British and Irish Lions Tour 2013

Started by CorkMan, April 28, 2013, 07:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Premier Emperor on April 29, 2013, 10:39:04 AM
The British (and token Paddies) Loins Tour.
What is the big deal with this?
Some of the teams that make up the British Loins can beat the Aussies on their own. It seems like this amalgamation makes them weaker.

You know the shite ye have on the signs into your county? That sort of thing. Tradition.
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

The British and Irish Lions was a big deal back when the game was amateur. 40 lads from the 4 Countries heading away for 6 weeks to play Rugby against the top sides was a big deal back then.

With the professional era it doesn't seem as significant and looks to be more of a sponsorship junket. For those involved though they still see it as a relatively big deal and it does attract interest from supporters and the players seem to take it as a great honour to be chosen to go on the tour so I don't really see why people get all bent out of shape about it.

I'm looking forward to this tour and I think they have a real chance of beating an Aussie team in transition but you never know with these things.

Hardy

But even if they do, so what? Who can get excited about an amalgam team beating a single nation? It'd be like Meath vs. Limerick-Clare-Tipperary-Waterford. I might be interested in watching how Meath would play, if I came across it channel-hopping. But who'd bother shouting for LCTW?

trileacman

Quote from: Hardy on April 29, 2013, 12:03:20 PM
But even if they do, so what? Who can get excited about an amalgam team beating a single nation? It's be like Meath vs. Limerick-Clare-Tipperary-Waterford. I might be interested in watching how Meath would play, if I came across it channel-hopping. But who'd bother shouting for LCTW?

If you don't like it why bother posting?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

thewobbler

Quote from: screenexile on April 29, 2013, 11:52:15 AM
The British and Irish Lions was a big deal back when the game was amateur. 40 lads from the 4 Countries heading away for 6 weeks to play Rugby against the top sides was a big deal back then.

With the professional era it doesn't seem as significant and looks to be more of a sponsorship junket. For those involved though they still see it as a relatively big deal and it does attract interest from supporters and the players seem to take it as a great honour to be chosen to go on the tour so I don't really see why people get all bent out of shape about it.

I'm looking forward to this tour and I think they have a real chance of beating an Aussie team in transition but you never know with these things.

It's partly professionalism that has taken the sheen off it, but more to do with professional prizes. Winning a WC or a Heineken Cup is within the grasp of anyone going on a Lions Tour. Winning both is a possibility for some. So while it's still a great honour to be selected, there's bigger draws around, for players and their followers.

Hardy

Quote from: trileacman on April 29, 2013, 12:26:32 PM
But even if they do, so what? Who can get excited about an amalgam team beating a single nation? It's be like Meath vs. Limerick-Clare-Tipperary-Waterford. I might be interested in watching how Meath would play, if I came across it channel-hopping. But who'd bother shouting for LCTW?

Gosh, I don't know. Maybe to say I don't like it? If that was what I wanted to say (which it wasn't). If that's OK with you.

trileacman

Quote from: Hardy on April 29, 2013, 12:36:45 PM

Gosh, I don't know. Maybe to say I don't like it? If that was what I wanted to say (which it wasn't). If that's OK with you.

You came in to have a good whine. Why bother?

Bingo

Re the Lions, its the infrequency that keeps it going. Most players will rarely play against the same test side for the Lions more than once with a few exceptions like BOD. For the test teams - NZ, SA and the Aussies - those players will have the factor that they don't want to be done over by the touring side in the one test series they play against them. Its a huge challenge for them to be able to beat the 4 nations combined. When the individual nations tour down under, its not often they are competitive over the test series, the Lions will generally always be that.

I still think the players see it as a huge honour and massive recognition of their career.

NAG1

Quote from: Bingo on April 29, 2013, 12:54:46 PM
Re the Lions, its the infrequency that keeps it going. Most players will rarely play against the same test side for the Lions more than once with a few exceptions like BOD. For the test teams - NZ, SA and the Aussies - those players will have the factor that they don't want to be done over by the touring side in the one test series they play against them. Its a huge challenge for them to be able to beat the 4 nations combined. When the individual nations tour down under, its not often they are competitive over the test series, the Lions will generally always be that.

I still think the players see it as a huge honour and massive recognition of their career.

What sort of money would the players be on for this tour, since we are in the professional era. Id say a few of them are also thinking exposure and bank balances.

trileacman

Quote from: NAG1 on April 29, 2013, 01:00:31 PM

What sort of money would the players be on for this tour, since we are in the professional era. Id say a few of them are also thinking exposure and bank balances.

Don't know but could you name any Irish players who will be travelling because of the "exposure and bank balances."?

NAG1

Quote from: trileacman on April 29, 2013, 02:43:36 PM

Don't know but could you name any Irish players who will be travelling because of the "exposure and bank balances."?

I wasn't referring to any of the Irish players specifically but I am pretty sure that Johnny Sexton will know the value of the tour to himself. Also I didnt say it was a bad thing, the players should be making money off this is big business and loads of other people will be making big bucks off the back of it.

Bingo

I'd imagine been a Lion and touring was a bigger deal financially in the ameteur days as it really raised the profile and give players a real media presence plus from a business point of view it probably helped their actual careers.

I don't think the french clubs where the money seems to be will give a dam if they are lions or not, Sexton was signed on a big deal before the Lions came into the equation. In fact, they probably resent the Lions tour to a certain extent as it seems that it goes against some players in terms of their availability.

deiseach

But even if they do, so what? Who can get excited about an amalgam team beating a single nation? It'd be like Meath vs. Limerick-Clare-Tipperary-Waterford. I might be interested in watching how Meath would play, if I came across it channel-hopping. But who'd bother shouting for LCTW?

Rugger bugger's get excited. It's not that mysterious, is it?

Hardy

Quote from: trileacman on April 29, 2013, 12:45:11 PM
Quote from: Hardy on April 29, 2013, 12:36:45 PM

You came in to have a good whine. Why bother?

Ah I think it's clear enough who's doing the whining here.

Bord na Mona man

It's reckoned to be worth 50k a man.
So that's what it cost Alan Quinlan when he went rooting for Leo Cullen's eye before the last tour.