Charity Fundraising 'Rip-off'?

Started by 6Sams, October 16, 2010, 12:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6Sams

I've just found out about a recent 'charity' fundraiser organised by the Southern Area Hospice in Newry. The jist is that participants have to fundraise say £2.500, something like £1,500 goes to the charity and the rest goes to provide the participants with what is by and large a a free holiday paid for by those who donated to their fundraising activities. Does anyone else believe this is a disgraceful situation and should be stopped

Boycey

Quote from: 6Sams on October 16, 2010, 12:51:26 PM
I've just found out about a recent 'charity' fundraiser organised by the Southern Area Hospice in Newry. The jist is that participants have to fundraise say £2.500, something like £1,500 goes to the charity and the rest goes to provide the participants with what is by and large a a free holiday paid for by those who donated to their fundraising activities. Does anyone else believe this is a disgraceful situation and should be stopped

Depends on what you mean by "by and large a free holiday". care to elaborate.

6Sams

I thought it was pretty clear, you fundraise £2.500, charity gets half and the other half pays for your holiday

Minder

I had a fella round the door fundraising for Trocaire, he said 100% of what they raise goes to help the needy. Is that correct?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Boycey

Quote from: 6Sams on October 16, 2010, 01:02:17 PM
I thought it was pretty clear, you fundraise £2.500, charity gets half and the other half pays for your holiday

When you said by and large I thought there was more to it, apologies if I took you up wrong. I thought these things were usually in the form of a sponsored walk, cycle or running a marathon abroad which is fair enough by me but if its to just lounge around a hotel swimming pool thats different.

Zapatista

Quote from: Minder on October 16, 2010, 01:12:40 PM
I had a fella round the door fundraising for Trocaire, he said 100% of what they raise goes to help the needy. Is that correct?

Apart from admin costs, You were probably approached by a volunteer but they do have a few full time employees and offices in Dublin and Maynooth. I think their admin costs are kept to a minimum compared to some other well known charities.

6Sams

Quote from: Boycey on October 16, 2010, 01:17:02 PM

When you said by and large I thought there was more to it, apologies if I took you up wrong. I thought these things were usually in the form of a sponsored walk, cycle or running a marathon abroad which is fair enough by me but if its to just lounge around a hotel swimming pool thats different.

But even if it is for cycling, or in this case riding horses on a ranch, is it right that those donating should be paying for this indulgence

Zapatista

Quote from: 6Sams on October 16, 2010, 12:51:26 PM

Is that not an incentive to have people raise money?

I attended a fundraiser last night. It was a pub quiz and there was music and it only cost 5euro. Does that not ammount to the same thing as I probably wouldn't have parted with me fiver without something in return like a Pub Quiz and some music?

Boycey

Quote from: 6Sams on October 16, 2010, 01:31:55 PM
Quote from: Boycey on October 16, 2010, 01:17:02 PM

But even if it is for cycling, or in this case riding horses on a ranch, is it right that those donating should be paying for this indulgence

So there is more to it. As Zapatista says its all to do with incentive, you do a sponsored cycle say in this country you will get it hard to sell it to people and possibly not be as motivated yourself. You do one somewhere exotic (friends of mine did one in Cambodia recently). You raise 5k, the associated costs are say 1.5k and the charity gets 3.5k. I wouldn't begrudge it to the people that are taking part to be honest. I know that my friends put many months of effort into raising the cash.

Minder

Quote from: Zapatista on October 16, 2010, 01:26:54 PM
Quote from: Minder on October 16, 2010, 01:12:40 PM

Apart from admin costs, You were probably approached by a volunteer but they do have a few full time employees and offices in Dublin and Maynooth. I think their admin costs are kept to a minimum compared to some other well known charities.

No he said he was paid fr his work, which is fair enough when they are upfront about it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Zapatista

Quote from: Minder on October 16, 2010, 02:16:26 PM
No he said he was paid fr his work, which is fair enough when they are upfront about it.

If he is paid for it then it's clearly 100% of it does not go to the needy unless he is the needy.

mc_grens

Dont see how this is any different from someone who raises a couple of grand for charity by doing say... a parachute jump. Some money from the donations pays for the jump, the rest goes to charity.

Most charity events work this way.

Its a far cry from the pricks in the street waving Concern badges and holding clipboards trying to make you feel guilty while they earn €10+ per hour!

6Sams

Quote from: mc_grens on October 16, 2010, 02:33:54 PM
Dont see how this is any different from someone who raises a couple of grand for charity by doing say... a parachute jump. Some money from the donations pays for the jump, the rest goes to charity.

Its a far cry from the pricks in the street waving Concern badges and holding clipboards trying to make you feel guilty while they earn €10+ per hour!

I don't agree. If you want to do a parachute jump then do one and pay for it yourself. I want to go out and have 10 pints tonight so would it be ok for me to do a collection for a charity today and then take out the price of my beer and give the charity the net amount?.

Boycey

Quote from: 6Sams on October 16, 2010, 03:47:29 PM

I don't agree. If you want to do a parachute jump then do one and pay for it yourself. I want to go out and have 10 pints tonight so would it be ok for me to do a collection for a charity today and then take out the price of my beer and give the charity the net amount?.

Sounds to me like you have a personal gripe with someone/something here. For what its worth I disagree with you.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: 6Sams on October 16, 2010, 03:47:29 PM

If people were sponsoring you to drink ten pints, yeah. 

I'm amazed you "just found out" that's the way these events work.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?