Ray Darcy - "I will leave the country if Enda Kenny becomes Taoiseach".

Started by muppet, February 13, 2010, 10:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Almost sure Noel Edmonds said the same sort of thing about a Labour election victory in 1997. Afaik he didn't go through wiith his pledge.

Maiden1

Quote from: Canalman on February 15, 2010, 01:08:26 PM
Almost sure Noel Edmonds said the same sort of thing about a Labour election victory in 1997. Afaik he didn't go through wiith his pledge.

I think you are right.  Frank Bruno, Paul Daniels and Phil Collins all said they would leave as well (Collins was the only 1 who kept to his promise).  If ever the election swung in Labours favour it was all these clampets threatening to leave.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Brendan O'Connor actually said to him "this is from a man who stays in the country with Brian Cowen as Taoiseach" To which D'Arcy just shrugged.

When Bertie quit as Taoiseach, D'Arcy did an entire day dedicated to the Glorious Leader Berite, all was good and great all day about Berte, he did an entire montage to his greatness.

Whatever about him being a Fianna Failer and defending Brian Cowan (useless but still a human being) but anyone who can defend Patrick Bartholomew "Bertie" Ahern really isn't an opinion worth listening to.

D'Arcy was also very smug about Enda's remark about "being more himself". I am actually begining to think this whole George Lee thing may be a God-send to Enda Kenny, he can now throw off his handlers, its better him acting himself and making a few stupid gaffes on TV (never did Bertie any harm, nothing to aspire to by the way) than looking stiff. For anyone who has talked to Enda on the street or in the pub they tend to a man/woman have high praise and regard for Kenny, he acts so comforatbly talking to people. For some reason he seems to act different on front of the tv camera. When Dobson interviewed him on the News after the Lee debacle he came across natural and more like a sure this is the way it is, not bothered if you like me, this is me. Far better approch than the try too hard method that seemed only present on tv.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

heineken_on_tap

Not a big fan of Ray Darcy but in fairness if Enda becomes Taoiseach we may all as well pack up and leave. He may be a nice enough oul devil but as clueless as they come.

magpie seanie

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on February 15, 2010, 03:58:59 PM
Not a big fan of Ray Darcy but in fairness if Enda becomes Taoiseach we may all as well pack up and leave. He may be a nice enough oul devil but as clueless as they come.

Could he be any worse that what we presently have? Serious question.

AZOffaly

I think Enda Kenny would be worse than Cowen, believe it or not. I actually think Cowen is fairly intelligent, but he is completely unsuited to this sort of situation, partly of his making I'd say. Any Fine Gael/Labour politicians I've spoken to have almost been unanimous in their praise of Cowen, at least privately. Of course he's a big Fianna Fail party man, so he has to carry the blame for the corruption and croneyism which seems endemic there, even though he doesn't seem personally to be as grubby as some of the others.

Enda just seems too much like a marketers image of a politician. All suave suits, glib soundbites and perfect hair.

I'd like to see a government with Richard Bruton in it to give him a chance, and a few others as well in the Labour/Fine Gael ranks, but I'd like to see them in with some of brighter Fianna Fail bucks too, and I wouldn't really care who was Taoiseach.

Having said all that, if it makes Ray Arsey leave the country, votáil Enda.

magpie seanie

I'm aware of this opinion of Cowen but the evidence of his time in Health, Finance and as Taoiseach just doesn't back it up. He was Minister for Finance and it was largely his/Bertie's policies that meant we fell into the abyss rather than had a bit of a bumpy landing.

As you said it really doesn't matter terribly who is Taoiseach if he has good, intelligent, strong people around him. I'm not entirely sold on Kenny, far from it, but the current crowd are a complete disaster* so I'm willing to see how he gets on.

* I'd be interested to see who you rate as the brighter FF people. As far as I can see there's only one and he's got a bigger fight on his hands than the economy. He was dumped into a ministry he had no expertise in and took time to get his bearings. Unfortunately in that time he made big mistakes but hopefully if he wins his health battle he can continue to grow and perhaps offer that chink of light.

Bogball XV

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 15, 2010, 03:44:02 PM
Brendan O'Connor actually said to him "this is from a man who stays in the country with Brian Cowen as Taoiseach" To which D'Arcy just shrugged.
O'Connor was one of Ahern's biggest (probably literally too) supporters. 

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Bogball XV on February 15, 2010, 09:50:11 PM

Well he wasn't the one who came out with the comment, I think he was just pointing out D'Arcys hypocricy.

Bogball XV

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 15, 2010, 09:55:45 PM

Well he wasn't the one who came out with the comment, I think he was just pointing out D'Arcys hypocricy.
and i'm just pointing out the manpig's hypocrisy in being able to cheerlead the utterly incompetent Ahern, yet condem the less incompetent Cowen.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Bogball XV on February 15, 2010, 10:02:00 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 15, 2010, 09:55:45 PM

and i'm just pointing out the manpig's hypocrisy in being able to cheerlead the utterly incompetent Ahern, yet condem the less incompetent Cowen.

Fair points. I actually feel a little sorry for Cowen, how the hell is Bertie still getting special appearances on RTE & writing for the Sunday World from time to time.

johnpower

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 14, 2010, 11:25:35 AM
For me he'll always be the Ray on "The Den".  For that reason I find it very hard to take him seriously.

I agree Pints .He is a major jackass . Thank God I have managed to hold onto the job for now and dont have to listen to that little bollix .

mylestheslasher

When Bertie quit as Taoiseach, D'Arcy did an entire day dedicated to the Glorious Leader Berite, all was good and great all day about Berte, he did an entire montage to his greatness.

Whatever about him being a Fianna Failer and defending Brian Cowan (useless but still a human being) but anyone who can defend Patrick Bartholomew "Bertie" Ahern really isn't an opinion worth listening to.

D'Arcy was also very smug about Enda's remark about "being more himself". I am actually begining to think this whole George Lee thing may be a God-send to Enda Kenny, he can now throw off his handlers, its better him acting himself and making a few stupid gaffes on TV (never did Bertie any harm, nothing to aspire to by the way) than looking stiff. For anyone who has talked to Enda on the street or in the pub they tend to a man/woman have high praise and regard for Kenny, he acts so comforatbly talking to people. For some reason he seems to act different on front of the tv camera. When Dobson interviewed him on the News after the Lee debacle he came across natural and more like a sure this is the way it is, not bothered if you like me, this is me. Far better approch than the try too hard method that seemed only present on tv.

My problem with Enda Kenny is he is false. He has the most ridiculous air brushed pictures of himself at his offices. He said he would never go into governemnt with SF but couldn't or wouldn't give a reason and effectively he just takes populist stances on everything so that he can be Taoiseach. There is no substance or principle to the man whatsoever. Doesn't take away from the fact that D'arcy is his equal.

Zapatista

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 16, 2010, 10:42:33 AM
My problem with Enda Kenny is he is false. He has the most ridiculous air brushed pictures of himself at his offices. He said he would never go into governemnt with SF but couldn't or wouldn't give a reason and effectively he just takes populist stances on everything so that he can be Taoiseach. There is no substance or principle to the man whatsoever. Doesn't take away from the fact that D'arcy is his equal.

I suppose a plus is that he never stole from us or protected corrupt politicans. It's sad when that is a plus.

Most posters are airbrushed. Kenny is no exception. Few wore as much makeup as Ahern though, even the women didn't wear as much makeup.

ballinaman

Quote from: Zapatista on February 16, 2010, 11:01:57 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 16, 2010, 10:42:33 AM

I suppose a plus is that he never stole from us or protected corrupt politicans. It's sad when that is a plus.
Sure time will tell. Sad alright when ya can't trust any of them!