The Good American in Haiti

Started by magickingdom, January 25, 2010, 07:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

listening to the radio this morning with irish aid workers saying how nothing with be getting thro or working in Haiti without the US (both military and civilians) i was reminded of john o shea of goal asking people NOT to donate to the hurricane Katrina humanitarian fund in the new orleans area. i remember thinking 'what a bollix' i wonder would he say that now? america like the rest of the world has the good the bad and the ugly but i think more than other countries its gets bad press and little praise for the good it does. .

Rav67

What did O'Shea say about Katrina and what were his reasons?  Yer man does seem to be a right ersehole from the little I've heard about him.

magickingdom

basically that people should not donate, that the US should pay for it themselves as they could afford it. missed the whole point of a helping hand imo.

Shamrock Shore

My missus had dealings with him as she helped organise a golf classic with funds going to Goal a good while ago.

She wouldn't disagree with Rav there

Denn Forever

I suppose his reasoning was that if the US can send help to Haiti  (or whereever there is a crisis or natural disaster) they can send help to New Orleans.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Zapatista

Quote from: magickingdom on January 25, 2010, 07:39:47 PM
listening to the radio this morning with irish aid workers saying how nothing with be getting thro or working in Haiti without the US (both military and civilians) i was reminded of john o shea of goal asking people NOT to donate to the hurricane Katrina humanitarian fund in the new orleans area. i remember thinking 'what a bollix' i wonder would he say that now? america like the rest of the world has the good the bad and the ugly but i think more than other countries its gets bad press and little praise for the good it does. .

To be fair I would expect nothing less from the military. That's were the American expertise is. They are also close to Haiti and can move large numbers of machinery (which they have in excess) and personnel there much easier than from Europe. For example Cuba have excess in doctors and were able to send 500 qualified doctors which is every bit as good as the US military.

I wouldn't be surprised if Countries like Venezuela offer fuel or whatever else they might have that could help. Ireland would have sent priests in the past.

Keyser soze

It well behoves the USA to send aid to Haiti as they are at least partially responsible for the dire state of that country through their interference in it's economic and political life over the last century.

The debate on whether or not John O'Shea is an asshole, has long ago been put to bed.

Minder

Quote from: Keyser soze on January 25, 2010, 08:54:59 PM
It well behoves the USA to send aid to Haiti as they are at least partially responsible for the dire state of that country through their interference in it's economic and political life over the last century.

The debate on whether or not John O'Shea is an asshole, has long ago been put to bed.

I think France are a more guilty party considering they bankrupted them.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Minder on January 25, 2010, 09:07:13 PM

The US played their part in Haiti's failure as a state as well, make no mistake about it Minder
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Minder

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 25, 2010, 09:13:09 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 25, 2010, 09:07:13 PM

The US played their part in Haiti's failure as a state as well, make no mistake about it Minder

I am not disagreeing, I just think France were more culpable.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Zapatista

Quote from: Minder on January 25, 2010, 09:34:16 PM

It's form for France too. There are a few Countries (including this one) picking up the pieces after them in Africa too.

Denn Forever

Haiti was the first Black nation to gain/wrest their independence in 1804.

means what he says...

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 25, 2010, 10:05:13 PM
Yes, I don't get what you are trying to say though... or is that it?  ;)

Zap, you hit on something there, look at Africa as a continent, with all its natural resources it should be one of the richest but no... western states invaded, butchered, enslaved, colonised and finally left Africa after draining her of lots of her natural resources

When they left too they only left in name and lots of land-owners in Africa today owe their land to the colour of their ancestors skin and their skin.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Denn Forever

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 25, 2010, 10:05:13 PM

I just think that its cool. 

After that they were shafted by themselves (Papa and Baby Doc) and the US (Papa and Baby Doc).

Hopefully it can be rebuilt.
means what he says...

stew

Quote from: Zapatista on January 25, 2010, 09:43:11 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 25, 2010, 09:34:16 PM

It's form for France too. There are a few Countries (including this one) picking up the pieces after them in Africa too.

Aye, America is an awful country altogether, I am sure that the big men on here that bash it at every opportunity would never visit it or if they did I am sure they would sit in a bar and hold court, letting the big, bad yanks know exactly what they think of their country/government.

The hypocrisy on this board is unbelievable at times.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.