RUC - the criminals in Robert Hamill case

Started by longrunsthefox, March 12, 2010, 01:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Hopefully now the Hamill family can get at least some bit of justice as the killers have long walked free with the help of the police.
Reminds me of what Gerry Conlon of the Guildford 4 once said about police investigating their false convictions by...  the police.
"It is akin to the mafia investigating criminal activity"...

Robert Hamill inquiry urges PPS to review decision

An inquiry into the murder of Robert Hamill has urged the Public Prosecution Service to reconsider a decision not to prosecute a retired RUC officer.

Robert Atkinson was one of four RUC officers accused of standing by as Mr Hamill was assaulted by a loyalist mob in Portadown in April 1997.

The recommendation is made in an interim report published by the inquiry.

Mr Hamill suffered severe injuries in the assault and died 11 days later.

The inquiry has published its interim report at the invitation of the Northern Ireland Secretary of State.

It hopes to complete the final report within the next 12 months.

The PPS has said it will review the decision as to prosecution made in respect of Mr Atkinson, as recommended by the inquiry in its interim report.

It said it had enquired, through the office of the Attorney General, whether there is further information which the inquiry can provide which will help inform that review.

SDLP MLA Dolores Kelly has welcomed the recommendation in the inquiry's report.

Trevor Hill

Other headlines today. Bear defecates in woods and Pope finally admits to being Catholic.

orangeman

Quote from: Trevor Hill on March 12, 2010, 01:02:37 PM
Other headlines today. Bear defecates in woods and Pope finally admits to being Catholic.

:D

Good stuff.

Nothing we didn't already know about this shower.

longrunsthefox

Absolutely-needs to be highlighted every time though.

Hardy

I gather that the case the PPS decided not to prosecute originally was the allegation that this RUC man had contacted one of the suspects and advised him to get rid of clothing, etc. (i.e. he wasn't being prosecuted for failure to intervene in the assault). This is the decision that the inquiry is asking the PPS to review. It doesn't seem as if any of the cops are being pursued for failing to do their jobs.

Yes I Would

Quote from: Hardy on March 12, 2010, 02:17:30 PM
I gather that the case the PPS decided not to prosecute originally was the allegation that this RUC man had contacted one of the suspects and advised him to get rid of clothing, etc. (i.e. he wasn't being prosecuted for failure to intervene in the assault). This is the decision that the inquiry is asking the PPS to review. I doesn't seem as if any of the cops are being pursued for failing to do their jobs.

They should be so proud of themselves!!

glens abu

Quote from: Yes I Would on March 12, 2010, 02:38:22 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 12, 2010, 02:17:30 PM
I gather that the case the PPS decided not to prosecute originally was the allegation that this RUC man had contacted one of the suspects and advised him to get rid of clothing, etc. (i.e. he wasn't being prosecuted for failure to intervene in the assault). This is the decision that the inquiry is asking the PPS to review. I doesn't seem as if any of the cops are being pursued for failing to do their jobs.

They should be so proud of themselves!!

one of the many crimes committed by that crowd but sure it was OK for political parties in both sides of the border to give them their support

longrunsthefox

Like the Stephen Lawrence case of black boy murdered in London and report said Metropolitan police were' intrincially racist,'... their brothers in the North were intrinsically sectarian. 

Main Street

The RUC reservist was charged with conspiracy to pervert (an investigation which passed for) justice,  but was not prosecuted.
Hard to have any amount of optimism that he will face any prosecution.

I wonder what kind of testimony/evidence /allegations the Rosemary Nelson inquiry is dealing with?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Jezuz lads it'll be a cold day in Hell before anybody gets justice for the murders commited by/and allowed/aided by the State forces.

Always pissing in the wind, but as lrtf says we can't forget and need to keep highlighting.
Sure it only took the Brits (if it wasn't Blair it would never have even happened) 150 years to issue an apology for the Great Famine!
Tbc....