Hospital Action Committees

Started by Aaron Boone, June 30, 2011, 10:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

Last night 500 people turned out in Portlaoise to say no to a potential downgrade to 24hr A&E.
Last week it was Roscommon General, with Ming facing off against Enda Kenny.

We've seen Monaghan/Mallow/Omagh etc all go through the same protest process - and what's the endgame? All downgraded eventaully, despite locally-elected reps for the direct ticket.

Is there any point to Hospital Action Committees?

muppet

Not if all they say is 'No' to any cuts without offering proposals.

We as a country are spending around €50bn and taking in roughly €30bn.

They might be wiser proposing viable changes to the spending in these hospitals to allow facilities to be retained,  rather than digging trenches in positions that are unsustainable financially. That would involve pain for the staff and thus the unions but it is the only way to go to retain services imho.

I hate seeing the reduction in services offered around the country, but we all know financially something has to give. Either the staff work for less or the services will be reduced.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

No services being reduced in Mayo I see.
I wonder why ........ ::)
I presume the staff in Roscomoon , Portlaoise etc will consider  working for less when their mortgages are reduced , the price of petrol is reduced , the price of food is reduced ..etc etc.

It seems as if HIQA is now the "tool" for closing A and Es rather than political decisions ( except Mayo of course  ::)).  They are sent in and like all Health/Safety operations they will find something to cause them to voice "concerns"  about something .... and then the poor Minister has no option but to close it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Rossfan on July 01, 2011, 12:48:09 PM
No services being reduced in Mayo I see.
I wonder why ........ ::)
I presume the staff in Roscomoon , Portlaoise etc will consider  working for less when their mortgages are reduced , the price of petrol is reduced , the price of food is reduced ..etc etc.

It seems as if HIQA is now the "tool" for closing A and Es rather than political decisions ( except Mayo of course  ::)).  They are sent in and like all Health/Safety operations they will find something to cause them to voice "concerns"  about something .... and then the poor Minister has no option but to close it.

They already cut services in Mayo Gerenal.

Bertie knew how to punish voters, and they knew how to punish FF back.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

Quote from: muppet on July 01, 2011, 12:59:37 AM
Not if all they say is 'No' to any cuts without offering proposals.

We as a country are spending around €50bn and taking in roughly €30bn.

They might be wiser proposing viable changes to the spending in these hospitals to allow facilities to be retained,  rather than digging trenches in positions that are unsustainable financially. That would involve pain for the staff and thus the unions but it is the only way to go to retain services imho.

I hate seeing the reduction in services offered around the country, but we all know financially something has to give. Either the staff work for less or the services will be reduced.
Cuts?  Not at all...simply print, borrow and throw more money at the problem,
Working great here for Obama  ::)  not!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann