Heating or lack there of...

Started by Alco Pup, December 02, 2009, 11:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alco Pup

Needing some advice guys - the heating in my house has appeared to have died..

The hot water seems to be working ok, and the thermostat is sitting at 25, but the radiators are all freezing!
Not sure if its connected or not, but I had ran out of oil last week, but got some the next day..

Am currently freezing me @rse off in the house - please help!!!  :'(

Larry Duff

Is the burner not turning on at all, or turning on but not firing?

Has your heat worked at all since oil fill? - If not then your burner is probably airlocked, if it has then I have no idea what the problem is :-\

The Real Laoislad

Sounds like you need to bleed the burner  sounds like a air lock.
There should be a red button on the burner try pressing that in for a few seconds to see will it get it going first
You'll Never Walk Alone.

supersarsfields

If it's airlocked there should be a screw at the front of th burner. Open it and you should get a wee hiss of air and then keep it open until oil leaks out. Then tighten it up and try and fire it up again. You may need to bleed the radiators aswell.

Alco Pup

Thanks guys!

The boiler does seem to make a noise - but I think thats linked to the hot water - I'll put my hands up and admit that when it comes to this I am your typical female, have no clue!!

Once i got the oil fill, I had to repressure the system so I got hot water. 

Do I just hit the reset button then?  What about bleeding the radiators?

The Real Laoislad

Your a woman? Ah jaysis sure that changes things so.
Are you sure you got oil refilled?
Are you sure boiler is plugged in?
Are you sure you are in the right house?
Are you sure it's not actually a gas burner?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

Reminds me the time and friend of ours, a woman, sat in the house with no heat for a week and a plumber had to come round and tell her she was out of oil.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Alco Pup

Oh hang on....I think I needed oil...

And boilers have a plug????

Larry Duff

Quote from: Alco Pup on December 02, 2009, 11:24:17 AM
Thanks guys!

The boiler does seem to make a noise - but I think thats linked to the hot water - I'll put my hands up and admit that when it comes to this I am your typical female, have no clue!!

Once i got the oil fill, I had to repressure the system so I got hot water. 

Do I just hit the reset button then?  What about bleeding the radiators?

If it is airlocked then you probably won't be digging out an allen key to bleed it then?

Try pushing the reset button (I assumed that you had already done this ::), before your gender revelation).

If it still doesn't fire then your need to get someone to bleed the burner. Quite easily done, no need for a plumber, any male friend should be able to help.

Maiden1

Surely if the boiler is heating the hot water then the boiler is firing ok?  You sure you are not switching on the emersion to heat the water?
There are no proofs, only opinions.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Maiden1 on December 02, 2009, 11:42:16 AM
Surely if the boiler is heating the hot water then the boiler is firing ok?  You sure you are not switching on the emersion to heat the water?

The immersion has nothing to do with the burner
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Maiden1

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 02, 2009, 11:43:52 AM
Quote from: Maiden1 on December 02, 2009, 11:42:16 AM

The immersion has nothing to do with the burner

No but it might explain why she is getting hot water.  If it is not the immersion but the boiler that is heating the water then the boiler is firing.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Alco Pup

I don't even know where the immersion switch is!

The boiler has two dials on it, and a light beside each one.  I don't leave either on timer, I just let them run off the thermostat (so they are always switched to on).  The light is on for the water, but not for the radiator one!

The reset button had some big warning on it about only hitting it twice, so I wasn't sure if I should hit it or not (had visions of me legging it out of the house with dog under one arm and PS3 &whiskey under the other while the house blows up behind me!)

So plan of action when I get home is to hit the reset button, bleed the radiators (if I can find one of those wee key thingys), and failing all that go out and nab the first bloke I find, drag him in and ask him to fix it for me!

cookstownblue

did u put heating oil in or baby oil?

Alco Pup