Scripture, why are some people so selective about it?

Started by Eamonnca1, February 02, 2013, 12:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

I would say Catholicism's biggest problem apart from the sex abuse scandals is that the masses are way too boring. On my travels, I attended a couple of masses of another religion (they were bible fanatics, and very nice people from Southern USA, though I'm not sure what they called themselves exactly) and found them much livelier, friendlier and more interactive affairs than those lectures I was dragged along to once a week as a child.

You got to sing and talk about how your week had been and if you were having a hard time someone else in the congregation would say an individual prayer for you. I found it all really enjoyable even though I'm an agnostic. They really loved this God fellow and they were happy to sing and shut about it.

Last time I went to a Catholic mass, it hadn't changed much. A 45 minute talk from the priest while you take turns standing, kneeling, sitting, standing, kneeling and sitting again. The only change I noticed after going for the first time in a good few years was that they had a cushion for your knees, so you were no longer kneeling on hard wood. A welcome change but they need to liven things up. I remember the priest used to talk about "celebrating mass". Celebrating was never more misused.

cadence

a fairly big problem for religion you'd have to say is people just not believing in it and rejected it in favour of understanding things through scientific knowledge.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: cadence on February 03, 2013, 11:54:13 AM
a fairly big problem for religion you'd have to say is people just not believing in it and rejected it in favour of understanding things through scientific knowledge.
[/quote

People can't be arsed with it if truth be told, falling numbers at all Christan churches would tell you that, not sure what the Muslim faith have in terms of how many they have or if numbers have fallen recently.

As has been said before live life without harming others be true to yourself and family and be as charitable as you can. You really don't need a priest, minister, or any other bloke to tell you how to live your life.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 03, 2013, 12:55:55 PM

People can't be arsed with it if truth be told, falling numbers at all Christan churches would tell you that, not sure what the Muslim faith have in terms of how many they have or if numbers have fallen recently.

As has been said before live life without harming others be true to yourself and family and be as charitable as you can. You really don't need a priest, minister, or any other bloke to tell you how to live your life.

According to the born-again crowd, it doesn't matter how you live your life. You could be a murderer, but once you accept Jesus, you're "saved" and bound for glory! Similarly, you could live a life of complete virtue and good deeds, but if you have not accepted Jesus, then you're bound for hell! Makes one wonder about the type of maniacal and self-centred god they believe in, where actions mean little but hero-worship of a supposed individual is all that matters.

cadence

Quote from: J70 on February 03, 2013, 02:24:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 03, 2013, 12:55:55 PM

According to the born-again crowd, it doesn't matter how you live your life. You could be a murderer, but once you accept Jesus, you're "saved" and bound for glory! Similarly, you could live a life of complete virtue and good deeds, but if you have not accepted Jesus, then you're bound for hell! Makes one wonder about the type of maniacal and self-centred god they believe in, where actions mean little but hero-worship of a supposed individual is all that matters.

Now! Now! Less of the philosophical questioning that is banned.

stew

What I don't understand is why unabashed atheists harp on so much about Scripture, I mean some of you lads talk more about God than some Priests do! :P

As for people deciding to turn away from God and follow were science takes them..................................good for them, after all man knows, or will know everything about everything presently, yip, science is the answer.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Jonah

QuoteAn "atheist church" in North London is proving a big hit with non-believers. Does it feel a bit like a new religion?

Not many sermons include the message that we are all going to die and there is no after life.

But the Sunday Assembly is no ordinary church service.

Launched last month, as a gathering for non-believers, it is, in the words of master of ceremonies Sanderson Jones, "part foot-stomping show, part atheist church, all celebration of life".

A congregation of more than 300 crowded into the shell of a deconsecrated church to join the celebration on Sunday morning
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21319945

So, a group of people whom have similar beliefs meet up regularly to discuss said beliefs.
Ironic isnt it?

J70

Quote from: Jonah on February 04, 2013, 07:09:21 PM
QuoteAn "atheist church" in North London is proving a big hit with non-believers. Does it feel a bit like a new religion?

Not many sermons include the message that we are all going to die and there is no after life.

Launched last month, as a gathering for non-believers, it is, in the words of master of ceremonies Sanderson Jones, "part foot-stomping show, part atheist church, all celebration of life".

A congregation of more than 300 crowded into the shell of a deconsecrated church to join the celebration on Sunday morning

So, a group of people whom have similar beliefs meet up regularly to discuss said beliefs.
Ironic isnt it?

Ironic how?

Atheistic objections to religion are not about clubs or meetings or conferences or discussions among people with a common interest or belief. The objections concern the details and veracity of the common interests and beliefs, not the fact that people who share them want to meet.

muppet

Quote from: J70 on February 04, 2013, 07:23:48 PM

Ironic isnt it?

Ironic how?

Atheistic objections to religion are not about clubs or meetings or conferences or discussions among people with a common interest or belief. The objections concern the details and veracity of the common interests and beliefs, not the fact that people who share them want to meet.

If I didn't believe in religion, setting up a church would seem like an odd thing to do.
MWWSI 2017

J70

Quote from: muppet on February 04, 2013, 07:27:27 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 04, 2013, 07:23:48 PM

Ironic isnt it?

Ironic how?

If I didn't believe in religion, setting up a church would seem like an odd thing to do.

I guess they're trying to show that you can have the social aspect without the fairytales and wishful thinking.

Again, its the beliefs themselves that are the point, not the people gathering together.