The Poppy

Started by ONeill, October 28, 2009, 12:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Does it bother you?
Why does it bother some of us?

Asked Sidebottom earlier in the year why he wore one and he said something about a close relative dying during the war (twas drunken 2am conversation).
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Testing Accessibility

gerry

would have to say that i wouldn't be a great fan of them.  i find it a feck you badge rather than a mark of respect  to  someone who died in ww1 or ww2.

i suppose if we had not got the the last 30 years of conflict here you might accept it more
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

pintsofguinness

Ah the annual thread.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

rosnarun

we ll the poppy is hardy annual as well.
and the english insistance on its use seems to be getting more fascist every year. I wonder are there fines in place in The bbc if people dont wear it . certainly seems that way.
Let them glorfy there wars if they want . But we know how the English behaved in wars ado you really think they are behaving any differently in their current wars in Iraq Afghanistan and Pakistan .
If you want to celebrate that go right ahead.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tankie

should we just not pull up last years threads and people can read them instead of having to do this dance again,
Grand Slam Saturday!

dillinger

. But we know how the English behaved in wars 
[/quote

Ref WW2, to stop German soldiers marching through the streets of Ireland?

Capt Pat

Why do they wear a flower that is used to make heroin? Quite appropriate.

Minder

A very mischievous thread by ONeill.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Zapatista

Quote from: dillinger on October 28, 2009, 01:37:19 AM
. But we know how the English behaved in wars 
[/quote

Ref WW2, to stop German soldiers marching through the streets of Ireland?

You're right. Much better having British soldiers marching through the streets of Ireland.

Lawrence of Knockbride

............so this isn't about heroin then.....??????

Archie Mitchell

It gives the unionists yet another chance to play the religion card. Imagine the uproar if people freely wore an Easter Lily to work etc?

haranguerer

Quote from: Capt Pat on October 28, 2009, 01:49:04 AM

::)

I think that a country should remember their war-dead, and its an appropriate gesture for Britain to make.

Of course, its a little different in the north, where they are often worn as said earlier, as a 'feck you' gesture, similar to putting an orange sash on.

Zapatista

Quote from: haranguerer on October 28, 2009, 08:45:14 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on October 28, 2009, 01:49:04 AM

::)

I think that a country should remember their war-dead, and its an appropriate gesture for Britain to make.

Of course, its a little different in the north, where they are often worn as said earlier, as a 'feck you' gesture, similar to putting an orange sash on.

There is a difference in remembering war-dead and paying for the retirement of war mongers.

Donagh

Quote from: ONeill on October 28, 2009, 12:30:43 AM
Does it bother you?
Why does it bother some of us?

Asked Sidebottom earlier in the year why he wore one and he said something about a close relative dying during the war (twas drunken 2am conversation).

Sidearse is full of shite - doesn't have the balls to stand up to the BBC. Another Frank Mitchell McClory.

He does seem to be drunk quite a lot though. Maybe he's  an alcoholic.