Barcelona - things to see and do?

Started by GalwayBayBoy, February 12, 2007, 10:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Johnson

Gallsman thanks for that, some great advice in there! Will let ya know how we got on next week at some stage!

Yeah I have been checking the weather regularly and see it's due to rain on Saturday, great!

gallsman

Few other pointers given that it's a stag - Bacoa is a chain with quite a few locations that does really good burgers. If you head up towards the Sagrada Familia there's a really good, cheap Mexican place called El Gato de Oro that's class.

If you're looking for something to help you recover on the Sunday both Flaherty's and Dunne's do a good fry but in general avoid the Irish bars.

Don Johnson

Yeah was thinking avoid them. Know a couple board members who were on a stag last weekend there and spent the whole time in Irish bars, they will know who they are when they read this I won't shame them.

Ireland play Turkey though the Friday when we arrive 6.30pm Spanish time, don't suppose anywhere would be showing it? Best chance would be one of the aforementioned bars? I wouldn't be overly worried if we miss it though to be fair.

gallsman

Any Irish bar will have it on if you decide to watch it

Over the Bar

gallsman

Don Johnson

Great weekend's craic but still recovering this morning. Haven't slept right since yet up each night with the horrors!

We just went against all of our plans and did the typical Irish lads on a stag craic.

Landed on the Friday then headed down to the port. Think we went to some chicken restaurant for some food. We were due to meet some 'party host' fella for a free bar thing at the port but to be honest at that stage we didn't need it. On to Carpe Diem until they stopped serving us drink then into another few places and ended up in Opium. Back to the hotel then around 6.30am.

Few of the ones that were back earlier got up the Saturday went and did a beer run. So we started drinking very early. Despite what we said about staying away from Irish bars or the Ramblas, we somehow ended up in Flahertys from midday on the Saturday. Ended up there all day. It was good craic to be fair and they kept plying us with free shots. Ran around in the rain trying to get a taxi back to the hotel to get changed at 9pm, think I've for the cold from this. Once I got back to the hotel I just went to bed to warm up and ended up sleeping through to the morning.

Most of the group went to some karaoke bar then for a few hours then back down to the port to around 5/6. The flight home on Sunday was a bit grim for them.

About 6/7 of the 20 either lost their wallet, phone or both. Thankfully I made it back with all my belongings intact.

Few beers at the airport then the plane, then one back in town and that was me done, home and in bed at 7pm on Sunday.

TabClear

Quote from: Don Johnson on March 28, 2018, 09:25:58 AM
Great weekend's craic but still recovering this morning. Haven't slept right since yet up each night with the horrors!

We just went against all of our plans and did the typical Irish lads on a stag craic.

Landed on the Friday then headed down to the port. Think we went to some chicken restaurant for some food. We were due to meet some 'party host' fella for a free bar thing at the port but to be honest at that stage we didn't need it. On to Carpe Diem until they stopped serving us drink then into another few places and ended up in Opium. Back to the hotel then around 6.30am.

Few of the ones that were back earlier got up the Saturday went and did a beer run. So we started drinking very early. Despite what we said about staying away from Irish bars or the Ramblas, we somehow ended up in Flahertys from midday on the Saturday. Ended up there all day. It was good craic to be fair and they kept plying us with free shots. Ran around in the rain trying to get a taxi back to the hotel to get changed at 9pm, think I've for the cold from this. Once I got back to the hotel I just went to bed to warm up and ended up sleeping through to the morning.

Most of the group went to some karaoke bar then for a few hours then back down to the port to around 5/6. The flight home on Sunday was a bit grim for them.

About 6/7 of the 20 either lost their wallet, phone or both. Thankfully I made it back with all my belongings intact.

Few beers at the airport then the plane, then one back in town and that was me done, home and in bed at 7pm on Sunday.

That's a pretty big proportion! Barcelona living up to its reputation.

Fair play to the lads that did 6am both nights, I would have to be carried to the airport if i tried that now! Was it expensive for drink/food DJ? (assuming you came home with the wallet!  ;))

Tony Baloney

LOL, good man Don. I'd need the week off work after that!

gallsman

Sounds like absolute hell on earth but good you enjoyed it! In fairness, with that rain on Saturday there wasn't much else could be done.

Kickham csc

Quote from: gallsman on March 28, 2018, 10:50:31 AM
Sounds like absolute hell on earth but good you enjoyed it! In fairness, with that rain on Saturday there wasn't much else could be done.

Take time to ramble in the Jewish Quarter, with no time pressure. And stop in the small cafes for a glass of wine and tapas.

I did this with the wife, and it turned into a bit of a cultural wine and tapas crawl, really fun way to see this part of the city