US Open 2011 16th-19th June at Congressional Country Club

Started by Groucho, June 09, 2011, 12:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossfire

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 20, 2011, 09:13:51 PM
I'm curious as to why you think he's a bit of a dick? I've been nothing but impressed with him every time I've had occasion to see or hear him. His gesture to Shane Lowry when he won the Irish Open was great, as was his dignified response to his disaster in Augusta, including the photo with Swartzel. His work in Haiti and his interview last night. He seems to be a nice young fella to me, who knows he has a great job and is happy to share the enjoyment of it.Maybe there's something I don't know about.
+1

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: gallsman on June 21, 2011, 10:24:03 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 21, 2011, 01:18:52 PM
Quote from: Orior on June 21, 2011, 12:32:32 AM
Quote from: Eire2010 on June 21, 2011, 12:21:59 AM
Quote from: gallsman on June 21, 2011, 12:06:27 AM
Some of the talk on this thread is embarrassing.

From what I know of him, McIloy is a likable, down to earth, all round nice guy. He appears to like nothing better than coming home and hanging out with his mates in the Belfast spots any other 22 year old would go to. Who gives a toss about his politics or allegiance?

Sligonian, I remember you had a problem with Marty Clarke writing NI for "Northern Ireland" on his arm during his Collingwood tenure so forgive me if I, or anybody else, cares a damn what you think.

+1

Is that a catholic plus or a protestant plus?
That is a ridiculou series of posts mbarrasing stuff, i never once mentioned anything negative regarding mcilroys nationality or religion have come on here looking to be offended and spout yer moral police rubbish that fits in nicely with yere egos, i said i think hes a dick from stuff hes said in the past, I dont have to like to him just because ye or puckoon say so. Ye really need to look at yereselves and read my posts properly, do i really have to bump my post up again... i cant see the releavance on marty clarke and i cant remember what i said tbh, but just goes to show how bitter some of ye are to remember something i siad 3/4 yrs ago..

+1 Fair play to Clarke some sessions ahead , congrats to rory, i still think hes a bit of dick but what he did over the last weekend was phenonmenal, i thought he'd blow it but credit where its due it showed some balls to win after only 17 days since Augusta, Its great to see the older players rallying round him too wanting to share his triumph.

When i saw the Tri colour being thrown i cringed tbh, its an Irish thing once theres international success we try claim him/her if theres a doubt of nationality. Let him be who he wants to be
bumped,maybe when yourreplying to my posts you could quote it in future, i dont have to defend anything i said, just the usual reposts saying i something completely different without quote.

I'm not going to go and search for a post that is a couple of years old, but I specifically know you expressed the fact you were "disappointed" that Clarke wrote "NI" on his arm as you assumed it meant the Norn Iron Saccer team.

The relevance is, as pointed out above, this isn't the first time you've expressed such narrow minded opinions on one of our country's top young stars based on their allegiances.
Explain to me and to everyone how my above post is narrow minded based on my allegiance?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

gallsman

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 21, 2011, 11:22:24 PM
Explain to me and to everyone how my above post is narrow minded based on my allegiance?

I didn't once mention your allegiance, which frankly, I don't care about.

What I described as narrow-minded is the fact that your opinion of both McIlroy and Clarke is to some extent defined by their allegiances.

deiseach

What a stupid cartooon. Surely Rory would say "nae bother"

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: gallsman on June 21, 2011, 11:25:26 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 21, 2011, 11:22:24 PM

I didn't once mention your allegiance, which frankly, I don't care about.

What I described as narrow-minded is the fact that your opinion of both McIlroy and Clarke is to some extent defined by their allegiances.
Why am i such a big fan of mcdowell then seems as he is a NI protestant, why do i like westwood and poulter, 2 English Players? My opinion on McIlroy is based on what hes said over the yrs nothing more, you can keep spouting lies to suit your own agenda, you clearly have a chip on your shoulder since my clarke comments, i would say ive changed as a person last 3/4 yrs since i said that, in that i dont really give a shit what his allegiance is or mcllroys, hes a fine footballer and unreal golfer. If saying McIlroy should be whoever he wants to be, is narrow minded then maybe you need to look up its definition. I would say im open minded and my post clearly reflects that.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

RMDrive

Perhaps like you Sligonian, Rory has changed a bit and shouldn't be judged by a few ill-spoken comments? He comes across as a very sound lad and someone that carries himself well.

BarryBreensBandage

2nd best moment of the open:
McIlroy lookin over and finding his da in the crowd, just before his final shot.

Best moment of the open:
When Freddy Jacobsen four-putted for double bogey, the commentators and crowd fell silent; Freddy lifted the ball, punched the air and shouted yo!! with a big smile on his face. Crowd went mad.

It was priceless, and the best I have seen at handling disappointment under pressure - if only some more of these sports-stars could learn to laugh at themselves, not mentioning anyone, (sourpuss Murray)
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".