Get ready to wave them flegs - Lily Windsor's coming

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, June 23, 2010, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Isn't it about time you showed some maturity as a country and see it for what it is a visit from the head of state of another country. You don't have the french/dutch etc getting into a tizzy when the germans come calling.
The Germans own up to their history and most are ashamed of it. When the Brits do the same the queen is welcome.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 24, 2010, 10:07:28 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 24, 2010, 12:33:30 AM
At what stage of the visit will she be offering an apology for what her armed forces have done in Ireland?

She can't do that because if she starts with 1798, goes on to the Black & Tans, Bloody Sunday and ends up with the present day she would be here for weeks apologising.

BTW Seafoid, we used to be called Queens County but it is no longer called that because we kicked the Brit's out of it.  Maybe she might go down to the Royal County and have a barbeque under the Wellington Monument in Trim.

She could start apologising for their crimes while she was Commander-in-Chief.  I would have thought it would be more appropriate for her to apologise for bloody sunday rather than a man that was only about 3 when it happened.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Aerlik

Arguably more Irish have been murdered by England's unjustified annexing of our nation than French by the Germans down the years.  There is a subtle difference.

Hitler and his tyrants are recognised as evil, yet the expansion of the Brit empire somehow has gained justification, especially in English school history books - if, at all, it is studied.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Banana Man

Delboy I have a question, you say she is head of another state, btw she is also the head of a church i.e. the church of England, if you follow me here so is the Pope, head of state of the Vatican and head of the Catholic Church so what about all the hysterics over the Pope coming to visit the North of Ireland......

thebigfella

Quote from: Banana Man on June 24, 2010, 11:25:45 AM
Delboy I have a question, you say she is head of another state, btw she is also the head of a church i.e. the church of England, if you follow me here so is the Pope, head of state of the Vatican and head of the Catholic Church so what about all the hysterics over the Pope coming to visit the North of Ireland......

I think it's already been pointed out it's nonsense (in this thread and a few others if I can remember rightly) and if Lizzie comes to Ireland the Unionist/Loyallist/Religious Fundamentalists etc... arguments are all negated  ::)

I actually couldn't give a fcuk if either of them come tbh and it won't make 1 bit of difference to my life either way. I think alot of you are going out of your way to try and be offended.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Zapatista on June 23, 2010, 11:35:12 PM
Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on June 23, 2010, 06:57:58 PM

Mr Cowen said there was now no obstacle to the British Queen coming to Ireland.

Cowen and co make me sick. I actually feel sick when I hear comments like this. Maybe someone could tell me what has changed? What obstacles have been removed to allow this?

I guess he sees the full implementation of the Good Friday agreement, voted for by the people of Ireland and formally accepted by both states as putting the relationship between between both states on a normal basis.

I know that not all people (even those that voted for it) see it as such but there you go............

/Jim.

longrunsthefox

She will visit and life will go on. While I don't agree as I didn't with God Save the Queen being played in Croke Park it will be hailed in the press as bridge building etc. So be it, I wouldn't get too worked up about it either. It should not happen until Britain withdraws from the North but not much word of that aspiration now either.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: longrunsthefox on June 24, 2010, 12:12:26 PM
She will visit and life will go on. While I don't agree as I didn't with God Save the Queen being played in Croke Park it will be hailed in the press as bridge building etc. So be it, I wouldn't get too worked up about it either. It should not happen until Britain withdraws from the North but not much word of that aspiration now either.

:o I agree with LRTF on something, I need to lie down.

delboy

Quote from: Banana Man on June 24, 2010, 11:25:45 AM

Personally I don't give a flying f**k where the pope goes as far as im concerned hes welcome to come and go as he pleases end of. Unlike some of the knuckle heads on here i wouldn't dream of protesting and demanding apologies for past atrocities carried out in the name of the papacy, i'd see him for what his is the current head of a religion not somebody that should be held to account or apologise for burning protestants at the stake in the past.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Zapatista on June 24, 2010, 11:04:36 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on June 24, 2010, 11:03:32 AM
QuoteThere is a clear hierarchy of victims in Ireland and it's shamefull.

What is this hierarchy, in your view?

Victims of church abuse and victims of state violence.

I'm unclear, are you saying these are the only types of victims in Ireland?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rav67

Quote from: Alco Pup on June 24, 2010, 09:04:50 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 24, 2010, 08:57:09 AM
That's right fellas, let's get ourselves in a tizzy about the visit of a head of state from our closest neighbour and strongest trade partner.

Some of you people would be happy to live in caves as long as it doesn't mean getting over the past.

Can we take it then that you will be one of the first in line waving a union jack and welcoming her then?

Yes, anyone who doesn't get worked up into an emotional frenzy by Lizzie's visit must be a true blue brit and will be out to welcome her  :D

The knuckle draggers on here should grow up and stop stop trying to get offended at everything.  Hardly a big deal when British mnisters, PMs etc regularly visit.  I'll be ignoring the visit like most people.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Zapatista on June 24, 2010, 01:21:54 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on June 24, 2010, 01:17:21 PM

I'm unclear, are you saying these are the only types of victims in Ireland?

No that's not what i'm saying. I think it's quite clear what I am. If you don't understand it then I have failed but i'm not going to chase my tail explaining it to you.

Do you have anything to say on the content of my posts or are you just going to put words in my mouth and then ask for clarity on those words?

The existence of a hierarchy of victims is far from clear to me - that's why I asked you about it.  Your own views are very clear to me; so don't be worrying about your failure on that part.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

thebigfella

I hope prince Phillip comes because he will at least make an effort at trying to offend a few people.

delboy

Quote from: Zapatista on June 24, 2010, 01:17:42 PM
Quote from: delboy on June 24, 2010, 12:51:09 PM

Personally I don't give a flying f**k where the pope goes as far as im concerned hes welcome to come and go as he pleases end of. Unlike some of the knuckle heads on here i wouldn't dream of protesting and demanding apologies for past atrocities carried out in the name of the papacy, i'd see him for what his is the current head of a religion not somebody that should be held to account or apologise for burning protestants at the stake in the past.

The head guy in BP didn't puch a hole in the side of an oil carrier. Do you think he doesn't hold any responibility?

Whats your point, you do think the pope should be held accountable or what  ???

muppet

Quote from: Zapatista on June 24, 2010, 11:49:56 AM
This is along the same lines as Blair inviting Gadaffi to come to London before any apology.

Would the people asking me and others to grow up and move on ask the same of the lockerbie victims? When those victims were asking for an apology (and composation) did certain posters here ask them to grow up and move on?

Brian Cowen makes me sick!

Gadaffi ordered the Lockerbie attack.

Lizzy & Phil haven't the authority to order more than a gin and tonic.

Elderly woman, token head of a collapsed increasingly irrelevant empire, comes to town. That should be the title of this thread.

Thatcher and Heath etc are the ones who have questions to answer and apologies to make. As usual we are world champions of missing the point.
MWWSI 2017