AFL Season 2013

Started by Aerlik, March 22, 2013, 09:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmen Stateside

Good for Carlton to get their first win. Murphy Garlett and MOTM Yarren stood out. 

Aerlik

Quote from: ballinaman on April 20, 2013, 11:54:45 AM
Here's a question for Aerlilk.
What's the story with the dressing rooms, surely they can give them seats, why do they have to sit on the ground?

I have absolutely no idea, in fact I have never even thought of that. 

ROUND FOUR

Sydney 103 - 124 Geelong
"Perish the fool" who suggests that Geelong will not be in the action in September.  They will.  A great win against a fast Sydney on the SCG pitch.  Four good wins against good opposition.

Hawthorn 118 - 76 Fremantle
Yes, well....not impressed.  Didn't see the game as I was working but listening on the wireless, I heard nothing to inspire me.  Excuses such as having three of the top players out through injury won't carry as Freo has to depend on others due to the impending retirements in the next two or three years.  Not happy.

Richmond 79 - 113 Collingwood
Marty Clarke got on the scoresheet again as the Pies were just too good in the second half.  I missed this game due to work but read that the Pies were on fire.

St. Kilda 91- 128 Essendon
Essendon continues its great start to the season with a fourth straight win and sit on top of the table.  The game was marked by Brendan Goddard's first game against his old team St. Kilda.  Got a bit emotional at the end.  Fair enough.  Notably, he stayed out of the "handbags" during the game.

West Coast 65 - Carlton 89
Well if Freo aren't going to win, I'm never be too disappointed if our neighbours don't.  First win for Carlton this season and Zac was quite impressive.  The infidels kicked 7-23.  Even Kilkenny hurlers would be impressed with that. :P

Gold Coast 66 - 104 Port Adelaide.
OK, so they haven't exactly been playing the top teams week in week out but Port is the third team to have won all their games this season so far (and I hope they win next week, too  ;)).  I only saw the brief highlights but if you can, take a look at the mark by the Port Adelaide Full Forward.  Very impressive.

Melbourne 144 - 103 Greater Western Sydney
Trust poor Setanta to make his comeback after a year on the sidelines with injury, kick five goals and then watch Melbourne kick twelve in the last quarter to break their club record and, more importantly, win.  This was one game GWS thought they could win.  It's a long way to the top in this game.

Adelaide 80 - 28 Western Bulldogs
Dear god, why is this shite shown on TV?  Putrid.  Switched off after the first quarter.  'Nuff said.

North Melbourne 125 - 62 Brisbane Lions
The game marked the much-anticipated debut of Majak Daw, the Sudanese-born tank of a man.  And what a debut.  North's first attack after only a few seconds into the game sees a long ball belted into the full forward line.  And Majak out jumps the pack to take quite a spekkie.  Then he kicks the first goal.  The kind of stuff Roy of the Rovers would be proud of.  19 minutes later he gets knocked out and is subbed out.  You couldn't script it.  Michael Voss, the Brisbane coach, is not a happy chappy tonight, and Pearce got injured.  Hmmmm.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Karl Kennedy

Anywhere online where you can watch weekly AFL highlights?

Aerlik

http://www.afl.com.au/

Try this link, Karl.  It has highlight/significant moments from all the games.

Aerlik

ROUND FIVE

Well, what a round of footy.  Big wins, significant wins, nailbiting wins  ;D, massive come from behind wins, and season-ending knee injuries.

Essendon 121-75 Collingwood
Its fifth win on the trot for the Bombers and what a stage to do it on.  Over 90,000 at the MCG for the ANZAC clash and a game of some great skills.  This is becoming an institution in the AFL calendar.  Clarke, however, was pretty average. 

Sydney 79-63 St. Kilda
The agony continues for the Saints.  This was the first ever AFL game in NZ and it was pretty well received by the large Kiwi crowd.  I listened to it on the wireless and Sydney seemed to have it handy enough, always putting on the squeeze when St.Kilda threatened to get close.

Fremantle 81-80 Richmond
Dear Sweet Jesus, if I nearly cried two weeks ago at the loss to Essendon, I nearly died of heart failure at this game.  Suffice to say the game had everything; skills, great scores, major controversy, a season-ending ACL tear for Keplar Bradley (a bit of a folk hero among us faithful) and a two teams who played one of the most exciting games in years.  Oh, and Freo won, so I'm just a bit pleased about that.  Here are the last two minutes... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBZdR7K1uGM .   The noise was unbelievable.

Gold Coast 148-104 Greater Western Sydney
Gotta feel for Setanta; another solid show with three goals and a kiss for his colleague and still the Giants are winless.  Didn't see the game but read that it wasn't too bad a game.

Carlton 115-83 Adelaide
Unfortunately I didn't see this game but I read it was some value.  Check out the marks taken.  Sadly another season-ending ACL injury, this time to Taylor "Tex" Walker of Adelaide.  A big, strong power forward.  He'll be missed up front by the Crows.  Zac was the only Irish winning player this week.

Geelong 107-86 Western Bulldogs
As predicted, Geelong won this game handily enough.  But a much better showing from the Bulldogs (at least that bit that I saw).  Geelong are now also 5 from 5.

Port Adelaide 84 - 79 West Coast
Well, at the 19th. minute mark of the third quarter WC was 41 points up, so I switched off as I didn't want to hear the puke that would be spewed by the commentators on another win.  Fast forward an hour and I walk in to the bar and my mate comes up with a big grin, shakes my hand and tells me that Port won by 5.  Holy jaysus, a good weekend just got better  :D.  And to make it even more amusing, the WC coach reckons the Eagles can still win the Premiership this year.  One win in five?  Yep, and they have still the big boys to play against.

Brisbane 122-94 Melbourne
An average game and I still don't know what the hell the TV companies were doing showing this instead of the quality game on slightly later.  Average to middling at best.

Hawthorn 99-96 North Melbourne
Now THIS game should have been on TV.  I listened to it on the wireless and it was very nip and tuck for the whole game.  I only saw a few highlights but a great effort by NM.

Significant injuries are starting to occur at this stage of the season with several ACL injuries being suffered.  You never want to see any player hurt, especially the big names who make the games more interesting.

muppet

" Zac was the only Irish winning player this week."

Brisbane won so I am presuming Hanley was injured?
MWWSI 2017

Aerlik

Quote from: muppet on April 29, 2013, 12:26:17 PM

Yep, that's right, chap.

All of a Sludden

I watched the Bombers v Pies game at the weekend, i think Aerlik is being very kind to Clarke, he looked lost. The Aussies don't seem to rate him at all.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

JimStynes

Quote from: All of a Sludden on April 29, 2013, 08:33:06 PM
I watched the Bombers v Pies game at the weekend, i think Aerlik is being very kind to Clarke, he looked lost. The Aussies don't seem to rate him at all.

he's been playing rightly this season. always starts well but cant seem to keep it going all season. Pearce Hanley is a star at the Lions. Great player.

Aerlik

I can't seem to figure out what exactly Clarke's role is at Collingwood.  Is he a defensive midfielder, a tagger (man-marker) or a half-back? 

Pity that Hanley is injured as I would like to see more of him.  True, Jim Stynes, he is a star.

Bloody furious tonight with the decisions of the AFL tribunal; Fyfe out for two weeks and Glass gets off punishment.  Nuff said.

HeaveHo

Quote from: muppet on April 29, 2013, 12:26:17 PM

Hanley was suspended. Whacked someone the week before. Should be back this week.

HeaveHo

Seems to have gone backwards since he came back - seems to have lost some zip. Would be surprised if he gets a game when they have a full list to choose from.

HeaveHo

Quote from: JimStynes on April 29, 2013, 10:14:29 PM

he's been playing rightly this season. always starts well but cant seem to keep it going all season. Pearce Hanley is a star at the Lions. Great player.

Probably leading their F & B right now. Close to an elite player. Tuohey is better kick but doesn't have the same ability to read the play. 

snoopdog

Quote from: Aerlik on April 30, 2013, 02:46:22 PM
I can't seem to figure out what exactly Clarke's role is at Collingwood.  Is he a defensive midfielder, a tagger (man-marker) or a half-back? 

Pity that Hanley is injured as I would like to see more of him.  True, Jim Stynes, he is a star.

Bloody furious tonight with the decisions of the AFL tribunal; Fyfe out for two weeks and Glass gets off punishment.  Nuff said.

Has Clarke long left on his contract. Would you see him coming back to Gaelic football if he fails at Collingwood? or would he still have enough class in AFL  to play for a smaller club. not writing him off, but would love to see him back in a Down jersey

Aerlik

Quote from: snoopdog on May 01, 2013, 03:02:44 PM
Has Clarke long left on his contract. Would you see him coming back to Gaelic football if he fails at Collingwood? or would he still have enough class in AFL  to play for a smaller club. not writing him off, but would love to see him back in a Down jersey

If he were to be let go at the end of this season, there would only be two or three clubs that I'd imagine would be interested: Greater Western Sydney, Western Bulldogs and possibly Brisbane.  St. Kilda might be interested. 

Thanks, Heave Ho, for pointing out Hanley was suspended.  I thought he got a knock.  I'm still fekkin furious about the Nathan Fyfe decision.