Software Development/Engineering Thread

Started by AbbeySider, December 22, 2010, 10:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Christ a grad  :-[

This a job for vendor/consultant who either implements their own solution or someone else's; and obviously a track record of doing it. You agree a fixed price implementation/support/managed service and move on.

You will hemorrhage cash trying to implement a bespoke solution and its a waste employing someone to learn on the job. I suspect this is because you believe it would be cheaper to do yourself but that never works out to be the case. I'd save yourself the headache.

cornerback

Its definitely not an off-the-shelf product - before my time they tried that route & it was a complete waste of time & money.

I've also contacted software companies that work in our industry but they are no use!! They just want to sell us their products - we would need major modifications that they aren't prepared to do - so in that sense we need bespoke software. 

The friends I have talked to would also be of the opinion that we need bespoke... where their opinions differ is one says definitely employ someone & the other isn't sure either way - employ or outsource.

Would a fixed term contract be an option & then outsource the upkeep/maintenance/updating?

AZOffaly

That would be an option, yes. But make sure the requirements are crystal clear, and if possible get a fixed price.