Homophobia and racism in Ireland

Started by Olly, February 08, 2010, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olly

Do people think Ireland is less tolerable towards homosexuals or people of non-white race than other countries or is it the same everywhere?

I despair sometimes at the things i hear from the public and that includes the elderly and politicians towards these normal groups.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

ziggysego

For a country the prides itself on being friendly and promotes itself to the world as the best people in the world, we do have a dark underbelly of racism and homophobia. I don't know the reasoning behind. Only thing I can think of, is with regards to racism is that we are only experiencing immigration for the first time as a nation in the last 10 years. As for homophobia, it's appears to me to be an unfortunate hangup of being a religious country (supposedly).

Both very sad indeed.
Testing Accessibility

Hardy

I find Ireland quite tolerable when the weather is nice.

Just to get this out of the way, because someone is going to say it soon:

O'Neill, this is one of your best creations.

JohnDenver

Quote from: ziggysego on February 08, 2010, 10:10:06 AM
For a country the prides itself on being friendly and promotes itself to the world as the best people in the world, we do have a darkie underbelly of racism and homophobia. I don't know the reasoning behind. Only thing I can think of, is with regards to racism is that we are only experiencing immigration for the first time as a nation in the last 10 years. As for homophobia, it's appears to me to be an unfortunate hangup of being a religious country (supposedly).

Both very sad indeed.

bit of a low blow ther ziggy, no need for it...I fixed it for u

Olly

Quote from: ziggysego on February 08, 2010, 10:10:06 AM
For a country the prides itself on being friendly and promotes itself to the world as the best people in the world, we do have a dark underbelly of racism and homophobia. I don't know the reasoning behind. Only thing I can think of, is with regards to racism is that we are only experiencing immigration for the first time as a nation in the last 10 years. As for homophobia, it's appears to me to be an unfortunate hangup of being a religious country (supposedly).

Both very sad indeed.

That is exactly what I think.
Quote from: Hardy on February 08, 2010, 10:12:05 AM
I find Ireland quite tolerable when the weather is nice.

Just to get this out of the way, because someone is going to say it soon:

O'Neill, this is one of your best creations.

Unfortunately there are those who will never see the serious side of what this is about.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

The Iceman

I think it is ok to disagree on things.  I don't think racism is ok and I don't think homophobia (taken into action) is ok.
You can't tell people not to be homophobic. 

The danger of all this live and let live stuff is Ireland becomes too politically correct.  Look where it got America.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

full back

Quote from: The Iceman on February 08, 2010, 02:28:28 PM
I think it is ok to disagree on things.  I don't think racism is ok and I don't think homophobia (taken into action) is ok.
You can't tell people not to be homophobic. 

Im a bit confued here iceman.
You can tell people not to be racist but you cant tell them not to be homophobic ???

How so?

AZOffaly

I presume he means you can stop them acting or discriminating on the basis of their prejudice. You can't really make them change their mind.

full back

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 08, 2010, 02:33:27 PM
I presume he means you can stop them acting or discriminating on the basis of their prejudice. You can't really make them change their mind.

Dont think you can separate the 2 AZ

longrunsthefox

Another problem is a lot of people don't understand what the words mean. On the board here a few weeks ago a poster expressed his dislike of some black person (can't remember who it was). Another idiot said he was being racist, but the views were not expressed because of the man's colour and did not refer to his colour. 
Do people think that it is homophobic to feel squemish-uncomfortable (not sure what word to use) at the sight of two men snogging?

AZOffaly

Quote from: full back on February 08, 2010, 02:46:26 PM

I think you can. I hate Westmeath feckers, but I wouldn't discriminate against them because of it :D

DuffleKing

What is wrong with believing that homophobia is wrong?

muppet

MWWSI 2017

full back

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 08, 2010, 02:59:31 PM
Quote from: full back on February 08, 2010, 02:46:26 PM

I think you can. I hate Westmeath feckers, but I wouldn't discriminate against them because of it :D

:D