Nelson McCausland - "an abuse of power"

Started by ziggysego, March 25, 2011, 07:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: ziggysego on March 27, 2011, 12:33:23 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 27, 2011, 12:00:29 PM
Not that I wish to be seen to be defending McCausland but is there really anything that outlandish about what he has said here?

Well considering it's Israel, yes.

Plus, he's always poking his nose in, in matters which go beyond his remit.

IMO he didn't go far enough, should have banned the anti-Israel mob and only allowed pro-Israel speakers.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ziggysego on March 27, 2011, 12:33:23 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 27, 2011, 12:00:29 PM
Not that I wish to be seen to be defending McCausland but is there really anything that outlandish about what he has said here?

Well considering it's Israel, yes.

Plus, he's always poking his nose in, in matters which go beyond his remit.
I would have preferred the use of "into" instead of "in, in".

Harold Disgracey

Our club applied for this grant, we didn't make it to the shortlist. What sporting code do this lot participate in? Maybe we should have got Davy Jones to fill the form in for us.

Additional funding of £8million has been allocated to a sports programme aimed at under represented groups and clubs/organisations not previously funded by Sport Northern Ireland.
~ Wednesday, 23 March 2011

The Sport Matters Community Capital Programme caters for projects in both rural and urban settings, potentially but not exclusively based at community halls, that would have the potential to provide sports and cultural activities.

Sports Minister Nelson McCausland today visited Burnside Orange Hall, Antrim, to view plans they have for converting a grass pitch to a 3G pitch, with floodlighting and changing facilities. This community group is one of 12 organisations who have reached the next application stage of the first tranche of this programme which is worth £2.5million.

The Minister said: "This programme is an important boost to sport in Northern Ireland, as it provides facilities for a wide range of sports, enabling thousands of people from right across the community in Northern Ireland to participate in sport and physical recreation.

"Facilities developed as a result of this programme across Northern Ireland, such as those planned at Burnside Orange Hall by the Burnside Ulster-Scots Society and Kilcluney LOL 132, will be open to all of the community and any sport or sporting code. I welcome the fact that for the first time we have successful applications for development of sporting facilities from organisations based out of Orange Halls adding to the vital role these halls play in the life of the local community.

"With the principle of these facilities being available to the whole community of whatever sporting code firmly enshrined in this programme, I am particularly encouraged that some GAA clubs have applied and accepted these principles. This demonstrates a change in the mindset of these GAA clubs where historically their facilities were only available for Gaelic Sports now the entire community can enjoy the facilities for their sport of choice. This is a welcome move, one which will contribute to greater community cohesion and towards a shared future in Northern Ireland."

The Minister added: "The Northern Ireland Executive recognises how important this programme is and has allocated it an additional £8million over the next four years. I believe that the impact of this funding will be significant in several ways. Areas which historically have low uptake on such schemes, including areas of high social need and rural deprivation, have attracted priority and this will have a positive effect on promoting healthy lifestyles among our young people with a long term impact on the health of the Northern Ireland population."

The maximum grant award under the programme is £250,000 with a small funding contribution required from the successful applicants. Further phases of the programme will be announced in due course.

Notes to editors:

Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure Press Office. Tel (023) 9051 5047 or email communications@dcalni.gov.uk Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.

Orior

How about a Freedom of Information request to find our how you failed to make the shortlist?

Alternatively, have your pensioners form a lawn bowling club and ask for a sporting grant for a full size football pitch. Them pensioners will get up to anything.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians