Bypasses and new motorways.

Started by 5 Sams, December 14, 2012, 10:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

While there's no doubt that the N7/M7, N1/M1, N4/M4/M6e tc, etc are a great addition to the infrastructure of this island...there are many things that are still missed from driving through the wee villages and towns of this country. Mar shampla...a feed in the Grove or the Monasterboice....a sneaky pint in Séamus Darby's in Toomevara..I mind having the crack in Castleisland..on the main street...in traffic...with Kieran Donaghy...windows wound down...me goin one way him going the other...what else do you miss. Or what do you not miss :(...trying to get through Banbridge or Dromore during marching season is one I won't miss. Bhur mbarúil?
The Aristocrat Years

ziggysego

You don't have to drive on the bypasses and motorways.
Testing Accessibility

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I demand motorway/dual-carriageway all the way from Derry/Letterkenny to Cork with motorway/dualcarriagway from Westport to Dublin and Killarney/Tralee  to Limerick both intersecting it. Also dual-carriageway/ motorway from Athlone to Belfast intersecting the Dublin-Westport one and another one from Athlone to Wexford/Waterford. f**k all the stop-overs on the way.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

laoislad

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 15, 2012, 12:02:35 AM
I demand motorway/dual-carriageway all the way from Derry/Letterkenny to Cork with motorway/dualcarriagway from Westport to Dublin and Killarney/Tralee  to Limerick both intersecting it. Also dual-carriageway/ motorway from Athlone to Belfast intersecting the Dublin-Westport one and another one from Athlone to Wexford/Waterford. f**k all the stop-overs on the way.

+1
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Eamonnca1

Always had good crack with the mates on the bus to and from the Tech in Lurgan.  Then we started getting our drivers licenses and borrowing family motors.  Always struck me as a bit less fun in the car, there was more and merrier on the bus. 

Always loved getting the train to Dublin on All-Ireland day.  Wasn't quite the same when driving for the same reason, and a lot less comfortable too.  On the train there was room to stretch out, go for a dander, go the the bar, meet interesting people.  There was one fella who was in the defence forces talking about UN peacekeeping duties in the former Yugoslavia.  Former teachers that you'd bump into and catch up with.  Maybe even the occasional "quare bit of stuff" that you could chat to.  You never meet people like that when it's just your family in the motor.

To this day I've always preferred the train.  More sociable, more relaxed, and before the motorway it was a whole lot faster than driving.

Hardy

Balbriggan. I never have to see Balbriggan again. That alone justifies the entire motorway investment programme.

BennyCake

Julianstown was always a place we stopped coming home from Dublin on match days. Pulled off the M1 last year into it, and it's now like a ghost town. The Old Mill hotel was closed down. They did decent grub and you always got loads of fans stopping there.

That's progress for ya though.

Windmill abu

QuoteBalbriggan. I never have to see Balbriggan again. That alone justifies the entire motorway investment programme.

too true. they always held devotions on a Sunday evening causing 2 hour traffic jams. even worse if you were beat
Never underestimate the power of complaining

JUst retired

Eamonnca1,you must have been from `Trasna or Aghagallon direction then. 8)

Kid Twist

I wouldn't know to be honest, we don't have them sort of things around Derry

Maguire01

Keep building more bypasses and motorways.

laoislad

Athy is top of my least favourite towns to get stuck in traffic in before it was by passed,closely followed by Monasterevin and Kildare town.
Athy though is dreadful,surely the most depressing and ugliest town in Ireland,and to be stuck in it for 2 hours on a friday evening was the pits!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Walter Cronc

You lads are lucky you's have them. Around Derry we have been waiting on them this 30+ years!!

theticklemister

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 15, 2012, 12:55:05 AM
Always had good crack with the mates on the bus to and from the Tech in Lurgan.  Then we started getting our drivers licenses and borrowing family motors.  Always struck me as a bit less fun in the car, there was more and merrier on the bus. 

Always loved getting the train to Dublin on All-Ireland day.  Wasn't quite the same when driving for the same reason, and a lot less comfortable too.  On the train there was room to stretch out, go for a dander, go the the bar, meet interesting people.  There was one fella who was in the    defence forces  talking about UN peacekeeping duties in the former Yugoslavia.  Former teachers that you'd bump into and catch up with.  Maybe even the occasional "quare bit of stuff" that you could chat to.  You never meet people like that when it's just your family in the motor.

To this day I've always preferred the train.  More sociable, more relaxed, and before the motorway it was a whole lot faster than driving.

Thats why I don't get the train  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Ah to Dublin from Derry is 2h and 45 mins with the motorway. Going through Slane was always a **** after matches, the bridge over the Boyne only let traffic through in one direction at a time. We don't go to Dublin as much as we use to for matches anymore anyways and by the looks of it, it'll be another while yet before we get the run down. Coming back from Croker after the kildare qualifying hiding 2 years ago on the public bus is not another trip i wish to make again, 4 1/2 hours. Thats we got our drunken brains together and vowed not to take public transport to matches ever again - so we formed the Derry Gaa City Supporters Club; rough initial first year in terms of numbers; but here's hoping for a renewed effort this year from the supporters club!!

Donnellys Hollow

I'm grateful for no longer having to endure the smell of the meat factory on the way into Kildare town due to being parked outside it for three quarters of an hour anytime I was going down the country. Mountrath is another place I'm glad I don't have to traverse ever again.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?