Should gays be allowed to legally marry?

Started by Saffrongael, February 05, 2013, 07:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should gays be allowed to legally marry?

Yes
No
Don't care

thewobbler

I've no issues with two fellas legally declaring a bind.

I'd have a fairly large concern though over gay couples adopting children. It could be considered narrowminded, but it does push rather sternly against everything in nature for two men to have a child. Which isn't right.

ziggysego

Quote from: armaghniac on February 05, 2013, 09:39:19 PM
QuoteIn 100 years time, people will look back and wonder why so many people were against it and why it was even illegal in the first place.

That's the whole point. In 100 years when you can get "married" to any random collection of people for a weekend, any value in marriage as the building block of society will have been lost.

A lot of the politicians against this in England, crying out about marriage, have been caught up in numerous affairs themselves. Is this gay people's fault?
Testing Accessibility

EC Unique

I would value marriage highly. That is as long as it is a proper marriage carried out in a chapel or church and not one of these town hall jobs.
I hope there does not come a day when gay marriages are common place at the alter.

Orior

I'm all for shagging sheep. Yeos are okay but I draw the line with rams.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

An Gaeilgoir

QuoteIn 100 years time, people will look back and wonder why so many people were against it and why it was even illegal in the first place.

That's the whole point. In 100 years when you can get "married" to any random collection of people for a weekend, any value in marriage as the building block of society will have been lost.

What about all the couples who don't stay married for life and get divorced............Marriage was around before the church, if two people of the same sex love each other and want to make a commitment in front of God, where is the problem, i think Jesus mentioned something about where love lives, you will find me.......(could be wrong).....

michaelg

Quote from: thewobbler on February 05, 2013, 09:41:00 PM

I'd have a fairly large concern though over gay couples adopting children. It could be considered narrowminded, but it does push rather sternly against everything in nature for two men to have a child. Which isn't right.
If two men or two women can provide a stable, loving environment for a child, surely this can not be a bad thing?  Can understand some people's reticence regarding this, but when you hear about the shocking abuse and neglect inflicted on children by some male-female couples, surely gay couples should be free to raise a child if they want / can provide a good home.
As for the argument that gay couples would lead to children becoming gay, most gay people come from heterosexual couples.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Could that point not be straying towards the gender inequality between men and woman in regards the raising of children.

The other side of that is a lesbian mother can raise a child with another lesbian without any legal block on her.

A woman (regardless of sexuality) can have a child and remain single, while it is far more difficult for a single man (regardless of sexuality) keeping his own child, let alone a straight/gay man adopting one, while a woman can just go down the sperm bank.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

cadence

we live differently now. the structure of families has had to change as the structure of society has changed.

http://www.gulbenkian.org.uk/pdffiles/Rethinking-families.pdf

EC Unique

This is about gay marriage not gay parenting. Different debate altogether.

T Fearon

Is there any church of any denomination willing to marry gays?

stew

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on February 05, 2013, 09:45:56 PM

What about all the couples who don't stay married for life and get divorced............Marriage was around before the church, if two people of the same sex love each other and want to make a commitment in front of God, where is the problem, i think Jesus mentioned something about where love lives, you will find me.......(could be wrong).....

Homosexuality was said to "be an abomination in the sight of God" in the Bible, hardly a ringing endorsement for two boys or girls to be getting married in a Church service.

If they want to get married what is wrong with doing it in front of a judge?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

T Fearon

Can't see any church marrying gays,except mavericks like Pat Buckley

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: EC Unique on February 05, 2013, 09:42:58 PM
I would value marriage highly. That is as long as it is a proper marriage carried out in a chapel or church and not one of these town hall jobs.
I hope there does not come a day when gay marriages are common place at the alter.

I'm not getting married in a chapel or church - is mine a "proper marriage"?

stew

Quote from: T Fearon on February 05, 2013, 09:59:28 PM
Is there any church of any denomination willing to marry gays?

Yip, that shower of athiest twats who set up shop in the former Church in, I think, London.  :P
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

cadence

incorrect. what's important is that a child feels cared for enough to feel securely attached. secure attachment gives a child the confidence to detach and explore and to gradually become more independent and confident and to develop well cognitively. it is not against men's nature to be able to care for a child enough for that child to securely attach. it also isn't an issue of gender, or sexuality. read bowlby's attachment theory...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_theory