Natural Disasters

Started by 5 Sams, May 20, 2013, 09:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on May 22, 2013, 06:35:30 AM
Quote from: Oraisteach on May 22, 2013, 01:20:19 AM
Iceman, interestingly enough, both of Oklahoma's senators, Coburn and Inhofe, voted against Hurricane Sandy aid. Hmm.....
Watching the news tonight the OK folks themselves said they would be waiting a long time on the government to do what was necessary.
They said the Baptist men are out in force already.
It was Baptists we had come to our aid too.
OK is right in the middle of the Bible Belt. They wil all come together to help their fellow Christians.

That's good to see, but it would serve these bible belt types much better if they softened their paranoid, anti-government fanaticism and instituted some building codes and mandated things like storm shelters, especially in schools.

The Iceman

Quote from: J70 on May 22, 2013, 02:41:09 PM
Iceman, interestingly enough, both of Oklahoma's senators, Coburn and Inhofe, voted against Hurricane Sandy aid. Hmm.....
Watching the news tonight the OK folks themselves said they would be waiting a long time on the government to do what was necessary.
OK is right in the middle of the Bible Belt. They wil all come together to help their fellow Christians.

That's good to see, but it would serve these bible belt types much better if they softened their paranoid, anti-government fanaticism and instituted some building codes and mandated things like storm shelters, especially in schools.
It would and I think unfortunately it took something like this to do that.
OK is also a very poor area. Its all working class and people on the poverty line. Very often we all choose the cheap option and think we'll get away with it. Luckily for most of us we don't pay for that with our lives or the lives of loved ones.
I know if i lived there I wouldn't be building a new house to better code, i'd be taking what I could and all the extended family and heading somewhere else....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: The Iceman on May 22, 2013, 04:22:21 PM

OK is also a very poor area. Its all working class and people on the poverty line. Very often we all choose the cheap option and think we'll get away with it. Luckily for most of us we don't pay for that with our lives or the lives of loved ones.
I know if i lived there I wouldn't be building a new house to better code, i'd be taking what I could and all the extended family and heading somewhere else....

Brilliant tv interview where some tv journalist douche says to a woman, you and your family are blessed, do you thank the lord, surely you thank the lord, do you? She just smirked and said, well actually I'm an atheist. Brilliant, bloody brilliant.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

moysider

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 22, 2013, 09:38:39 PM

Brilliant tv interview where some tv journalist douche says to a woman, you and your family are blessed, do you thank the lord, surely you thank the lord, do you? She just smirked and said, well actually I'm an atheist. Brilliant, bloody brilliant.

Wished I d seen that. Brilliant.

God bless that woman!

johnneycool

Quote from: moysider on May 22, 2013, 11:56:40 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 22, 2013, 09:38:39 PM

Wished I d seen that. Brilliant.

God bless that woman!

Did God not cause the tornado in the first place?

lawnseed

Quote from: NAG1 on May 22, 2013, 08:12:41 AM
Quote from: Aerlik on May 22, 2013, 03:45:36 AM
Quote from: moysider on May 22, 2013, 12:51:02 AM
A lad at work ( appalled that farmers might get more aid) said it all. ' Dose this mean that next time we have a good summer, farmers will pay more tax?.

Same lad would have no problem with bank bailouts, nama etc. Farming just isn t cool enough. Never was. We had so much going for us besides.

Anyone who is not in any way connected with agriculture is often unwittingly oblivious to just how difficult farming is.  There is no weekly/fortnightly/monthly pay packet with overtime bonuses etc.  It is a struggle from day dot. It really pisses me off when I hear ones commenting on "farmers whinging".  Little do they know.  But then again milk comes from a cardboard box/plastic bottle.

So is this all farmers or just the smaller type farmers?
What are we to make of the farmers then who are buying new tractors, driving range rovers and generally living the good life?
Are these just grants or are they making money?

Also not that long ago I was reading that farming was just about the only industry that the banks were actually lending too for investment purposes, so to me there seems to be a paradox there. Dont get me wrong I know thats not the case for all farmers.

PS I dont think this thread is the correct place for this discussion but anyway
this thread started with the assertion that we here in ireland are very lucky we dont have natural disasters. whats happening in oklahoma was a disaster and whats still going on here is also a disaster. hailstones here today and the longest day is only around the corner also ferries cancelled due to high winds.
it has long been established on this board that problems in america are much more serious than problems anywhere else and that one american life is worth at least 30 to 40 lives anywhere else
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

The Iceman

Lawnseed the weather is certainly shifting. I look at the weather back home most days and can't believe the amount of rain and the low temperatures.
Can't be good for farmers, business owners or folk in general.
I moved out to Seattle and the weather here now reminds me of the weather growing up in Ireland. Lots of sunshine, long days and plenty of time spent outside. We came here in February and there's only been maybe 7 days when the kids couldn't play outside. Thats what i remember growing up in Ireland. Those days are long gone now.

Not sue what the answer is. You used to forego the bad winter because you knew a good spring and summer were ahead but that's not the case anymore- you'd be lucky to get a few weeks of a summer now?

Plenty of jobs out here!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lawnseed on May 23, 2013, 09:41:09 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on May 22, 2013, 08:12:41 AM
Quote from: Aerlik on May 22, 2013, 03:45:36 AM
Quote from: moysider on May 22, 2013, 12:51:02 AM
A lad at work ( appalled that farmers might get more aid) said it all. ' Dose this mean that next time we have a good summer, farmers will pay more tax?.

Same lad would have no problem with bank bailouts, nama etc. Farming just isn t cool enough. Never was. We had so much going for us besides.

Anyone who is not in any way connected with agriculture is often unwittingly oblivious to just how difficult farming is.  There is no weekly/fortnightly/monthly pay packet with overtime bonuses etc.  It is a struggle from day dot. It really pisses me off when I hear ones commenting on "farmers whinging".  Little do they know.  But then again milk comes from a cardboard box/plastic bottle.

So is this all farmers or just the smaller type farmers?
What are we to make of the farmers then who are buying new tractors, driving range rovers and generally living the good life?
Are these just grants or are they making money?

Also not that long ago I was reading that farming was just about the only industry that the banks were actually lending too for investment purposes, so to me there seems to be a paradox there. Dont get me wrong I know thats not the case for all farmers.

PS I dont think this thread is the correct place for this discussion but anyway
this thread started with the assertion that we here in ireland are very lucky we dont have natural disasters. whats happening in oklahoma was a disaster and whats still going on here is also a disaster. hailstones here today and the longest day is only around the corner also ferries cancelled due to high winds.
it has long been established on this board that problems in america are much more serious than problems anywhere else and that one american life is worth at least 30 to 40 lives anywhere else
Our climate is relatively benign so what you consider a disaster is not really comparable to disasters in much of the rest of the world. Nobody starving here.

armaghniac

QuoteI look at the weather back home most days and can't believe the amount of rain and the low temperatures.

All the same, the weather this year in May in Dublin is similar to last year.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Iceman

Quote from: armaghniac on May 24, 2013, 05:10:46 PM
QuoteI look at the weather back home most days and can't believe the amount of rain and the low temperatures.

All the same, the weather this year in May in Dublin is similar to last year.
I'm comparing it to 20-30 years ago

From the Bunker

Weather is gone arse here in Ireland. Constant rain and lower temperatures. Birds, Animals and foliage under constant strain. Farmers will have to re-assess their production levels. The hardest part is living in low sunshine area! You're enthusiasm for the day ahead has to be affected. Even newly born children are now given vitamin D. I cut more turf, because i have a fire on all year, not just from September to May.

seafoid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTxg-15TfHg

"We don't have those kinds of clouds now. You might see them in the desert"

Market blinds us to dangers of climate change
Foremost reason: civilization built on fossil fuels

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/world/market-blinds-us-to-dangers-of-climate-change-1.1393405
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

lawnseed

my mate was away for the weekend and got talking to some old weather predicting guru guy who's about 90. wait till you hear this- he reckons the winter we just had was nothing compared to the one thats coming. hes says it will be ten times worse with even lower temperatures, more eastern winds than ever, more snow than we've ever had!! apparently the 'signs' are very bad the worst hes ever saw. this mans supposed to be fairly reliable i'm getting shivers up my spine just thinking about it
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lawnseed on May 24, 2013, 10:49:20 PM
my mate was away for the weekend and got talking to some old weather predicting guru guy who's about 90. wait till you hear this- he reckons the winter we just had was nothing compared to the one thats coming. hes says it will be ten times worse with even lower temperatures, more eastern winds than ever, more snow than we've ever had!! apparently the 'signs' are very bad the worst hes ever saw. this mans supposed to be fairly reliable i'm getting shivers up my spine just thinking about it
With boys like this about there is little point having The Met Office waste millions on supercomputers.