Ireland or God?

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, July 29, 2011, 02:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you had to be loyal to only one. Would it be Ireland or God?

Ireland
20 (46.5%)
God
23 (53.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

thejuice

If God exists, then I'd probably go with him.

But I won't know till I'm dead so I'll stick with Ireland till then.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

The Iceman

I don't believe there was any "fun" intended in the post at all. In fact it is quite sad that you would ask people to choose.
Separating religion from state does not mean you are choosing Ireland over God. It means you are recognising that no one group, organisation or institution can have an influence over the governing of the people of Ireland.

A long time ago I posted a thread about connectedness and allegiance. Most people agreed that you have more allegiance to your parish than to your country. That connectedness comes from people, the place, community and more often Gaelic Games. But in the midst of that has always been God. Maybe not for everyone but at least for most. Your parish is centered around the place of worship, it wouldn't exist in the terms you know it as today without that place of worship.

Around the world the words "Irish" and "Catholic" go hand in hand. There is a presumption (rightly or wrongly) that if you're Irish you have some faith. People have told me that when you know someone is Irish "you know what you're getting".
It's sad that this is no longer the case. The faith of Irish men and women has spread all over the world and helped forge communities and strengthen families everywhere. But today there seems little hope of that continuing. Not because of the failings of the Church, but because the same sheep mentality that the Church took advantage of throughout the centuries, is now being used by those who would see it crumble.

If you have faith in God and want to continue searching and growing in that faith, then don't stop because the majority think you're wrong. Many of the same majority will be calling for God on their death beds and thankful of your prayers.
Not so long ago Roman Catholics were persecuted for their faith and responded in great numbers and fought for that faith. Back then it was our planted neighbours who did the persecuting, now its "our own".

There is no excuse for what happened in the Church. But God is still God.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

dillinger

Quote from: hardstation on July 29, 2011, 10:42:11 AM
Is God a sleekit, greedy wee cnut who would cut his granny's throat for the sniff of 5 euro?

If not, I'd back him.

Don't think God has/had a Granny.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 29, 2011, 02:48:55 AM
On the whole Daddy of Chips idea. If you had to make the choice and you could only choose one. Would you pledge your loyalty to Ireland or God. Now let the Christians out there remember if God really does exist, that he will know which one you chose. Remember the confession box only works if you don't pre-plan to use it as a get of gaol/jail free card  ;)

So which will it be, loyalty to Ireland or loyalty to God?

Says the man who's over in England! ::)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: hardstation on July 29, 2011, 10:42:49 PM
Is mayogodhelpus eligible for a God v Ireland referendum?

What about Ireland v The Pope?

Why is mayogodhelpus getting Ireland into loads of fights, while staying well out of the road?

Well Ireland v The Pope is taking place already, think Ireland is kicking his ass at the moment. Also thats a real fight, as the Pope unlike God exists.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: hardstation on July 29, 2011, 10:36:35 PM
When was the last time mayogodhelpus spent a fiver in Ireland?

Rats from a sinking ship? Was he the first rat?

"If we only had old Ireland over here".

Is it easy to love Ireland from afar?

Spent a fiver in Ireland last week. Perferred not to add to the dole queue in Ireland, so choose to work in England. Of course when I worked in Ireland I was paying taxes to the government of the Irish Republic. (Wait for the jokes about Berlin).

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 29, 2011, 10:38:02 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 29, 2011, 02:48:55 AM
On the whole Daddy of Chips idea. If you had to make the choice and you could only choose one. Would you pledge your loyalty to Ireland or God. Now let the Christians out there remember if God really does exist, that he will know which one you chose. Remember the confession box only works if you don't pre-plan to use it as a get of gaol/jail free card  ;)

So which will it be, loyalty to Ireland or loyalty to God?

Says the man who's over in England! ::)

Showed my loyalth to Ireland by chooseing honest work in England over contributing to the dole figures in the already stretched finances of Ireland.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

It is a little worrying that 54.2% of people in the poll at the moment would betray Mother Ireland for an Imaginary Friend.

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 29, 2011, 10:57:03 PM
It is a little worrying that 54.2% of people in the poll at the moment would betray Mother Ireland for an Imaginary Friend.

MGHU, how is it you talk about not using terms like "nordie" or "free stater" as they might be insulting, yet you happily grossly insult people over their faith? Is that not self-contradictory?

Ohhh wait, contradicting yourself is your speciality isn't it.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on July 29, 2011, 11:04:49 PM

MGHU, how is it you talk about not using terms like "nordie" or "free stater" as they might be insulting, yet you happily grossly insult people over their faith? Is that not self-contradictory?

Would you put the Tooth Fairy before Ireland. God = the Tooth Fairy = the Banshee = the Easter Bunny = Thor = Batman. You talk about what a great Irishman you are but you cannot see how clear and easy choice it is to pick Mother Ireland.

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 29, 2011, 11:27:05 PM

Would you put the Tooth Fairy before Ireland. God = the Tooth Fairy = the Banshee = the Easter Bunny = Thor = Batman. You talk about what a great Irishman you are but you cannot see how clear and easy choice it is to pick Mother Ireland.

So it's ok to insult people for having faith in a religion, but not to call them a "free stater" or "nordie" because that might offend?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on July 29, 2011, 11:38:44 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 29, 2011, 11:27:05 PM

So it's ok to insult people for having faith in a religion, but not to call them a "free stater" or "nordie" because that might offend?

Nally Stand

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Nally Stand

No that is a picture outlining your view of people with faith in a religion.

So I will ask you AGAIN (that sounded familiar):

Is it ok to insult people for having faith in a religion, but not to call them a "free stater" or "nordie" because that might offend, as you have previously stated?