The National Anthem

Started by 4father, October 03, 2011, 10:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: michaelg on October 04, 2011, 07:53:20 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 04, 2011, 03:09:16 PM
Quote from: Hardy on October 04, 2011, 02:27:46 PM
Do you do this specifically to insult the players and the section of supporters for whom this anthem was devised and how would you react if they were bawling out Ireland's Call while the National Anthem was being played?
I don't do it to insult anyone, just like to voice my opposition to Irelands call as an anthem. If someone wished to do the reverse I would respect their right to do so.
Absolute shite - You would be up in arms
Incidentally, do people look at you as if you are a bit touched when you are doing this?
How the fcuk would you know how i would react?

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

michaelg

Quote from: ballinaman on October 04, 2011, 07:55:18 PM
Do you do this specifically to insult the players and the section of supporters for whom this anthem was devised and how would you react if they were bawling out Ireland's Call while the National Anthem was being played?
I don't do it to insult anyone, just like to voice my opposition to Irelands call as an anthem. If someone wished to do the reverse I would respect their right to do so.
Incidentally, do people look at you as if you are a bit touched when you are doing this?
Granted I do not - On a related point, however, do you not think that you and your mates' actions could be construed as a tad intimidating to "the people who can only sing Irelands Call..." - Or, was that your intention?

ballinaman

Quote from: michaelg on October 04, 2011, 08:13:30 PM
Granted I do not - On a related point, however, do you not think that you and your mates' actions could be construed as a tad intimidating to "the people who can only sing Irelands Call..." - Or, was that your intention?
I suppose it could but we're not exactly a group of drunken louts roaring our heads off. Just singing what we believe to be the rightful anthem with pride.

michaelg

Quote from: ballinaman on October 04, 2011, 08:37:25 PM
I suppose it could but we're not exactly a group of drunken louts roaring our heads off. Just singing what we believe to be the rightful anthem with pride.
Which has already been sang and acknowledged - Given that there are many at Lansdowne / Aviva with no connection to the "rightful anthem", surely an opportunity for all present (Players in particular) to get involved can only be a good thing - Check out big Ferris singing his balls off - Seems to give him, Best et al a chance to get into the right frame of mind and get psyched up for the match at hand

Mike Sheehy

at least if you were drunk there would be some reason to it but to be so petty about it when you are sober makes it even worse.

J70

Which you said you'd already sung.

Face it, by doing what you do, you're showing complete disrespect to the idea of an inclusive All-Ireland rugby team.

Maguire01

Let's imagine the Norn Iron football team get themselves a new 'neutral' anthem. What would your opinion be of those who might 'sing' GSTQ over it?

Myles Na G.

Given that the Ireland rugby, cricket and hockey teams all use Ireland's Call, it's the closest thing we have to an agreed anthem for the island. It may not be the greatest song in the world, but at least it allows all of us to sing along together. And corny as it is, it's 100 times better than that musical hall nonsense called A Soldier's Song which, I believe, has been translated into Irish in recent years to cover up the fact that the lyrics are a pile of keek. National anthem my arse.

lawnseed

"banan nan nan a republic septic isle.."
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

michaelg

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 04, 2011, 10:28:38 PM
Let's imagine the Norn Iron football team get themselves a new 'neutral' anthem. What would your opinion be of those who might 'sing' GSTQ over it?
Complete arseholes who arguably should get bucked out of the ground

sans pessimism

very short version of Irelands Call today TG
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

sammymaguire

Quote from: sans pessimism on October 08, 2011, 08:27:24 AM
very short version of Irelands Call today TG

Maybe that's why they lost?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.