Six Nations 2012

Started by Karl Kennedy, July 09, 2011, 09:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 10, 2012, 05:32:06 PM
I think tomorrow night is going to be a long night for Irish rugby. Looking at the two back lines only O'Gara would make it in and that's because he can control a game, Trinh-Duc like Sexton is too inconsistent at international level. As for the two respective packs we have the edge with Healy, Best, O'Connell and Heaslip. So bascially in a composite team we would have 5 players and one of those isn't starting, if it wasn't Ireland that France are playing I'd be all over the handicap.

Hope I am wrong.

Have to agree with this re Trinh-Duc, a fly half is the only thing holding France back, well that and a complete lack of consistency.

I actually think Johnny would be alright if he was aloud to play his own game.  The current game plan is more suited to O Gara's game though.

Sexton is going to have madigan chasing him very shortly by the looks of it, especially if he can develop his place kicking.  Anyone know whether he cant place kick or is it that Leinster just dont have any faith in him doing it.  Found it strange that being 14 points ahead in the league they would have given him the chance to have a go last night instead of Nacewa. 

whitegoodman

Quote from: trileacman on February 10, 2012, 06:59:20 PM
I think tomorrow night is going to be a long night for Irish rugby. Looking at the two back lines only O'Gara would make it in and that's because he can control a game, Trinh-Duc like Sexton is too inconsistent at international level. As for the two respective packs we have the edge with Healy, Best, O'Connell and Heaslip. So bascially in a composite team we would have 5 players and one of those isn't starting, if it wasn't Ireland that France are playing I'd be all over the handicap.

Hope I am wrong.

Heaslip is living of past reputation in my opinion. Has not been up to scratch for a while now in an Ireland shirt and if I was the coach I would drop him and play O'Brien at 8 and play a better openside at 7.

Thought about that one myself but Heaslips performances have improved of late and if you move O'Brien to 8 who to you put at 7.  It would be fine if David Wallace was fit but it would be difficult to give O Mahony his debut in Paris, unfair in fact.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 10, 2012, 07:05:39 PM

Hope I am wrong.

Have to agree with this re Trinh-Duc, a fly half is the only thing holding France back, well that and a complete lack of consistency.

I actually think Johnny would be alright if he was aloud to play his own game.  The current game plan is more suited to O Gara's game though.

Sexton is going to have madigan chasing him very shortly by the looks of it, especially if he can develop his place kicking.  Anyone know whether he cant place kick or is it that Leinster just dont have any faith in him doing it.  Found it strange that being 14 points ahead in the league they would have given him the chance to have a go last night instead of Nacewa.

Agree with the game plan but do we pick a game plan to suit players or players to suit a game plan - we're falling between the bar and the stool. I pick a game plan to suit the players.

He's a poor goal kicker but other players can kick - 1/2p is a full-back, Owen Farrell is a 12, Parra is a 9 - sometimes I think it's a Irish/Munster Obsession that a 10 has to kick goals.

Madigan is a cocky fecker, I like him will push Sexton next season.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 10, 2012, 07:37:02 PM

Hope I am wrong.

Heaslip is living of past reputation in my opinion. Has not been up to scratch for a while now in an Ireland shirt and if I was the coach I would drop him and play O'Brien at 8 and play a better openside at 7.

Thought about that one myself but Heaslips performances have improved of late and if you move O'Brien to 8 who to you put at 7.  It would be fine if David Wallace was fit but it would be difficult to give O Mahony his debut in Paris, unfair in fact.

He was by miles Irelands best back-row player last week. Ferris was awful last week, O'Brien not much better, O'Brien is not a 7. It's now pretty obvious we can only play 2 of the 3 and we need a 7.  Dominic Ryan/Willie Faloon are the best up and coming 7s in Ireland imho but unfortunately 7 is a problem position for Ireland, don't envy Kidney that selection headache one bit.

O'Brien to me looks like he has been figured out a little, getting hit very early as soon as he gets his paws on the ball. Needs to be more clever with his lines of running.
#newbridgeornowhere

whitegoodman

Oh I agree we should be playing a system that suits the players but not sure we are going to see Kidney doing that at this stage.  If we were to be playing a running game then I would be having reddan at 9, Sexton at 10, Wallace 12 and Earls at 13.  There is no future with O Gara but he is better suited to the way we are playing at the minute with Murray inside him.

Madigan reminds me of David Humphreys in his early days, he too wasnt the best of kickers then too but developed it to international standard.  Will be some battle between Sexton and Madigan in a year or 2.  Or could we see one of them moving to Munster as O Gara's long term replacement ( dont rate Keatley)

whitegoodman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 10, 2012, 08:00:45 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on February 10, 2012, 07:37:02 PM

Hope I am wrong.

He was by miles Irelands best back-row player last week. Ferris was awful last week, O'Brien not much better, O'Brien is not a 7. It's now pretty obvious we can only play 2 of the 3 and we need a 7.  Dominic Ryan/Willie Faloon are the best up and coming 7s in Ireland imho but unfortunately 7 is a problem position for Ireland, don't envy Kidney that selection headache one bit.

O'Brien to me looks like he has been figured out a little, getting hit very early as soon as he gets his paws on the ball. Needs to be more clever with his lines of running.

Having seen quite a bit of Willie Faloon I just dont see him as being able to step up to international level, think he would have done so at this stage if he was.  Think Ulster branch feel the same as they are trying to make a 7 out of Henry, to some success as well.  Ulster had a great prospect at 7 a few years ago in David Pollack but sadly he got a bad injury and had to retire at a very early stage in his career.

There arent too many international teams that play with the traditional 7's anymore (look at France tomorrow night) but you need a smart player to play it.  Wallace could do it but not sure O Brien can do it, he is more brawn than brains, the same with Ferris in fact.  Dominic Ryan maybe but will he get game time there in the near future?  Maybe when Jennings leaves the scene at Leinster.

thewobbler

This Gilroy chap impresses me almost every time I watch him. Has a natural flair for being in the right place at the right time. Missed a couple of tackles last year but seems to be improving defensively.

Dinny Breen

Ryan has been out injured with a fractured ankle - he play 31 times last season for Leinster and was expected to be Leinsters first choice 7 by the end of this season. Ryan should go to NZ in the summer with the full Irish squad, still only 21 and a better player than Jennings.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: thewobbler on February 10, 2012, 08:26:13 PM
This Gilroy chap impresses me almost every time I watch him. Has a natural flair for being in the right place at the right time. Missed a couple of tackles last year but seems to be improving defensively.

I like him too, took him at 7/5 to score anytime  :)

Should have been on the Irish Wolfhounds team.
#newbridgeornowhere

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Bord na Mona man

I think Ireland might do better than expected against France.
For the last while Ireland's poorer performances have been against sides they haven't shown enough respect to.
Games where they've thrown the ball wide early, expecting to run it through the opposition and where we're kicked Garryowens, chips and grubbers, expecting mistakes and lucky bounces.
Playing for the cheap and easy tries, instead of putting in the groundwork.

The big wins against England and Australia last year where games when Ireland didn't waste the ball cheaply. Where they actually played it tighter and tried to win the battle in the forwards first. Just as some of the GS '09 games were won with pure grunt work.

Against France, Ireland can't risk all these 50-50 garryowens and kick and chases...or whatever the technical terms are.
Even if Ireland win most of them, the French are lethal at creating tries off the cuff from the chaos and broken play that these lead to.

Ireland should be prepared to ruck and recycle the ball to death, as if it was Munster closing out a Heineken Cup final, just to keep the French hands off it. Hope the French start to lose their composure and openings appear.

In nearly game in Paris that I can remember, Ireland have started by kicking everything they lay their hands on to the French. The French are usually out of sight by half time having run it back and through Ireland.

The home fans need to be silenced as well because the French team and crowd seem to feed off each other. Especially when they start running and making breaks. When the crowd get festive, it seems to inspire the French players start doing outrageous stuff.

Dinny Breen

Ireland confirm they have called Paddy Wallace into squad as cover for Jonny Sexton. Sexton carrying knock but not yet ruled out

O'Gara, D'Arcy and Earls - Rougerie is a wee bit excited I'd imagine..
#newbridgeornowhere

thewobbler

Seriously ROG, D'arcy and Earls in midfield together would be horrendous. Most club centres would fancy their chances. Harinordaquay will basically play midfield tomorrow.

trileacman

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 10, 2012, 08:38:15 PM
For the last while Ireland's poorer performances have been against sides they haven't shown enough respect to.
Games where they've thrown the ball wide early, expecting to run it through the opposition and where we're kicked Garryowens, chips and grubbers, expecting mistakes and lucky bounces.

The big wins against England and Australia last year where games when Ireland didn't waste the ball cheaply. Where they actually played it tighter and tried to win the battle in the forwards first. Just as some of the GS '09 games were won with pure grunt work.

Against France, Ireland can't risk all these 50-50 garryowens and kick and chases...or whatever the technical terms are.
Even if Ireland win most of them, the French are lethal at creating tries off the cuff from the chaos and broken play that these lead to.

Ireland should be prepared to ruck and recycle the ball to death, as if it was Munster closing out a Heineken Cup final, just to keep the French hands off it. Hope the French start to lose their composure and openings appear.

In nearly game in Paris that I can remember, Ireland have started by kicking everything they lay their hands on to the French. The French are usually out of sight by half time having run it back and through Ireland.

The home fans need to be silenced as well because the French team and crowd seem to feed off each other. Especially when they start running and making breaks. When the crowd get festive, it seems to inspire the French players start doing outrageous stuff.

The press line is that those victories you speak of were won by sheer physicality by the Irish team, a ploy which is infeasible in the long run. The performance against Australia was followed and preceded by poor performances. It is possible that the Aussies underestimated us and we in turn played out of our skins when presented with an opportunity to prove doubters wrong.

O'Driscoll, Cullen, O'Connell, Ferris, Heaslip, Wallace and Kearney are as physical as any player the world over in their respective positions. Too many of our "good" performances rely upon us stunning the opposition with the physicality at the ruck, lineout and tackle and winning by a greater number of penalties taken.

I believe this to a certain extent. Many of our top performances are hallmarked by a gritty determination and a controlled aggression much of it in the Munster style.

Very rarely can we say we beat a top 6 world side by having a vastly superior back-play or line-out or scrum or a clinical defence (as opposed to an aggressive one). A superior kicking game, aerial ability and physicality are our trump cards and we return to those principles time and time again to dig ourselves out of a hole (under the current management).

There are commentators who can articulate this point alot better than me and there is some value in the school of thought that says our current approach (tactical and selection wise) does not lend itself to consistent performances of a high calibre.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dinny Breen

Quote from: trileacman on February 11, 2012, 01:42:00 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 10, 2012, 08:38:15 PM

The press line is that those victories you speak of were won by sheer physicality by the Irish team, a ploy which is infeasible in the long run. The performance against Australia was followed and preceded by poor performances. It is possible that the Aussies underestimated us and we in turn played out of our skins when presented with an opportunity to prove doubters wrong.

O'Driscoll, Cullen, O'Connell, Ferris, Heaslip, Wallace and Kearney are as physical as any player the world over in their respective positions. Too many of our "good" performances rely upon us stunning the opposition with the physicality at the ruck, lineout and tackle and winning by a greater number of penalties taken.

I believe this to a certain extent. Many of our top performances are hallmarked by a gritty determination and a controlled aggression much of it in the Munster style.

Very rarely can we say we beat a top 6 world side by having a vastly superior back-play or line-out or scrum or a clinical defence (as opposed to an aggressive one). A superior kicking game, aerial ability and physicality are our trump cards and we return to those principles time and time again to dig ourselves out of a hole (under the current management).

There are commentators who can articulate this point alot better than me and there is some value in the school of thought that says our current approach (tactical and selection wise) does not lend itself to consistent performances of a high calibre.

Must be something in the water but I agree with all this, the commentators though are reluctant to make this point and I feel many are waiting till the 6 nations is over which is as it should be.

Post 6 Nations Ireland needs to assess what it wants to achieve, this you must win your next game philosophy while moderately successful under EOS and DK is now strangling our development, the provinces play different games to what we see at International level, Ulster and Leinster are very dynamic and Munster's forward play this year has probably been the best in the European club game yet we are not taking this into the Irish set-up.

As an aside rumors that all not happy in the set-up and that the analysis coach Mervyn Murphy has too much influence, it must be hard to for players to move from progressive coaching at the the provinces to the damage limitation minimise our mistakes coaching at International set-up.

Change needs to happen.

#newbridgeornowhere