Six Nations 2012

Started by Karl Kennedy, July 09, 2011, 09:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: thejuice on February 01, 2012, 02:15:16 PM
i have Wales down to do the slam this year.

France have to be favoured. By far the most talented squad overall and finally they seem to have some competent coaches in charge that aren't despised by the players.

Even with Lièvremont in charge they probably should have beaten the All-Blacks the World Cup final.

Dinny Breen

Wales are missing 7 of the team that beat Ireland hence Ireland are favourites.

However that Irish team depresses me, in particular the centre partnership and Donnacha O'Callaghan. At least O'Mahony is on the bench and I have a lot of sympathy for Donnacha Ryan.
#newbridgeornowhere

GaillimhIarthair

If Jamie Roberts is fit to start for Wales, our centre partnership are in big bother.  Earls has proven on many occassions that he is not a centre The selection of DOC is quite astounding - its hardly a form selection.  Its a very conservative and frustrating selection by Kidney - no surprise I suppose  :(

AZOffaly

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on February 01, 2012, 03:14:13 PM
If Jamie Roberts is fit to start for Wales, our centre partnership are in big bother.  Earls has proven on many occassions that he is not a centre The selection of DOC is quite astounding - its hardly a form selection.  Its a very conservative and frustrating selection by Kidney - no surprise I suppose  :(

That's what I was thinking about our centres. The big Welsh crash ball centre will be a big problem for either of them bucks.

But who could play second row? Donnacha Ryan? Devin Toner?

ballinaman

D'arcy must have dirt on Kidney....ffs.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 01, 2012, 03:15:39 PM

That's what I was thinking about our centres. The big Welsh crash ball centre will be a big problem for either of them bucks.

Kidney is caught between the Irish rugby media demanding a win, hence DOC's experience ahead of Ryan, versus an eye on the future which would see that call the other way round. Surely it would have been better to start Ryan with the experienced player available to come in when necessary. The Leo Cullen comments are delusional, Cullen is now 34, older than POC and DOC. He has never been a starter for Ireland and was never going to make it at this stage.

MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

But I don't think Donnacha Ryan is an international second row either. I think we have an issue there. Ryan will do a job for you, but he's not a spring chicken, and he's not really the future either I'd say. Devin Toner and Ian Nagle are probably the longer term bets.

Dinny Breen

2nd rows don't come into their prime until late 20s early 30s. Ryan is ok but his development has been held back by staying at Munster but he is on current form better than DOC. Dan Touhy would be my choice, a hardy abrasive boy who would flourish at International level and has been in good form for Ulster. Toner I have high hopes for but is 2/3 years away. Nagle is highly rated but needs to leave Munster, he hasn't even started HEC ffs, so the jury alas is very much out on that lad.
#newbridgeornowhere

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 01, 2012, 03:15:39 PM

Based on the squad thats picked, I would currently have Ryan in front of DOC.  Personally I would love to see Dan Touhy in there but Kidney's selections are way to conservative for that to happen unfortunately.

AZOffaly

Good call on Touhy. Forgot about him, but I'd say I'll be reminded in April in Thomond Park. I see what you are saying about Ryan, but I'm not so sure he's a better second row than O'Callaghan. Ryan seems to do most of his good work as the 'third' second rower, i.e. a hybrid number 6.

muppet

I know feck all about rugby and even less about the unseen stuff that the forwards get up to. A few years ago as an experiment I decided to pick what I thought was a useless grunt and watch him for the whole match to see what he did that was useful, if anything. I picked DOC as I thought he saw the least amount of ball of any player and thus was the least important.

In fairness to him I was amazed at the amount of tackles he made and how hard and often he hit the opposition via rucks, mauls & tackles etc and how often he was the first or second forward to the breakdown. The rugby connoisseurs here will see that as an amateur analysis, which it is, but it is the best this Gaa man can come up with.
MWWSI 2017

andoireabu

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 22, 2012, 08:56:12 PM
So you want one of 3 outside centres playing at inside centre??? Spence proved earlier in the season when playing 12 for Ulster that a very good player playing in the wrong position turns them into a very average player.  Inside centre and outside centre are completely different position with different skill sets.
What would be the difference? 
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Keane

Dinny Breen

Quote from: muppet on February 01, 2012, 04:28:12 PM
I know feck all about rugby and even less about the unseen stuff that the forwards get up to. A few years ago as an experiment I decided to pick what I thought was a useless grunt and watch him for the whole match to see what he did that was useful, if anything. I picked DOC as I thought he saw the least amount of ball of any player and thus was the least important.

In fairness to him I was amazed at the amount of tackles he made and how hard and often he hit the opposition via rucks, mauls & tackles etc and how often he was the first or second forward to the breakdown. The rugby connoisseurs here will see that as an amateur analysis, which it is, but it is the best this Gaa man can come up with.

It takes good discipline to do that Muppet as it's very easy get distracted by the momentum of the game.

DOC has always had a high work-rate and compliments a ball carrying 2nd row well, his role as defined by Gary Longwell would be a road sweeper and every team needs them i.e Guys committed to securing ruck ball. However this is only one function and his other roles, ball winner at 2, defensive pillar at the ruck, restarts and scrummaging I think his standards have dropped and even though not a ball carrier he is not carrying any at all. If his work-rate drops at all and I'm sure his Munster stats haven't been good hence Ryan is selected ahead of at merit when it was just the two of them vying for the 2nd row then is selection is one out of pure conservatism, putting faith in what you know and not form. 
#newbridgeornowhere

Bord na Mona man

The team has mostly picked itself. Knowing Kidney, he'll wait till the Autumn Internationals before making experimental selections. Not sure about Earls generally. He drops and spills more than he should.

Darcy lacks the smash factor at #12 that Jamie Roberts brings to Wales.
The last time against Wales, Ireland were completely over reliant on Ferris and O'Brien as crash runners. Once they were nullified, there was no one who else who could drive with it.
Too often Ireland tend to pass it from sideline to sideline, but never actually gaining much ground.

If only Kevin Maggs was still around!