1981 remembered

Started by MK, August 14, 2011, 09:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on August 15, 2011, 04:19:56 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 15, 2011, 04:01:18 PM
Quote from: Forever Green on August 15, 2011, 03:50:03 PM
MGHU, I have just realised how much of a ballbag you really are

Why, this is the "1981 remembered" thread is it not?

MGHU, the initial post of this thread as you well know, marks the thread as being one about respecting the Hunger Strikers on the 30th Anniversary of their deaths. That event bring up painful memories and means a lot to certain people.

Clearly you have no respect for these men, but I would ask that, on this anniversary, you allow those who do respect them and who wish to talk about them in this thread, to do so in peace.

How many anniversaries are you going to have, seems to be one every week at this rate  :P

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

spuds

One thing not agreeing with certain stances and voicing your opinion, but to be making fun of people commemorating their dead is more than insensitive. MGHU you are a disgrace. You do nothing but polarise opinion to the extreme on FG and their history.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: spuds on August 15, 2011, 04:37:39 PM
One thing not agreeing with certain stances and voicing your opinion, but to be making fun of people commemorating their dead is more than insensitive. MGHU you are a disgrace. You do nothing but polarise opinion to the extreme on FG and their history.

The Simpsons picture is purely for Nally Stand, he seems to think he is my Nemisis or something (I knew he would be along, with his multiple quotes from yonks back). To the rest, alot more things happened in 1981, it is arrogant to presume otherwise. Other people also posted other things which happened in 1981, so I am not the only one who thought along these lines.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 15, 2011, 04:56:31 PM
The Simpsons picture is purely for Nally Stand, he seems to think he is my Nemisis or something
Don't flatter yourself.

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 15, 2011, 04:56:31 PM
To the rest, alot more things happened in 1981, it is arrogant to presume otherwise. Other people also posted other things which happened in 1981, so I am not the only one who thought along these lines.
Re-read the opening post of the thread. You know well that this thread related to the Hunger Strike. The next number of posts to the thread made that even clearer. You still continued to troll. Show some human decency. You have been told now that this thread is a place for people to remember the Hunger Strikers. I politely ask that you now allow people to do so in peace.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Interesting piece on RTÉ Radio 1 this morning about Irish Hunger Strikes actually. Even for those who don't agree with the 1981 Hunger Strikers, it makes interesting listening:

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/todaywithpatkenny/

The full section of the show can be listened to near the bottom of that page (Book: Pawns in the Game: Irish Hunger Strikes 1912 to 1981:
Barry Flynn, Author, with Pat Sheehan and Gerry Kelly who survived lengthy hunger strikes.)

The discussions are about Hunger Strikes/Strikers in Ireland in the 20th Century, with Barry Flynn (the author of a book on the topic), Gerry Kelly, SF (who suffered through 170 attempts at force feeding) and Pat Sheehan, SF (who was 55 days into his Hunger Strike when the Strike was halted in 1981). Horrible sounding description of one method used to force feed from Gerry Kelly at one point. Also an incredible story from Pat Sheehan of his last visit from his family before his Strike began. Sheehan also discusses the effects on the body as a Hunger Strike goes along. They also discuss the FG government's hijacking and burial under 7ft of concrete of the remains of Mayo Hunger Striker Frank Stagg in 1976, in order to prevent his being buried in the Republican Plot where he had requested.

Remarkably mild, balanced and impartial discussion actually. Worth a listen.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Evil Genius

Quote from: Nally Stand on August 15, 2011, 12:17:21 PM
Few pics from yesterday found online:

Hmmm. What does that photograph remind me of?

Oh, yes, this must be it...

Still, on a lighter note, as the Winner of the "1981 NI Graffito of the Year" so aptly put it, "We'll Never Forget You, Jimmy Sands"  ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Nally Stand

Some more pics I've came across from Camlough yesterday:

Forever Green

Great pics Nally. Good to see so may people commemorate true Irish heroes

Evil Genius

Quote from: Nally Stand on August 15, 2011, 06:30:36 PM
Some more pics I've came across from Camlough yesterday:

Might they not all be better occupied spending their time helping in the search for The Disappeared?

Just a thought... ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Nally Stand

Quote from: Forever Green on August 15, 2011, 06:38:48 PM
Great pics Nally. Good to see so may people commemorate true Irish heroes

More to follow if I can track any down...

Puckoon

Today marks the 13th Anniversary of the Omagh Bomb.

I don't agree with MGHU's trolling efforts - but there are very different opinions on comments like this:

Quote from: Forever Green on August 15, 2011, 06:38:48 PM
Good to see so may people commemorate true Irish heroes

4father

Quote from: Nally Stand on August 15, 2011, 03:05:43 PM
Agree as well. All Commemorations should be 100% independent from political parties. A difficult thing to achieve but wouldn't it be ideal of the NGA was in a position to oversee the organisation of all such major events.

One word, yes. 

But there is a necessity to bring everyone on board and not who the Shinners would like to have there.

Alright that was 23 words.

Nally Stand

Again, I agree. Non party politcal, in my eyes, means non party political.

4father

People, we should not respond to MGHU and to anyone else who is attempting to divide and rile...  A reply is what they are after.

glens abu

Quote from: 4father on August 15, 2011, 06:55:05 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on August 15, 2011, 03:05:43 PM
Agree as well. All Commemorations should be 100% independent from political parties. A difficult thing to achieve but wouldn't it be ideal of the NGA was in a position to oversee the organisation of all such major events.

One word, yes. 

But there is a necessity to bring everyone on board and not who the Shinners would like to have there.

Alright that was 23 words.

A lot of nonsense,live in the real world the Republican groups who oppose Sinn Fein don't want to be associated them. Their agenda is Sinn fein bashing so they should join the RSF[or is it real RSF]commemoration in Bundoran or arrange for 32 county,RSF,RRSF,ONH,IRSP,RNU,EirigEgos,and all the rest to organise a joint commemoration.We will continue to rem the brave men who died on Hunger strike every year and if people like you don't want to attend that's your choice.