Man found shot dead near Derry

Started by ziggysego, February 25, 2010, 01:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Ulick on February 25, 2010, 07:19:06 PM
ardmhachaabu has hit the nail on the head there (unwittingly it must be said). Who is standing in front of the cameras to explain this?
Why, I outta...  :D
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Rav67

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 25, 2010, 06:46:19 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/foyle_and_west/8535731.stm

McGuinness has some nerve, he said he is outraged at the murder!  I wonder how the family of Frank Hegarty feel about that.  I wonder if wee Marty was outraged at that murder.

That's the thing really pisses me off about Shinners, in all the years they were criticised rightfully by others they always got self righteous and defended the most awful acts in terms of how it would promote 'the cause'

Now when it is someone else pulling the trigger or detonating a bomb, the shoe is on the other foot

Hypocritical f**ks the lot of them

Like the Free Staters after 1921, like Dev after 1926...   there aren't many pacifists out there, it is always a question of whether the situation justifies violence at the time.  McGuinness doesn't think the situation justifies violence any more, and I'd agree with him.  He's entitled to condemn it.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: haranguerer on February 25, 2010, 07:20:23 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 25, 2010, 07:10:20 PM
McGuinness is starting to bug me, a hypocrite.

Is that not like saying a british soldier who killed someone in Iraq has no right to condemn a murder in his hometown?

Like it or not, the political process has essentially legitimised the IRA and what it did. Any war will have atrocities. Is Gordon Brown a hypocrite when he condemns murders, given that he oversees Britains actions in Iraq and elsewhere?

I found it very interesting that while listening to the BBC national (i.e. across the UK) news report on the bomb in Newry, the (english) correspondent drew a distinction between the dissidents and the PIRA by saying 'However, unlike the PIRA, the dissidents have little support in the community...'. An unexpected admission by the beeb, and perhaps history being rewritten before our eyes...
McGuinness is a hypocrite because he never had a problem when the PIRA were killing touts.  If he came on and condemned it and said there was no room for violence any more or whatever then fine but this "outraged" nonsense sticks in the throat.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Nally Stand

Desperate stuff. Serious increase in attacks in the last year alone:-S
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

sandwiches_in_the_boot

This whole business about the house they took half a million quid of cannabis plants out of last year in Donegal is strange. Someone mentioned that the house belonged to, or some connection to a republican who since killed himself such was his annoyance about it. Think it was Suzanne Breen. But the fella killed today was meant to be responsible for the house, maybe on behalf of the other man when the drugs were found.

Maybe they blamed him for it, or he had connections to drugs. Informer was the first thing came to mind.

Either way its savage and shouldn't happen. As for McGuinness, would you prefer he say nothing? Of course most of us have a voice in our heads when he condemns these things, thinking about his involvement in the past in similar incidents. But the OFMDFM is a joint office, both need to read from the same sheet, show unity and leadership. Their views represent the vast vast majority.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Aaron Boone

Derry Journal interview last Nov:
A Derry man has claimed that his company has been placed in jeopardy by MI5 who offered to make his business happen only if he works with them. Ciaran Doherty of Northern Lites Limited is currently trying to open premises for a cigarette manufacturing company and claims that four applications to HM Revenue and Customs have been turned down.

He said that on each occasionthey failed to outline any reasons or issue any formal notification of rejection. Mr. Doherty said he and his business partners have spent £500,000 on purchasing machinery for the plant. It is currently in storage. He believes the venture could create 350 jobs and £10-£15 million tax revenue annually.

He said that he was returning from a business trip last Tuesday evening when he was approached by MI5 as he attempted to board a flight at Luton airport.

Mr. Doherty said: "I was taken into a side room by a man calling himself 'Justin', who identified himself as MI5. He was able to tell me all about the history of my business and the troubles I've had with securing a licence for premises.

"We have applied on four separate occasions for a licence for premises - twice for Derry, one in Tyrone and one in Newry. Each time we have been rejected without reasons being given. At one meeting the Customs and Revenue representative advised us against even applying to open a site in Derry."

According to Mr Doherty, 'Justin' claimed he was seeking information on a Cypriot business contact Mr Doherty had just met for the first time.
"They told me he was the target of their investigation."

Mr Doherty said his business partner, who's also from Derry, was recently approached at Schipol airport, Amsterdam. He was asked to help security services target dissident republicans in Derry.

"This is placing my entire business in danger," said Mr. Doherty. "The deal we done on Tuesday has probably fallen through as I had to inform the Cypriot in London that MI5 were enquiring about him. I have to travel quite a bit sourcing materials - am I going to be stopped every time I do so?

"I am a legitimate businessman. I have notified HM Revenue and Customs every step of the way on this business venture - even Justin admitted that. However if I cannot get approval for premises I cannot trade, it is as simple as that."

When contacted by the Journal a spokesperson for HM Revenue and Customs said: "HMRC have requested further information in writing from (the applicant) in June and August 2009 but to date have received no reply to our request."

Mr. Doherty agreed that this was the case but argued: "We have spoken to Customs about the information they have requested. It concerns accounting systems and they agreed that this would follow at a later stage. This has only become an issue now, I think it is their get out clause. To be honest I believe the whole thing is a set-up in order to try and recruit informers," he claimed.

http://www.derryjournal.com/journal/39My-business-has-stalled-because.5790200.jp

sandwiches_in_the_boot

QuoteMr. Doherty said he and his business partners have spent £500,000 on purchasing machinery for the plant. It is currently in storage. He believes the venture could create 350 jobs and £10-£15 million tax revenue annually.

No harm, but Republicans.... fags.... tax revenue  :-X
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Rav67 on February 25, 2010, 07:23:01 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 25, 2010, 06:46:19 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/foyle_and_west/8535731.stm

McGuinness has some nerve, he said he is outraged at the murder!  I wonder how the family of Frank Hegarty feel about that.  I wonder if wee Marty was outraged at that murder.

That's the thing really pisses me off about Shinners, in all the years they were criticised rightfully by others they always got self righteous and defended the most awful acts in terms of how it would promote 'the cause'

Now when it is someone else pulling the trigger or detonating a bomb, the shoe is on the other foot

Hypocritical f**ks the lot of them

Like the Free Staters after 1921, like Dev after 1926...   there aren't many pacifists out there, it is always a question of whether the situation justifies violence at the time.  McGuinness doesn't think the situation justifies violence any more, and I'd agree with him.   He's entitled to condemn it.
Is it just for you and Marty to decide these things? If so, I think that's a bit unfair on the rest of us. If not, then who decides if the situation justifies violence? If it's okay for you and Marty (and probably Gerry too) to reach a decision and act on it, why not the dissidents? Personally, I think the dissidents are a bunch of wankers. I thought the same about Marty and Gerry when they were engaged upon their 'armed struggle'. While I'm glad they've given it up, I can't help but feeling a bit of an angry head coming on when I see any Shinner on pontificating about the futility of the dissidents' actions. Pot, kettle, black are the words that spring to mind.

Nally Stand

Myles it's not for anyone to decide. Similarly it's not for you to decide if armed struggle is justified. The greatest influence is the circumstances of the time. A significant enough amount of people supported the IRA to partake in physical force, just like in the Tan War. Most people now accept that the circumstances don't exist now to justify it. Would you prefer if McGuinness and co said nothing? Just because some think armed struggle is justified in some cases does not mean they think so for all cases.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

orangeman

Yer woman Anderson almost made me laugh ( although it is not all funny ) wheh she was on the news this evening and she was saying " how dare" these people come in to Derry and do this". She repeated how dare they about 6 times and I couldn't help but think of the past actions of herself and her colleagues in SF.

Brass necks or what.

But fair play to them for getting away with it and carrying it off and mot impressively, keeping their faces straight.

Puckoon

Quote from: Minder on February 25, 2010, 05:32:55 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 25, 2010, 05:20:46 PM
Where are the usual gabshites?

Awaiting further direction from HQ.

You werent far off the mark there Minder boy.

orangeman

Real IRA admits to border killing 

Kieran Doherty, 31, was from the Brandywell area of Derry
The Real IRA has said it was responsible for the murder of a man in Londonderry on Wednesday.

In a statement to a local journalist, the organisation said it killed Kieran Doherty, 31, who was from the Brandywell area of the city.

His body was discovered, stripped and bound on Braehead Road, near the Irish border at about 2230 GMT.

Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness said the murder was a "dirty deed" and urged cooperation with the police.

He added that the political movement linked to the Real IRA, the 32 County Sovereignty Movement, should make a statement.

Police said Mr Doherty was last seen as he left home at about 2000 GMT on Wednesday night.

He was due to get married in three months and had a two-year-old daughter.

At a press conference the police said they were unable to confirm whether he had then been abducted, or whether he had been shot at the spot where his body was later discovered.

Detective Chief Inspector Ian Harrison said the people who murdered Mr Doherty were criminals, who had destroyed not only the victim's life, but those of his partner and his young family as well.

MI5

Mr Harrison confirmed that Kieran Doherty was "known to police" but would not give any more details.

In November 2009 Mr Doherty gave an interview to the Derry Journal newspaper in which he claimed he had been approached by the security service MI5 while trying to set up a cigarette manufacturing company.

According to the paper, he was repeatedly turned down for a licence by Revenue and Customs and was then approached by an MI5 agent.

Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness said he was outraged at the murder
"I think the whole thing is a set up in order to try and recruit informers," he told the newspaper.

In January this year, Mr Doherty again contacted the same newspaper after the PSNI searched his home. The search came after 500,000 euros worth of cannabis was found in a house in County Donegal.

Mr Doherty told the newspaper that he had no involvement with the drugs and that the house belonged to a Republican prisoner whom he had met in Portlaoise prison.

It is understood that Mr Doherty was jailed on a robbery charge.

Grief

Speaking on behalf of Mr Doherty's family, Sinn Féin Foyle MLA Martina Anderson requested that the family be allowed to grieve in private.

"Kieran's partner Mairead and his family are traumatised and in deep shock at the sudden and brutal death of Kieran.

"They wish to be left to plan his return and burial in private and in support of each other," the MLA added.

"The family have particularly asked that media do not congregate around the family home and they thank you for respecting their wishes

Mr Doherty's murder has been condemned by local politicians and community leaders.

The Catholic Bishop of Derry Seamus Hegarty described the killing as "brutal".

He added: "Our society has a tragic history of violence. Due to this history, we, more than many other societies, should appreciate that any attempt to drag us back to a bloody past is wrong.

"A peaceful society depends upon normal policing and justice. We have taken great strides in that direction."

Church of Ireland Bishop of Derry and Raphoe, the Rev Ken Good, said people in the town are in shock.

"Right across the community, there is a clear sense of revulsion that another brutal murder has been carried out in this city.

"The horrific manner in which the victim's body was left at the roadside by those who perpetrated the crime is a further cause for shock and outrage," he said.

Gold

Quote from: orangeman on February 25, 2010, 11:12:52 PM
Yer woman Anderson almost made me laugh ( although it is not all funny ) wheh she was on the news this evening and she was saying " how dare" these people come in to Derry and do this". She repeated how dare they about 6 times and I couldn't help but think of the past actions of herself and her colleagues in SF.

Brass necks or what.

But fair play to them for getting away with it and carrying it off and mot impressively, keeping their faces straight.

i felt the same
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Puckoon

Partner and a 2 year old child.

I hope the bastards that pulled the trigger maybe think about that as they go home to their own children.

orangeman

Quote from: Puckoon on February 25, 2010, 11:20:06 PM
Partner and a 2 year old child.

I hope the b**tards that pulled the trigger maybe think about that as they go home to their own children.

They'll hardly.