Keith Barrys Grandfather dies

Started by AbbeySider, September 22, 2009, 09:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

I find this story particularly sad.

Magician Barry's grandfather dies after Waterford attack

The grandfather of magician Keith Barry has died in hospital from injuries he sustained during a burglary at his home in Waterford last week.

Eighty-four-year-old Paddy Barry suffered serious head and facial injuries, as well as a broken arm, when he was attacked by three men who called to his home on Mount Sion Avenue last Wednesday evening.

He had been unresponsive since the attack and died in hospital at 5.30am today.

A post-mortem will be carried out to determine whether he died as a direct result of his injuries.

A man who was arrested by gardaí in relation to the incident was arrested and released. A garda spokesman said a file has been prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Mr Barry had lived in the Mount Sion Avenue area of Waterford for 60 years.

At the time, his devastated grandson Keith, who has staged sell-out shows in Las Vegas, hit out at the justice system and said other pensioners living in the quiet part of the city were petrified.

He called for mandatory three-year prison sentences for criminals who break into pensioners' homes.

"I think anybody who enters a pensioner's home uninvited – that's anybody over 65 – it should be a mandatory sentence, without bail, without excuses," said the entertainer last week.

"These thugs have no fear. They have no fear for the law, they have no fear for the justice system and they have no fear of us in our homes."

Gardaí have appealed with anyone with information to come forward.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/magician-barrys-grandfather-dies-after-waterford-attack-427251.html#ixzz0Rp7vZWME

man in black

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 22, 2009, 09:54:55 AM
I find this story particularly sad.

Magician Barry's grandfather dies after Waterford attack

The grandfather of magician Keith Barry has died in hospital from injuries he sustained during a burglary at his home in Waterford last week.

Eighty-four-year-old Paddy Barry suffered serious head and facial injuries, as well as a broken arm, when he was attacked by three men who called to his home on Mount Sion Avenue last Wednesday evening.

He had been unresponsive since the attack and died in hospital at 5.30am today.

A post-mortem will be carried out to determine whether he died as a direct result of his injuries.

A man who was arrested by gardaí in relation to the incident was arrested and released. A garda spokesman said a file has been prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Mr Barry had lived in the Mount Sion Avenue area of Waterford for 60 years.

At the time, his devastated grandson Keith, who has staged sell-out shows in Las Vegas, hit out at the justice system and said other pensioners living in the quiet part of the city were petrified.

He called for mandatory three-year prison sentences for criminals who break into pensioners' homes.

"I think anybody who enters a pensioner's home uninvited – that's anybody over 65 – it should be a mandatory sentence, without bail, without excuses," said the entertainer last week.

"These thugs have no fear. They have no fear for the law, they have no fear for the justice system and they have no fear of us in our homes."

Gardaí have appealed with anyone with information to come forward.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/magician-barrys-grandfather-dies-after-waterford-attack-427251.html#ixzz0Rp7vZWME

From a legal perspective what is the difference in breaking and entering a pensioners home or a young family for example. I dont think there should be any.

'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

Over the Bar

Here's an example of how the law is geared toward the perpetrators of Crime.

A pensioner lady who lives along the Fermanagh/Leitrim border returned home from the shops wither her daughter to discover 2 men in her house.   They men scarpered out the back door and hid an outhouse.  Thankfully if had a steel door which the daughter bolted.   They called the cops who said they had to release the men.  They told the cops where to go and the cops arrived double-quick.  Wehn they arrived they set the men free taking their names and swallowed the excuse that they stopped to ask for directions and the door was open.

The cops then cautioned the pensioner and her daughter and said they were lucky not to be charged with false imprisonment.

That's the protection we have from burglars the likes of the men who killed Keith Barry's grandfather.

man in black

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 22, 2009, 10:27:35 AM
Here's an example of how the law is geared toward the perpetrators of Crime.

A pensioner lady who lives along the Fermanagh/Leitrim border returned home from the shops wither her daughter to discover 2 men in her house.   They men scarpered out the back door and hid an outhouse.  Thankfully if had a steel door which the daughter bolted.   They called the cops who said they had to release the men.  They told the cops where to go and the cops arrived double-quick.  Wehn they arrived they set the men free taking their names and swallowed the excuse that they stopped to ask for directions and the door was open.

The cops then cautioned the pensioner and her daughter and said they were lucky not to be charged with false imprisonment.

That's the protection we have from burglars the likes of the men who killed Keith Barry's grandfather.

As someone that has been burgled i dont need lecturing on the level of protection afforded to the perpetrators. However my point is that i dont see the difference between a pensioner getting burgled and me or you getting burgled. Id love to hang the bastards from the nearest tree to be honest.

SidelineKick

MIB its probably the fact that they're so vulnerable in comparison to me or you.  We could put up some sort of defence or withstand an attack a little better.  One blow to a frail pensioner could seriously injur or even kill them.

To me, burglary is a terrible thing, but anyone that targets the elderly couldnt spend long enough in prison if you ask me.  Really hate reading stories about this, makes me sick.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

man in black

Quote from: SidelineKick on September 22, 2009, 10:46:24 AM
MIB its probably the fact that they're so vulnerable in comparison to me or you.  We could put up some sort of defence or withstand an attack a little better.  One blow to a frail pensioner could seriously injur or even kill them.

To me, burglary is a terrible thing, but anyone that targets the elderly couldnt spend long enough in prison if you ask me.  Really hate reading stories about this, makes me sick.

I know what you are saying - the targetting of the elderly is despicable. Its not a crime that carries anywhere near enough of a sentence. The good old fashioned knee capping was too good for them.

pintsofguinness

There shouldnt be a different sentenace if someone breaks in to an old person's home or a young person's, that would be a joke.

3 years mandatory sentence sounds reasonable though if it was up to me I'd have their hands cut off.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

muppet

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 22, 2009, 07:09:12 PM
There shouldnt be a different sentenace if someone breaks in to an old person's home or a young person's, that would be a joke.

3 years mandatory sentence sounds reasonable though if it was up to me I'd have their hands cut off.

3 years mandatory with no reprieve.

2nd offence 6 years.

3rd and throw away the key.
MWWSI 2017

mylestheslasher

I think there is a difference in robbing the elderly and robbing someone else, just like there is a difference in assaulting a child and assaulting an adult. The elderly and the child are unable to defend themselves and that is why they are targeted. The people that assault an old man are the most lowest of scum going. For what it is worth I would seriously introduce the following rules...

- You enter the house of an elderly person uninvited then you surrender your rights
- Homeowner should be empowered to use force to protect their property
- 6 months hard labour for offender

As for the law protecting the burglar, personally I don't care. If someone enters my house and my 2 year old is in bed upstairs then I am going to protect my family with whatever weapon I have to hand. I'll worry about the law later.

Lawrence of Knockbride

If I could play Devi's Advocate for a minute I would suggest that each case if different. For example the thief may be some sc**bag who gets his kicks out stealing or he may be someone who, in a moment of weakness, decides to steal in order to feed his large family having lost his job and seeing no other option.
You might also have an easily led 14 year old boy who tags along with an older ringleader.
If in either of these cases the householder was entitled to use whatever weapon is necessary it might seem a bit extreme especially if no personal harm was intened.
Like I said, just looking at it from a different angle. I suppose in reality if it was me I'd most likely act first too. But I might regret it later.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 22, 2009, 10:12:47 PM
If I could play Devi's Advocate for a minute I would suggest that each case if different. For example the thief may be some sc**bag who gets his kicks out stealing or he may be someone who, in a moment of weakness, decides to steal in order to feed his large family having lost his job and seeing no other option.
You might also have an easily led 14 year old boy who tags along with an older ringleader.
If in either of these cases the householder was entitled to use whatever weapon is necessary it might seem a bit extreme especially if no personal harm was intened.
Like I said, just looking at it from a different angle. I suppose in reality if it was me I'd most likely act first too. But I might regret it later.
Do you seriously think any of those who break in to people's houses are doing so to feed their family?
As for the 14 year old, tough shit. 

Myles, a lot of people wouldnt be able to defend themselves if someone broke in to their house and it's alright talking on here but if you went down your stairs in the middle of the night and met two or three boys I'd be surprised if you were capable of defending yourself. 
I've been in the situation of coming down stairs to meet an uninvited guest. 

You could never enforce a law that has one sentence for those who break in to an old person's house and another for a young persons house.  What if the house was owned by a woman, living there alone?  Would you have to prove that the burglar knew who occupied the house and how would you do that?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

muppet

They rarely if ever have jobs.....just records.
MWWSI 2017

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 22, 2009, 10:20:30 PM
Do you seriously think any of those who break in to people's houses are doing so to feed their family?
As for the 14 year old, tough shit.

Myles, a lot of people wouldnt be able to defend themselves if someone broke in to their house and it's alright talking on here but if you went down your stairs in the middle of the night and met two or three boys I'd be surprised if you were capable of defending yourself. 
I've been in the situation of coming down stairs to meet an uninvited guest. 

You could never enforce a law that has one sentence for those who break in to an old person's house and another for a young persons house.  What if the house was owned by a woman, living there alone?  Would you have to prove that the burglar knew who occupied the house and how would you do that?
I should have known better. It was just an example.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 22, 2009, 08:49:15 PM
I think there is a difference in robbing the elderly and robbing someone else, just like there is a difference in assaulting a child and assaulting an adult. The elderly and the child are unable to defend themselves and that is why they are targeted. The people that assault an old man are the most lowest of scum going. For what it is worth I would seriously introduce the following rules...

- You enter the house of an elderly person uninvited then you surrender your rights
- Homeowner should be empowered to use force to protect their property
- 6 months hard labour for offender

As for the law protecting the burglar, personally I don't care. If someone enters my house and my 2 year old is in bed upstairs then I am going to protect my family with whatever weapon I have to hand. I'll worry about the law later.

Would be my standpoint too.

What is the weapon of choice though? I don't keep anything in the bedroom that could be used in anger. Do youse keep a hurling stick or anything under the bed?