weather predictions. Talking about the weather in Ireland this coming winter, he said "Ach she'll probably be the same as ye had last year".

Who knows?
i believe there are people in china, alot of people. doubt that you have any mates

lawnseed

Quote from: hardstation on May 24, 2013, 11:57:51 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on May 24, 2013, 11:55:40 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 24, 2013, 11:47:15 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on May 24, 2013, 11:37:26 PM

Ye see, "my mate" was in China the other week and got talking to a boy who was about 34. This boy is right and good with the weather predictions. Talking about the weather in Ireland this coming winter, he said "Ach she'll probably be the same as ye had last year".

Who knows?
i believe there are people in china, alot of people. doubt that you have any mates
I don't doubt that you have mates. I do doubt that any of them were let out for the day, nevermind the weekend.
i suppose you dont have a woman either

ONeill

He has. I've tackled her.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lawnseed

ONeill

Appreciate your legs. Might be the last.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.