Disabled children should be 'put down'.

Started by ziggysego, February 27, 2013, 05:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

I was reading about an independent counsellor from Cornwall Council, who said disabled children should be put down, as they cost too much.

I wrote a blog here: mywayaccess.com
Testing Accessibility

Shamrock Shore

His immediate resignation is the least he should do.

After that he should be boycotted by all local suppliers and shops/pubs etc.

An odious human being.

heganboy

Ziggy,
what's he doing carrying them in the first place?

Was additional insult to injury that he had to be told to give a written apology 18 months after the fact.

addition:
Ziggy in response to
QuoteThis begs the questions are disabled people in the UK and Ireland fair game, when it comes to using them as cannon fodder for political ends and making points?
this is one area where there is no discrimination, all people in the UK and Ireland are to be viewed as fair game for political purposes
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

seafoid

I was playing pitch and putt in Enniscrone last year with the kids and ahead of us was a family with a son who was Downs or whatever and it was wonderful to watch them playing together even if it took him 15 shots to get the ball in the hole. Great people.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

stew

Quote from: seafoid on February 27, 2013, 05:34:06 PM
I was playing pitch and putt in Enniscrone last year with the kids and ahead of us was a family with a son who was Downs or whatever and it was wonderful to watch them playing together even if it took him 15 shots to get the ball in the hole. Great people.

One of the lads that play for me in the summer has a kid sisters with Downs syndrome, she loves to mess with me and we play tag from dawn to dusk when we are away at tournaments, she is disruptive at times but we all love her and she comes first every time, she is a pleasure to be around and that man's comments made me sick to my core, it's hard to believe there are scum like him out there. Ziggy, I commented on that blog thingy.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Denn Forever

The Irish government has set liveline buzzing.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0227/369771-mobility/

Enda Kenny pledges new scheme to take place of mobility allowance and motorised transport grant.

As someone said on Liveline, TD pensions could be 3000euro/month.  They can't get rid of these pensions as TDs have "an expectation" of getting their pension.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

I'm sure some have seen these before.

Not everyone thinks like that idiot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKbsSj_TB_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1bIzYMXRfY
MWWSI 2017

omagh_gael

Asshole tried to blame it on being stressed following a council meeting. What a dick.

Pangurban

Surely it should be possible to formulate a legal charge against this odious man, under incitement to hatred legislation or the equality agenda.

Tony Baloney

It was just a dopey comment from a local councillor not a Hitler figure in a position to actually influence it becoming a reality.

Rudi

Shocking stuff, he should resign. Phil Coulter wrote a great song called "scorn not his simplicity" inspirational stuff. Think it was about his son who had DS, not sure.

cadence

a dopey comment, but an extreme comment informed by a medicalisation of disability. the social model of disability would argue that this medicalisation of disability judges disabled people as having deficits, rather than disabled people being affected by societal barriers that need to be removed.

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies/archiveuk/Oliver/in%20soc%20dis.pdf

the social model of disability has been challenged somewhat by "heirarchies of impairment", by mark deal. essentially, what he says is that within groups of disabled people, there are heirarchies. one example he gives is "supercrips", short for super cripples... a disabled person like oscar pestorius, who can run really fast, or someone who can do a marathon in a wheelchair for example. these types of disabled people can be ridiculed by people with a disability like cerebral palsy as being supercrips. the heirarchy can work the other way too though a blind children can be ridiculed and made fun of by children with physical disabilities and when the blind child's parents complain, they are seen as difficult because staff at the generic disabilities centre just couldn't comprehend that disabled children could be oppressive towards another disabled child. heirarchy of impairment is as much about disabled people taking on the value base of the medical model of disability though. so it's another helpful way of understanding the challenges that confront disabled people.

the counsellor is of course an oppressive so and so and cannot be trusted to have influence over how money is spent on services for the local community. in a way, it's a good thing he's been so blatant. worse still would be if he didn't say what he thought and was oppressive in a less explicit way and just held onto the purse strings or funded services that were oppressive.

laoislad

Quote from: Rudi on February 27, 2013, 09:36:18 PM
Shocking stuff, he should resign. Phil Coulter wrote a great song called "scorn not his simplicity" inspirational stuff. Think it was about his son who had DS, not sure.

Yes he did write it about his son. Personally I don't like the song.
I understand he wrote it about his personal experience with his son but I wouldn't like it taken as fact that all kids with DS are as Coulter described in this song.
Some of the lyrics paint a pretty grim picture of what the child himself was like. This is not true in all or even the majority of kids with DS,especially nowadays.
In saying that he does a good job describing the guilt, fears, and helplessness the parent might feel at the start.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: cadence on February 27, 2013, 09:45:55 PM
a dopey comment, but an extreme comment informed by a medicalisation of disability. the social model of disability would argue that this medicalisation of disability judges disabled people as having deficits, rather than disabled people being affected by societal barriers that need to be removed.

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies/archiveuk/Oliver/in%20soc%20dis.pdf

the social model of disability has been challenged somewhat by "heirarchies of impairment", by mark deal. essentially, what he says is that within groups of disabled people, there are heirarchies. one example he gives is "supercrips", short for super cripples... a disabled person like oscar pestorius, who can run really fast, or someone who can do a marathon in a wheelchair for example. these types of disabled people can be ridiculed by people with a disability like cerebral palsy as being supercrips. the heirarchy can work the other way too though a blind children can be ridiculed and made fun of by children with physical disabilities and when the blind child's parents complain, they are seen as difficult because staff at the generic disabilities centre just couldn't comprehend that disabled children could be oppressive towards another disabled child. heirarchy of impairment is as much about disabled people taking on the value base of the medical model of disability though. so it's another helpful way of understanding the challenges that confront disabled people.

the counsellor is of course an oppressive so and so and cannot be trusted to have influence over how money is spent on services for the local community. in a way, it's a good thing he's been so blatant. worse still would be if he didn't say what he thought and was oppressive in a less explicit way and just held onto the purse strings or funded services that were oppressive.

Very informative post.
MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

Only getting back to this now. A crazy 24 hours here.

I wasn't looking for a special case made for disabled people and nor would I want it. It was more to highlight the cuts are affecting the vulnerable members of society, where as the city bankers and fat cats are getting huge bonuses for doing very little.

Anyhoo, Collin Brewer has announced this morning that he is retiring from his seat in the council, after public pressure.

Stew, thanks for commenting on my blog. I appreciate it mate.
Testing Accessibility