Six Nations 2012

Started by Karl Kennedy, July 09, 2011, 09:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2012, 02:33:31 PM
Put O'Gara out to Pasture? I suppose if you're not overly worried about winning it and want to develop someone else (Humphries?) but he's still one of the better out halves around. Surprised O'Mahoney is not even in the Wolfhounds squad. Edit, just saw he's in the 'plus 6' bunch. As is Zebo, which surprises me.

Do you think O'Gara's form has been good, anytime I have since Munster this year they have performed poorly and two late drop goals seems to have masked peoples objectivity. I don't think ROG is playing well and his presence in the squad I feel undermines Sexton, I am aware that alternatives aren't there but Kidney needs to be bold and look at someone like Ian Madigan who at 22 years of age is a better player either Sexton or O'Gara were at that age.

The squad smacks of conservatism...

#newbridgeornowhere

BallyhaiseMan

I'm a big Rugby fan,but wouldn't be the most knowledeable.
How are the likes of Donnacha O Callaghan,Leo Cullen,Shane Jennings,Paddy Wallace,Gordon Darcy and co in ahead of
the likes of Dan Tuohy, Peter O'Mahony,Devin Toner,Ian Madigan,Fitzgerald etc???

At least he has the "excuse" of injuries to leave out Darren Cave, Nialll Ronan, Eoin Griffen and co  ::)
He also has an excuse to play Earls at outside centre.

Will Kidney still be lining out Darcy and DOC  at the RWC in 2015???

Bewildering.

Capt Pat

Fly halves are like fine wines, they get better with age. It is a lot about experience. Who have Wales called up? Shingler! The guy whose only clip on youtube is of a spear tackle.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Capt Pat on January 18, 2012, 04:39:15 PM
Fly halves are like fine wines, they get better with age. It is a lot about experience. Who have Wales called up? Shingler! The guy whose only clip on youtube is of a spear tackle.

Do you really believe that - I mean would you prefer Johnny Wilkinson 2003 or the 2011 model? Your st in the pocket and kick to the corners 10 maybe and yes certainly in O'Gara's case. He's had his day though and now it's time for him to move before it all catches up with him..
#newbridgeornowhere

trileacman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 18, 2012, 04:43:11 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on January 18, 2012, 04:39:15 PM

Do you really believe that - I mean would you prefer Johnny Wilkinson 2003 or the 2011 model? Your st in the pocket and kick to the corners 10 maybe and yes certainly in O'Gara's case. He's had his day though and now it's time for him to move before it all catches up with him..

Disagree to some extent. Certain players have had there day, Darcy, being one. However our abundance of fly-half options is not that long and Rog was a top class fly-half who for a year or two will be a top class replacement.

The word here is that we should sacrifice a possible Grand Slam in favour of "development" and "potential". I wonder were the naysayers would be when France kick us down the road with a team full of "potential".
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dinny Breen

You can excuse a developing team, you can't excuse an experienced team and that is what is going to happen this year...
#newbridgeornowhere

Dont Matter

Quote from: thewobbler on January 18, 2012, 03:24:59 PM
If he's not there to pass, and he's (I assume) not there to kick, then you must see him as a super human battering ram.

I like Trimble as a winger. He's got patience, speed, and he's good in the tackle. But he doesn't have the speed of mind or speed of hand to play centre at club level, let alone at international level.

I think he's well able for the position. You're underestimating his passing ability, as you say he has the speed and is good at breaking a tackle. A perfect foil for someone like Bowe outside.
In a position where we are short on options, I think he's worth a go.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Just seen on TV3 news there that that Marshall lad from Ulster didn't even make the Wolfhounds. I know Pienaar is ahead of him at the moment but he looks a good player.
Peter Quinn

muppet

Quote from: Dont Matter on January 18, 2012, 05:56:00 PM
Just seen on TV3 news there that that Marshall lad from Ulster didn't even make the Wolfhounds. I know Pienaar is ahead of him at the moment but he looks a good player.

Peter O'Mahony didn't even make the Wolfhounds!
MWWSI 2017

Dont Matter

Quote from: muppet on January 18, 2012, 06:06:01 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on January 18, 2012, 05:56:00 PM

Peter O'Mahony didn't even make the Wolfhounds!

:o Time to get the Kidney out campaign going.
Peter Quinn

AZOffaly

Stall the digger lads, I made the same mistake. Mahoney is on the extended 6 nations squad, i.e. the extra 6 lads.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2012, 07:07:29 PM
Stall the digger lads, I made the same mistake. Mahoney is on the extended 6 nations squad, i.e. the extra 6 lads.

Do they hold the bags?
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 18, 2012, 03:44:58 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2012, 02:33:31 PM
Put O'Gara out to Pasture? I suppose if you're not overly worried about winning it and want to develop someone else (Humphries?) but he's still one of the better out halves around. Surprised O'Mahoney is not even in the Wolfhounds squad. Edit, just saw he's in the 'plus 6' bunch. As is Zebo, which surprises me.

Do you think O'Gara's form has been good, anytime I have since Munster this year they have performed poorly and two late drop goals seems to have masked peoples objectivity. I don't think ROG is playing well and his presence in the squad I feel undermines Sexton, I am aware that alternatives aren't there but Kidney needs to be bold and look at someone like Ian Madigan who at 22 years of age is a better player either Sexton or O'Gara were at that age.

The squad smacks of conservatism...

Munster are not playing well, but they are improving bit by bit. The forwards are starting to resemble a physical pack again, but Paul O'Connell and Ronan O'Gara are dragging them over the line. O'Gara is not going to give you anything new at this stage, but I've always felt his passing is underrated. His goalkicking and kicking out of hand are as good as usual for this time of year. I'm certainly not seeing a big drop off in form.

Having said that, if the view is to 2015, then yes, Ronan should be left concentrate on Munster. If you are trying to win a 6 nations though, he's still in the top 2 in Ireland. And his presence should not undermine Sexton, Sexton should use him as a yardstick. He needs to beat O'Gara out, not be given a bye.

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on January 18, 2012, 07:13:13 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2012, 07:07:29 PM

Do they hold the bags?

Literally, the tackle bags :).

But they are not 'forgotten men' at least. I'd have been shocked if O'Mahony wasn't mentioned at all. He's been Munster's best player all year.

whitegoodman

Dinny if Sexton got injured after 5 mins against Wales would you seriously trust Madigen to come on and do a job because I wouldnt.  The lad has talent but isnt ready for that level for a few reasons.

a) He hasnt and doesnt place kick when playing for Leinster and to ask him to do that at international test level is too much at this stage.
b) His field kicking isnt at an international level either.
c)His defence isnt good enough yet either, even worse than O Gara if thats possible.

Send him to the wolfhounds and see where he is at this time next year but it would be foolish to be in the 24 man squad for this years competition.  Same applies to O Malley for that matter.

As Wales have shown in the last 18 months it doesnt take 4 years for a team to develop.  I dont get this we should be looking at the 2015 world cup, we dont know how players are going to be playing this time next year never mind 4 years time.

Its time enough trying to get a squad together for the world cup after the next lions tour.  For now we should be trying to develop the team and introducing new players as we progress whilst still be competitive in 6 nations and summer tours.

Other than Tuohy, Henry and Fitzgerald I dont think Deccie has omitted anyone of note.