The Official Ryder Cup Thread,Celtic Manor Wales 2010

Started by The Real Laoislad, August 22, 2010, 11:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

The sporting event of the year is almost upon us.

With Peter Hanson moving into automatic qualification today it leaves Monty with some serious decisions to make for his wildcard entry's.
With only one qualifying event left..next week at Gleneagles...and with the likes of Casey,Donald and Harrington not playing in it and all outside automatic qualification it will be interesting to see who Monty goes for.

Personally I would leave Harrington out.
What is for sure,some big name isn't gonna be happy when Monty makes his picks

You'll Never Walk Alone.

gawa316

Who are the players currently outside automatic qualification?

Casey, Donald, Harrington, Garcia (although he hasn't a chance) Clarke, those Italian boys anyone else?

AFS

Quote from: gawa316 on August 22, 2010, 11:41:18 PM

Casey, Donald, Harrington, Garcia (although he hasn't a chance) Clarke, those Italian boys anyone else?

The Molinaris. Francesco is in, Edoardo isn't.

Justin Rose is another in the mix. I'd say Clarke has no chance.

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Geoff Tipps

Would pick Edoardo Molinari based on his form in the last 12 months - won twice on challenge tour and once on European tour and a top 3 finish on PGA tour. He'd be an obvious partner for his brother in foursomes and fourball. They won the World Cup last year as well so could be a possible 4 points in the pairs alone.
In saying that I'd be shocked if he didn't pick Harrington, Casey and Rose. If one of them don't get a pick it has to be Harrington. Don't think he's won since the PGA in '08.

gawa316

Quote from: AFS on August 22, 2010, 11:54:00 PM

Justin Rose is another in the mix. I'd say Clarke has no chance.

Yeah I'd agree with you about Clarke. Tough decision then for Monty. 3 outta 5. The 5 being Rose, Donald, Casey, Harrington and Edoardo.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: AFS on August 22, 2010, 11:54:00 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on August 22, 2010, 11:41:18 PM

Good call,both have been playing very well this year and playing together for them would be great as brothers.
Garcia as I'm aware has taken 3 month break from the game so defiantly is out.
I would also pick Casey along with Molinari..so that leaves one place between Harrington,Rose,Donald and even Alvaro Quiros (sp)..
Doubt very much Clarke will get in.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tony Baloney

Choosing Clarke as V-C is a clear indication that he'll not be playing.

Louth Exile

St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

The Real Laoislad

I don't think Harrington should get a place,actually I was thinking about it and I don't think the 4 who won't play in the final qualifying tournament at Gleneagles this week should be picked,they would be messers Casey,Harrington,Rose and Donald.
Why should they get in if they aren't bothered trying to qualify automatically
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 24, 2010, 04:38:45 PM
I don't think Harrington should get a place,actually I was thinking about it and I don't think the 4 who won't play in the final qualifying tournament at Gleneagles this week should be picked,they would be messers Casey,Harrington,Rose and Donald.
Why should they get in if they aren't bothered trying to qualify automatically
They are playing for FedEx cup points in the states this week, greedy hoors!
Sam Torrance argues for Casey to be the one left out, no mention of Stenson at all.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Boycey on August 24, 2010, 05:47:21 PM
Harrington, Casey and Rose are the 3 who should and must be picked..

Harrington has had a awful two years and hasn't the greatest Ryder Cup record though.
Why should they be picked if they aren't bothered turning up for the qualifying event,if they really wanted in do you not think they should be playing in Gleneagles?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Boycey on August 24, 2010, 06:20:46 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 24, 2010, 06:07:18 PM

Harrington has had a awful two years and hasn't the greatest Ryder Cup record though.
Why should they be picked if they aren't bothered turning up for the qualifying event,if they really wanted in do you not think they should be playing in Gleneagles?

I'd say the're the best 3 players not on the team simple as that. I suppose you could argue that they should play in Gleneagles and whoever doesn't get picked will have no cause for complaint.

Even everything being fair and everyone done their bit to qualify by entering the tournaments on the European tour I still wouldn't pick Harrington.
I would go for Casey,Molinari and Rose.
I'd say though you are right with your picks.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

Quote from: Boycey on August 24, 2010, 06:20:46 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 24, 2010, 06:07:18 PM

I'd say the're the best 3 players not on the team simple as that. I suppose you could argue that they should play in Gleneagles and whoever doesn't get picked will have no cause for complaint.

3 biggest names. 3 best players.

Not the three players who are playing the best golf currently.