Should gays be allowed to legally marry?

Started by Saffrongael, February 05, 2013, 07:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should gays be allowed to legally marry?

Yes
No
Don't care

seafoid

Quote from: EC Unique on February 05, 2013, 08:37:01 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 05, 2013, 08:26:09 PM
Gay couples should have the same legal rights as straight couples IMO. So if one of them dies the surviving partner should be entitled to inherit etc.

Is this not what civil partnership is for?

IMO marriage is between a man and a woman, anything else is a contradiction of the word marriage.
I thought civil partnership was a compromise.

If marriage is so sacred why do so many straight couples divorce?

I thought the origin of marriage was to force men to contribute to the upbringing of their spawn.
And then it turned into a public profession of whatever and got legalised and the priests got involved for the cashflow aspect . And later there was the wedding business and dresses and flowers and hotels etc.

Orior

Quote from: ziggysego on February 05, 2013, 08:50:04 PM
How could this ever have been seen as a crime?

Ask your parents, aunts or uncles.

Advances in the human brain in the early 1970s allowed us to work out that gay sex was actually a good thing. For some people of course!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Main Street

Quote from: EC Unique on February 05, 2013, 08:37:01 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 05, 2013, 08:26:09 PM
Gay couples should have the same legal rights as straight couples IMO. So if one of them dies the surviving partner should be entitled to inherit etc.

Is this not what civil partnership is for?

IMO marriage is between a man and a woman, anything else is a contradiction of the word marriage.
Civil partnership is the same as civil marriage.
Pretty much every country that has a same sex civil partnership in its law, has moved or just about to move to confer marriage status. it removes a legal distinction which is regarded as a social stigma
Some people don't recognise this as being a marriage, but that pales into the shadows of the vast majority of people who think otherwise.

Puckoon

Orior, at one stage perhaps even in your early years, nurses were forbidden to marry.

Maguire01

I have no problem with gay marriage, and i'm in full support of equality, but I'm struggling to understand the push for it now that there are civil partnerships. Can anyone enlighten me?

Pangurban

We now live in an anything goes society Orior, in which any morality standing in the way of profit or the secular liberal philosophy will be brushed aside. Sodom and Gomorrah were in the half-penny place compared to us

Maguire01

Quote from: Pangurban on February 05, 2013, 09:28:21 PM
We now live in an anything goes society Orior, in which any morality standing in the way of profit or the secular liberal philosophy will be brushed aside. Sodom and Gomorrah were in the half-penny place compared to us
Where's the loss of morality here? And whose definition of morality are we using?

An Gaeilgoir

My brother had a civil partnership last year, over 150 at it and a great session, he is happy enough with that, he is quite religious and would consider himself a practicing catholic, but wouldn't ever consider getting married in a church. Each to their own i suppose. I find it funny, how people get so worked up about this and most of them don't darken a church door from one end of the year to the next. A gay man marries a woman........ come on in, a gay man marries a man, get out!!

An Gaeilgoir

Sodom and Gomorrah were inside the door of the church for long enough...............
So what happens if your son/daughter/ grandchild turns out to be gay......... banished from your life? Just Curious?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Hyperbole alert.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Main Street

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 05, 2013, 09:26:04 PM
I have no problem with gay marriage, and i'm in full support of equality, but I'm struggling to understand the push for it now that there are civil partnerships. Can anyone enlighten me?
That's a hard question, a difficult task.
But I have already answered it, the question is, are you enlightened enough to understand it?  ;D

armaghniac

QuoteIn 100 years time, people will look back and wonder why so many people were against it and why it was even illegal in the first place.

That's the whole point. In 100 years when you can get "married" to any random collection of people for a weekend, any value in marriage as the building block of society will have been lost.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ziggysego

For the love of God Pangurban. What is immoral about this?

Testing Accessibility

Orior

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on February 05, 2013, 09:35:06 PM

So what happens if your son/daughter/ grandchild turns out to be gay......... banished from your life?

I also work with a man who only realised he was gay after he became a grandad.

Each to their own.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians