The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: gallsman on March 26, 2018, 04:20:31 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 26, 2018, 03:57:44 PM
Quote from: gallsman on March 26, 2018, 03:49:36 PM
Saying he's wrong, which he patently is, isn't snobbery.

No but saying he's wrong while have a dig at three schools is what exactly? To me your projecting your own snobbery towards fee paying schools.

Point out where I had a dig at the schools?

I made reference to the fact that, in Ireland, rugby is clearly still very much an elitist sport, regardless of how many sit down to watch the national team play one of its biggest matches of the last ten years. The developmental route to the professional game very much goes through those elite schools. When you're arguing that it's "the sport of the people" that point becomes particularly relevant.

Why mention the schools at all then, you brought them up not me?

Rugby is not an elitist sport, anyone can join their local rugby club, my own rugby club has 22 teams including women's, girls and disability, how many GAA clubs can match that? The development route doesn't very much go through the elite schools. There are many pathways. Jacob Stockdale did not got to a fee paying school and he just won player of the 6 nations. Joey Carberry, Tadgh Furlong, Bundee Aki, Iain Henderson, Keith Earls also all starters, non-fee paying schools.

Do you increase your chances of a professional career if you go to a Michael's, Belvo or a Blackrock, absolutely, the culture of rugby in those schools the same way the culture of football in St Jarleths's improves your chances but it's not the only pathway.

The likes of Francis and MacKenna try to polarise people, I wouldn't give them oxygen.

#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

I agree with a lot of that Dinny. Down here there are several rugby clubs in towns like my own, Newport, which is just a village really. The same people involved are with the soccer club and the GAA club.

gallsman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 26, 2018, 04:46:16 PM

No but saying he's wrong while have a dig at three schools is what exactly? To me your projecting your own snobbery towards fee paying schools.

I made reference to the fact that, in Ireland, rugby is clearly still very much an elitist sport, regardless of how many sit down to watch the national team play one of its biggest matches of the last ten years. The developmental route to the professional game very much goes through those elite schools. When you're arguing that it's "the sport of the people" that point becomes particularly relevant.

Rugby is not an elitist sport, anyone can join their local rugby club, my own rugby club has 22 teams including women's, girls and disability, how many GAA clubs can match that? The development route doesn't very much go through the elite schools. There are many pathways. Jacob Stockdale did not got to a fee paying school and he just won player of the 6 nations. Joey Carberry, Tadgh Furlong, Bundee Aki, Iain Henderson, Keith Earls also all starters, non-fee paying schools.

Do you increase your chances of a professional career if you go to a Michael's, Belvo or a Blackrock, absolutely, the culture of rugby in those schools the same way the culture of football in St Jarleths's improves your chances but it's not the only pathway.

The likes of Francis and MacKenna try to polarise people, I wouldn't give them oxygen.

Several, around the country I would imagine. How many rugby clubs can match it, as of a matter of interest?

Syferus

There's fûck all elitism out west in rugby. There isn't any room for it for one. Bit of a mischaracterisation to focus on some Leinster schools and ignore what's happening in the rest of the country.

GetOverTheBar

Play myself lads and I'm far from elite  ;)

Dinny Breen

Quote from: gallsman on March 26, 2018, 04:54:46 PM

Several, around the country I would imagine. How many rugby clubs can match it, as of a matter of interest?

Not many particularly the disability side. Does disability hurling or football exist? Genuinely don't know but I know the FAI have led way and now how 1000s participating in their football for all programs and the IRFU are following suit, very much in it's infancy with only I think 9 or 10 special needs team in Leinster. Girls rugby is growing at a massive rate, 7s is a big winner in the schools, very similar to ladies football in that manner. I get the image of rugby with MacKenna and Francis doing their best to ensure that stereotype exists. But once you move away from large cities and towns the cross pollination between GAA clubs, soccers clubs and rugby clubs is such that they probably struggle to exist if their members were one sport only.
#newbridgeornowhere

LooseCannon

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 26, 2018, 05:07:10 PM

Not many particularly the disability side. Does disability hurling or football exist? Genuinely don't know but I know the FAI have led way and now how 1000s participating in their football for all programs and the IRFU are following suit, very much in it's infancy with only I think 9 or 10 special needs team in Leinster. Girls rugby is growing at a massive rate, 7s is a big winner in the schools, very similar to ladies football in that manner. I get the image of rugby with MacKenna and Francis doing their best to ensure that stereotype exists. But once you move away from large cities and towns the cross pollination between GAA clubs, soccers clubs and rugby clubs is such that they probably struggle to exist if their members were one sport only.
Emm, I can't imagine wheelchair hurling to be honest. Can't really imagine it for football either.

Syferus

Quote from: LooseCannon on March 26, 2018, 09:47:22 PM

Emm, I can't imagine wheelchair hurling to be honest. Can't really imagine it for football either.

Why would it have to involve wheelchairs? There's a hell of a lot of different disabilities.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

yellowcard

I'd watch all of the 6 nations matches and if an Irish province got to say the last 4 of the European Cup I might tune in. Other than that I don't follow Pro14 games nor have I ever attended an AI league match. For me it's all about the 'event' and the sense of national identity that comes from watching your country. It also helps that it is one of the few 32 county sports.

However the game itself doesn't really excite me if I'm honest. Take away all the marketing, tribalism and the full houses at big international matches and I think you'd see a sport that has become increasingly about size, power and grunt rather than any great level of skill. If Ireland lose in rugby I'd be disappointed for about 5 minutes which would not be the case when it comes to the Gaa. This emphasis on size and power would concern me and so would the concussion issue. It will take someone to get very seriously injured or worse for rugby to sit up and tackle this issue properly.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Syferus on March 26, 2018, 09:49:09 PM
Quote from: LooseCannon on March 26, 2018, 09:47:22 PM

Why would it have to involve wheelchairs? There's a hell of a lot of different disabilities.

I meant to elaborate further. It's  a hell of a lot more difficult to come up with disability sports in the GAA. Sorry about the wheelchair comment, I was trying to compare it to other disability sports to show how it wouldn't work. Actually now that I think of it, there is wheelchair ground hurling. A guy I know works with people with physical disabilities, and it's one of the games that they play.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 26, 2018, 10:05:16 PM
Stunned by that comment.
You should be I elaborated below. I didn't mean for it to sound prejudicial about disabilities. Apologies.

Zulu

There is disability hurling and football with more variations being developed at the moment.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: LooseCannon on March 26, 2018, 10:46:36 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 26, 2018, 10:05:16 PM
Stunned by that comment.
You should be I elaborated below. I didn't mean for it to sound prejudicial about disabilities. Apologies.

No worries.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Zulu on March 26, 2018, 11:07:59 PM
There is disability hurling and football with more variations being developed at the moment.

Great to hear, the rewards are fantastic.
#newbridgeornowhere