Drugs in UK sports....

Started by muppet, June 09, 2015, 01:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

He didn't come out of the blue though. Any predictions I saw before the race had him at silver or bronze.

imtommygunn

Him and Kerr were widely predicted to challenge for medals. Read there his da was a 213 marathoner and his mum 231.

9 times out of 10 wightman doesn't win that world final but 9 out of 10 he wouldn't finish tenth either.

Capt Pat

Its just I'm confused. A few years ago I was lead to beleive that the Kenyans and Ethiopians etc were untouchables to white Europeans in middle and long distance events. I never heard of his parents, they obviously were not that good. His dad is identified as a commentator and coach not as a former elite runner. Only 2 Kenyans and one Ethiopian in that final but 3 Spaniards and 2 Brits. Why the sudden change from a few years back when Africans dominated.

imtommygunn

They were international athletes both of them though neither absolute top end. You would imagine that would be a help to an athlete.

The Kenyans and Ethiopians don't dominate the 800 and 1500 the way that they do at 5000 and up. (Tbh it's 3000 and up but only steeplechase at 3000 in outdoor). E.g. there's never been an Olympic 1500 metre winner from Ethiopia.

Farah broke the dominance in 5000 and 10000 but I think we all know the reasons there.

N.b. They dominate more in women's but have really in the men's.

gallsman

Europeans have always been competitive at middle distance, both the 800 and 1500 and while the Kenyans and North Africans (Ethiopia has never really been a men's might distance force the way Kenya has) took most of the golds, there's a more than healthy scattering of world and Olympic medals amongst Europeans. An American lad won gold in Rio. Ingebritsen has been marked for greatness and superstardom since his mid teens. Wightman ran a PB on a very fast track and others didn't run what they are capable of. Don't think there's anything to raise an eyebrow at.

nrico2006

Mad to see that the time to win it yesterday is around the time Cram won it in. You would have expected times now to have improved on those from 40 years ago.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

El Guerrouj's WR is nearly 25 years old. Ingebritsen hasn't got within two seconds of it yet, although he's only 21.

imtommygunn

They reckon the shoe technology makes little to no difference on 800/1500 kind of distance so maybe a part of why other distances getting much quicker and this not.

Ingebrtsen not likeable at all but huge talent. I honestly thought he showed a real lack of character in this race. Wightman passed him and it was just like ok that's it. There was no dying last I will give everything I have here.

nrico2006

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 21, 2022, 07:44:17 AM
They reckon the shoe technology makes little to no difference on 800/1500 kind of distance so maybe a part of why other distances getting much quicker and this not.

Ingebrtsen not likeable at all but huge talent. I honestly thought he showed a real lack of character in this race. Wightman passed him and it was just like ok that's it. There was no dying last I will give everything I have here.

But then you look at Karsten Warholm who knocked nearly a second of a 29 year old world record in the space of a month last summer in such a short distance.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

imtommygunn

They reckon it's 800-1500 it doesn't see as many gains(actually more 800). I think it's Ross Tucker was talking about it and actually the 400 hurdles may be the perfect distance to reap the benefit. 400 hurdles very quick this year too. Warholm near last but I think he's had a very bad injury this year.

nrico2006

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 21, 2022, 08:52:57 AM
They reckon it's 800-1500 it doesn't see as many gains(actually more 800). I think it's Ross Tucker was talking about it and actually the 400 hurdles may be the perfect distance to reap the benefit. 400 hurdles very quick this year too. Warholm near last but I think he's had a very bad injury this year.

Aye, I assume his position is as a result of injury, think he did his hamstring in June.