FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

There's a place for a midfielder alright and 2 fullbacks, but apart from that we have enough available.
The best passing midfielders we have available are Fahey and Gibson. That's it.
Andrews has recovered from long term injury and playing well for us,
Possibly one of Fahey/Gibson will partner Andrews for the Slovakia game.
So far in this campaign, we have had an awful 60 minutes against Russia. We hit the post early on in that game and their 3rd goal had a wicked deflection. Whelan was comotose and Green, a mildly competent scrapper was left dangling on a rope.
We will give them a game in Russia.

Beat Slovakia at home we have 2nd place, get an away point against Russia and we have a very decent chance of automatic qualification (topping the group or best runner up).
That's how it is for Ireland in soccer. We have dogfights against the likes of Macedonia to qualify and beating them away or conceding a last minute equaliser, makes the difference between qualifying and failure. So féck the quality with the ball, in those dogfights, I can wait for that. First I want the 3 points -  as comfortable as possible.

Main Street

Quote from: muppet on June 08, 2011, 02:26:06 PM
Trapp played Brady for Juventus and wasn't happy when the owners bought Platini and Boniek (only two foreigners allowed at the time).

Jack retired Brady, put McGrath midfield (Lawrenson before that) and picked Mick McCarthy.

You do remember Brady was instrumental in the 88 Euro qual campaign, culminating in a superb Brady performance in the last game against Bulgaria, even his red card was class.
You can argue about Brady's treatment after that, after a long layoff for a damaged cruciate ligament. When Ireland went off to italia 90, Brady had already played his last competitive game, a game he played for West ham after another lay off.

Lawrenson and McGrath were complete footballers. Lawrenson was used in midfield long before Charlton came. I distinctly remember Ireland beating Holland 2-1 at Lansdowne in 1981, Lawro was in midfield with Brady  and Daly.

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on June 09, 2011, 11:53:02 AM
Trapp played Brady for Juventus and wasn't happy when the owners bought Platini and Boniek (only two foreigners allowed at the time).

Jack retired Brady, put McGrath midfield (Lawrenson before that) and picked Mick McCarthy.

You do remember Brady was instrumental in the 88 Euro qual campaign, culminating in a superb Brady performance in the last game against Bulgaria, even his red card was class.
You can argue about Brady's treatment after that, after a long layoff for a damaged cruciate ligament. When Ireland went off to italia 90, Brady had already played his last competitive game, a game he played for West ham after another lay off.

Lawrenson and McGrath were complete footballers. Lawrenson was used in midfield long before Charlton came. I distinctly remember Ireland beating Holland 2-1 at Lansdowne in 1981, Lawro was in midfield with Brady  and Daly.

I remember, but Jack still retired Brady.

I also remember his last act for West Ham just before Italy 1990: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOz4wVRjEuI
MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

Quote from: nifan on May 25, 2011, 08:24:01 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 24, 2011, 10:43:09 PM
I'd say they would have played him, he wasn't bad.

I see on OWC they reckon the ROI fans booed the NI anthem, booed Steven Davis, and chanted ooh-ah Up the 'Ra?

Is this true? Pathetic if so.
BBC report said anthem was "roundly booed", but didnt mention anything about davis or up the ra, though main street seems to confirm that the davis one happened.
A bit late here but only right to boo an anthem which only represents the loyalist element of NI fans....oops sorry that's them all ;)

Billys Boots

Jack did 'retire' Brady; he actually took him off in his testimonial against Germany in Lansdowne Road; I was there and remember thinking it was very bad form on the day (as did everyone around me, and Brady too, if I remember correctly).  As I recall, Brady said afterwards that he'd never play for a Charlton-managed Ireland team again.  Though he may have been officially retired at the time; hence the testimonial.  I'm not sure, he rambled on ...
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

muppet

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 09, 2011, 01:01:55 PM
Jack did 'retire' Brady; he actually took him off in his testimonial against Germany in Lansdowne Road; I was there and remember thinking it was very bad form on the day (as did everyone around me, and Brady too, if I remember correctly).  As I recall, Brady said afterwards that he'd never play for a Charlton-managed Ireland team again.  Though he may have been officially retired at the time; hence the testimonial.  I'm not sure, he rambled on ...

Jack then seemed to change his mind and tried to put Brady back on again but the official didn't allow it as it was a proper international tie. Either that or I am getting senile.
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Brady was the first player to have an international release clause put into his contract when he signed for Juve.
No player could have wanted it more to go to Finals with Ireland than him and considering how he missed out on the '88 Euros.
Charlton had a brain fart over the issue. The manner in which it was done hurt Brady and was perceived by fans to be a crass insult to the finest player since Giles. The issue has been done to death. Charlton made a crude mistake, Brady got over it and came to terms with it.

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on June 09, 2011, 02:22:06 PM
Brady was the first player to have an international release clause put into his contract when he signed for Juve.
No player could have wanted it more to go to Finals with Ireland than him and considering how he missed out on the '88 Euros.
Charlton had a brain fart over the issue. The manner in which it was done hurt Brady and was perceived by fans to be a crass insult to the finest player since Giles. The issue has been done to death. Charlton made a crude mistake, Brady got over it and came to terms with it.

Everyone is over it. Just worth mentioning that Brady paid for most of his own flights to matches including friendlies.

I was just opining that Trapp might have played differently with the talent Jack had. That is not meant to knock Jack's achievements at all as but for the freakish bounce of a ball we could have been in a Euro semi-final with our tails up and confidence flying.
MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

Quotebut for the freakish bounce of a ball we could have been in a Euro semi-final with our tails up and confidence flying

There were two freakish bounces in that match; the first was McGrath's header in the first half that came off the post onto the heel of a Dutch defender and somehow stayed out of the net; I don't want to talk about the other one.  :'(

And Main St., sorry for bringing the Brady saga up again.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

Sorry my ass  ;D

How many are on the probation list?
Wilson, Walters, Gibson and McCarthy ?
Two nordies in that lot and another nordie shunted out of the successful u19 squad.
Charlton would have had their guts for garters.

ardtole

who was the nordie booted out of the u-19 squad?

Main Street

One of the Derry McEleaney's

edit -  Shane McEleney, pulled out a squad for a friendly international. Rejected the call up for another squad.
Eventually found himself excluded from the squad that made it to the Euro Finals to be played sometime soon.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: muppet on June 09, 2011, 12:04:13 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 09, 2011, 11:53:02 AM

I remember, but Jack still retired Brady.

I also remember his last act for West Ham just before Italy 1990: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOz4wVRjEuI

Christy cooney would not be impressed with

Bogball XV

Any links to the tweets alleging a high profile irish player has been playing away from home and has taken out a super-injunction?

Declan

QuoteAny links to the tweets alleging a high profile irish player has been playing away from home and has taken out a super-injunction?

We'll I heard a name mentioned months ago and was surpised but then again rumours are rumours but you'd want to be on serious money to be paying out the legal fees ;)