Record numbers of free staters flock to join British Army

Started by Trout, March 29, 2011, 07:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 30, 2011, 12:21:32 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 30, 2011, 12:02:33 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 30, 2011, 12:49:55 AM
Or maybe you just don't know people from the 26 counties find that term offensive as it is the Irish Republic.
Why? You were originally the Irish Free State. It is a term spoken out of envy in this part of the world.

It comes across as a clear denial of the correct status of the Irish State as a Republic. It comes across as a bitter comment on the people of the Republic, who are 100% Irish (as you) and who don't deserve your nasty attitude for just living their lifes. By the way we were Southern Ireland for a few weeks before being the Irish Free State, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland before that, the Kingdom of Ireland before that and the Lordship of Ireland before that. So it make us no sense to call the 26 counties anything but their official title of Ireland or Éire. If those correct terms seem partitionist or too easily confused with the island of the same names why not refer to the 26 as the acceptable name of Irish Republic or the inoffensive description of the 26 Counties. It can get a bit tiring when everything someone from the Republic says is screamed down as bigoted or partitionist, but people from the 6 counties can shout Mexican, FreeStater, WestBrits etc. and find it perfectly acceptable.
We've been through this argument countless times, when will freestaters get it through their thick heads that people in the north refer to the south as the "freestate" and the people there as "freestaters" and the easiest term to use, it's not said with bitterness or anything else. Could you engage your brain for a minute to get that through?
You want people to call the 26 counties Ireland or Eire? What does that make the 6 counties? If someone says Ireland or Eire to me I assume they're talking about 32 counties. 
I will not call the 26 counties the Irish Republic either, people have died for hundreds of years for a 32 county Irish Republic, the only time I feel comforable referring to an Irish Republic is when it's a 32 county Irish republic. 
I suggest you don't be so sensitive. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Hardy

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Hardy on March 30, 2011, 12:56:22 PM
So it IS a term of disrespect.
Where do you get that from?

btw if there wasn't a rule against personal abuse being called a "freestater" would be the least of MGHU worries. 

Hardy

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 30, 2011, 12:58:34 PM

From the fact that you refuse to call the state "the republic" because you don't respect its claim to be a republic.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Hardy on March 30, 2011, 01:01:48 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 30, 2011, 12:58:34 PM

From the fact that you refuse to call the state "the republic" because you don't respect its claim to be a republic.
It's not that I don't respect it's claim to call itself a republic, do so if you want but I won't feel comfortable doing so until it's a 32 county republic.

saffron sam2

Quote from: gallsman on March 30, 2011, 11:54:13 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 30, 2011, 10:58:49 AM
Quote from: gallsman on March 30, 2011, 10:16:57 AM
Another fella, who I was quite friendly with, went to Queen's to study Aeronautical Engineering. Always fascinated by planes, particularly fighter jets, he buggered off to join the RAF and is now a few flying hours away from full qualification. Entitled to dual citizenship like anyone born in the north, I no longer consider him Irish and certainly not a friend.

A guy who is working in an area that he was always passionate about. Can't see an issue personally. He's still as Irish as you and clearly better off without the friendship.

How very noble of you. Fortunately, what I "consider" is my own personal opinion, so yours is of no concern to me in the slightest.

You post something on a discussion board, yet when someone replies to that you are totally unconcerned; unconcerned enough to reply to said reply.

How wonderfully absurd.

I bet you have a beard.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Rav67

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 30, 2011, 12:55:21 PM
Or maybe you just don't know people from the 26 counties find that term offensive as it is the Irish Republic.
Why? You were originally the Irish Free State. It is a term spoken out of envy in this part of the world.

It comes across as a clear denial of the correct status of the Irish State as a Republic. It comes across as a bitter comment on the people of the Republic, who are 100% Irish (as you) and who don't deserve your nasty attitude for just living their lifes. By the way we were Southern Ireland for a few weeks before being the Irish Free State, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland before that, the Kingdom of Ireland before that and the Lordship of Ireland before that. So it make us no sense to call the 26 counties anything but their official title of Ireland or Éire. If those correct terms seem partitionist or too easily confused with the island of the same names why not refer to the 26 as the acceptable name of Irish Republic or the inoffensive description of the 26 Counties. It can get a bit tiring when everything someone from the Republic says is screamed down as bigoted or partitionist, but people from the 6 counties can shout Mexican, FreeStater, WestBrits etc. and find it perfectly acceptable.
We've been through this argument countless times, when will freestaters get it through their thick heads that people in the north refer to the south as the "freestate" and the people there as "freestaters" and the easiest term to use, it's not said with bitterness or anything else. Could you engage your brain for a minute to get that through?
You want people to call the 26 counties Ireland or Eire? What does that make the 6 counties? If someone says Ireland or Eire to me I assume they're talking about 32 counties. 
I will not call the 26 counties the Irish Republic either, people have died for hundreds of years for a 32 county Irish Republic, the only time I feel comforable referring to an Irish Republic is when it's a 32 county Irish republic. 

"Freestater" is certainly a perjorative term.  You only have to say it once to any southerner to see how it pisses them off.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Rav67 on March 30, 2011, 01:35:51 PM

"Freestater" is certainly a perjorative term and everyone knows it.  You only have to say it once to any southerner to see how it pisses them off, so you are being disingenuous here.
It pisses some of them off because they perceive it to be something it's not.
How would you refer to someone from the 26 counties? What would you call them?

As for being disingenuous - if I used it as a term of abuse I would say so.  Is there anything to make you think I'd have any problem with that?

Hardy

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 30, 2011, 01:42:10 PM

"Freestater" is certainly a perjorative term and everyone knows it.  You only have to say it once to any southerner to see how it pisses them off, so you are being disingenuous here.

As for being disingenuous - if I used it as a term of abuse I would say so.  Is there anything to make you think I'd have any problem with that?

OK - you didn't think it was insulting. But you know now it is insulting to large numbers of people. I assume you wouldn't want to disrespect them and therefore you'll stop using it.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Hardy on March 30, 2011, 01:54:32 PM

OK - you didn't think it was insulting. But you know now it is insulting to large numbers of people. I assume you wouldn't want to disrespect them and therefore you'll stop using it.
No, I suggest those that get insulted by it realise that there is generally no deep dark motives behind the use of the word and get on with their lives. 
What would you prefer to be referred to as?

Applesisapples

Sorry where was I nasty? No where did I deny anybody's right to be Irish or enfer that people from The Republic aren't. All I stated was that when Northerners refer to it as the Free State is out of envy of your ability to control your own affairs.

Unlike some of my fellow Nordies (now I wonder should we take issue over the us of this terminology?) I don't deny the 26 counties the right to refer to itself as a Republic...I don't see how that precludes the 6 from joining up to make a 32 County Republic. although given the way things are going I would suggest that should Ireland be Re-united it will probably be as a Federal State.

Hardy

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 30, 2011, 01:57:52 PM

No, I suggest those that get insulted by it realise that there is generally no deep dark motives behind the use of the word and get on with their lives. 

No? Fine. Your protestations of not intending to insult are pretty hollow, then. People have told you the term is offensive. You think it's OK to decide for yourself it's not and continue to insult them, knowing they find it offensive and why.

Try it with the "n" word and tell me the difference, should you decide for your own part that you don't mean it as offensive. Would you walk into a Harlem bar and say "hi n*****s"?

(I don't care what you refer to me as).

Applesisapples

Quote from: Hardy on March 30, 2011, 02:02:13 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 30, 2011, 01:57:52 PM

No? Fine. Your protestations of not intending to insult are pretty hollow, then. People have told you the term is offensive. You think it's OK to decide for yourself it's not and continue to insult them, knowing they find it offensive and why.

Try it with the "n" word and tell me the difference, should you decide for your own part that you don't mean it as offensive. Would you walk into a Harlem bar and say "hi n*****s"?

(I don't care what you refer to me as).
I actually don't mind being a Nordie as long as it includes Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal, oh and North Louth. :D

AbbeySider

Nordies saying the southerners are "Free-staters" is (for some people) the same as the Southerners calling people in the north "Brits".

From now on, im calling all the "nordies" on the board either "Brits", "Britons", "Anglo-Saxon" or "ye English"

After all its just a term isnt it ye shower of Brits? 

Tubberman

So you prefer to use the term Freestater because you refuse to recognise that the state is actually a Republic? I don't think it's being overly-sensitive to find that insulting and also more than a bit irrational.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."