six county elections 05/05/2011

Started by rossie mad, March 23, 2011, 10:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

For anyone looking for an insight into the election look at the first two pages of this thread.

Zero mention of economic or social issues.
Complete Analysis of which way the "them-uns"/"us-uns" headcount will go.

Expect four more years of bullshit and whataboutery.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Rois

My vote will be up for grabs this time, and it'll be driven by economic agendas.  I want to see some innovative ideas about driving growth and reducing spending.  Even if the ideas are outlandish, it will show whether there is someone in the respective parties who has a small bit of a clue as to how we're going to create new jobs here.

The sad thing is, with a particularly "Irish" name on the electoral voting register, I fear that as last time, none of the North Belfast Unionist candidates will come near my door to try to win the vote.   But I live in hope!

Sandino

Crazy  stuff on  the Nolan show this morning. The UUP in meltdown live on air. Tom will do some job to repair this out fall.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Banana Man

Quote from: Sandino on March 24, 2011, 10:42:43 AM
Crazy  stuff on  the Nolan show this morning. The UUP in meltdown live on air. Tom will do some job to repair this out fall.

why what happened?

glens abu

Quote from: Rois on March 24, 2011, 10:41:09 AM
My vote will be up for grabs this time, and it'll be driven by economic agendas.  I want to see some innovative ideas about driving growth and reducing spending.  Even if the ideas are outlandish, it will show whether there is someone in the respective parties who has a small bit of a clue as to how we're going to create new jobs here.

The sad thing is, with a particularly "Irish" name on the electoral voting register, I fear that as last time, none of the North Belfast Unionist candidates will come near my door to try to win the vote.   But I live in hope!

What part of N Belfast are you living Rois?

hsthompson

Quote from: Ulick on March 23, 2011, 09:15:12 PM
Quote from: hsthompson on March 23, 2011, 08:53:29 PM
Where was Jude Collins saying that? I see he has started a column in the BMG papers

On his Blog http://judecollinsjournalist.blogspot.com/2011/02/will-february-matter-in-may.html

He's fairly prolific, usually something new up every day or two. What's BMG papers btw?

Belfast Media Group - North Belfast News, South Belfast News and Andytown News

Sandino

BM only caught the end of it as I can't stand Nolan. It was about who would be the first Minister. Mc Narry had a major go at Mc Crea and McAllister. Chat of backstabbing and undermining the leader of the party. I think swear words may also have been used. Major split.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Banana Man

Quote from: Sandino on March 24, 2011, 10:59:27 AM
BM only caught the end of it as I can't stand Nolan. It was about who would be the first Minister. Mc Narry had a major go at Mc Crea and McAllister. Chat of backstabbing and undermining the leader of the party. I think swear words may also have been used. Major split.

ditto on nolan

that McNarry strikes me as an absolute loose cannon, i actually think McCrea is a sound politican any time i have heard him talk

hsthompson

Quote from: Banana Man on March 24, 2011, 11:23:34 AM

ditto on nolan

that McNarry strikes me as an absolute loose cannon, i actually think McCrea is a sound politican any time i have heard him talk

Aye I'd agree re: Basil McCrea, he seems a reasonable man and progressive enough for a unionist, met him a few times as well and he has a personality which is more than what i can say for most politicians I've come across

rossie mad

Tags News Business Financial NI may be given company tax option
Updated: 07:13, Thursday, 24 March 2011

Proposals to overhaul corporation tax in Northern Ireland will be announced today.

1 of 1  George Osborne - Paper to look at NI tax Related Stories
NI retail giants face rates rise
Proposals to overhaul corporation tax in Northern Ireland will be announced today.

UK Treasury officials and senior figures from the Northern Ireland Executive are expected to attend a function for the announcement of a consultation document giving the Assembly the power to vary the rate levied on businesses.

British Chancellor George Osborne yesterday told the House of Commons the paper considers the case for Northern Ireland's having a lower rate of corporation tax than the rest of the UK.

Companies in the North have to compete with those in the Republic, where there is a lower rate of 12.5%.

One option in the consultation document was expected to be handing the Assembly the power to set its own rate of corporation tax.

There are some concerns in the North that any reduction would be paid for in a cut in the grant from London.

Good news for ecomonic development in the north if it gets the thumbs up.
Might not be of great advantage to the republic though.

Rois

Quote from: glens abu on March 24, 2011, 10:50:00 AM

What part of N Belfast are you living Rois?

Somewhere where there are no flags - a development in Fortwilliam that shouldn't intimidate any hue of politician, although judging by school uniforms, GAA jersies and the neighbours I know, it would seem like it has a higher proportion of traditional Alban/Gerry voters than Nigel voters. 

I'll be listening to anyone who talks to me, even the most unlikely of candidates.

ziggysego

Quote from: hsthompson on March 24, 2011, 11:29:55 AM
Quote from: Banana Man on March 24, 2011, 11:23:34 AM

ditto on nolan

Aye I'd agree re: Basil McCrea, he seems a reasonable man and progressive enough for a unionist, met him a few times as well and he has a personality which is more than what i can say for most politicians I've come across

I once sent Basil a message on Twitter, saying that he and Barry McElduff would make a lovely couple. Basil replied later that day, saying that he would be too high maintence for a man like Barry.
Testing Accessibility

Bogball XV

Quote from: Rois on March 24, 2011, 10:41:09 AM

But would you actually vote DUP/TUV/UUP if they did have some decent ideas?  I think it'd be very difficult to actually give them a first preference vote whilst they retain those names?  Personally, I don't think I could. 

Ulick

I've got a decent idea for the DUP/TUV/UUP in north Belfast - drop your objections and allow someone to provide some of the 1300 houses that are needed there. We'll even give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your objections have nothing to do with Catholics accounting for 95% of the demand.

Rois

Quote from: Bogball XV on March 24, 2011, 02:25:28 PM

But would you actually vote DUP/TUV/UUP if they did have some decent ideas?  I think it'd be very difficult to actually give them a first preference vote whilst they retain those names?  Personally, I don't think I could.

That's my personal challenge and I'm not saying it'll be easy.  But I'm going to try to give whoever wants one a fair crack.  I think we have more immediate problems to solve than the high level green versus orange issue and voting for a unionist party will not change how Irish I feel.  I will reserve the right to not vote for any party who has anti-Catholic, anti-Irish or anti-GAA policies.  But if they are silent on those issues, that's fine.   

Having heard the TUV leader being questioned on non-sectarian issues on TV and radio during Westminster campaigning, I don't believe I'll have a problem ruling them out.