Inglorious Bastards Movie Thread **** SPOILERS ****

Started by AbbeySider, August 24, 2009, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

I wanted to start this thread to discuss the film for people who saw it.

if you have not seen it then do not keep reading

You have been warned....

**** MAJOR SPOILERS ****

Anyway, for anyone who DID see it... what did you think?
I just saw it last night in the Eye Cinema here in Galway.

I must say for the first time in a long time I got that rare cinema feeling. The feeling that I was watching a great film that will be remembered. That what I was watching may go down as one of Tarantino's greats. I havent really got that cinema experience since LOTR or the first Matrix film.

Speaking of the film, I enjoyed 95% of it. The script was brilliant. It was exceptionally casted, from Pitts character (and accent), the bastards, the Jew Hunter Colonel, the French guy at the start.

However I was a little disappointed with the over-the-top cinema scene although throughout the film I didnt look away or get squeamish once. I could take the scalping, the marking of the swastikas on foreheads, the clubbing etc. But that bit where the crowd are burning alive and getting riddled with bullets while Hitlers face is exploding is a little excessive.

A classic action, thriller or horror will always leave the worst moment to the audiences imagination. The camera always cuts away and you see blood splatter the wall, or the shaddow of whats happening. You are left to you own imagination and devices which can be worse or scarier than any directors.

However seeing some rubber-mans face blowing up with machine gun bullets looked terrible as it just didnt look real. It was slapstick violence at its worsed and it took away from the film because it looked so fake.

Now there was some laughter during the film. Mostly at the one liners and back answers by Pitts character. There was even some laughter at the violence which struck me as ironic. (I laughed too btw).

The scene where the top ranking Nazi's are laughing at the soldier in the birds nest killing the Americans, reminded me of the cinema audience I was sitting in laughing at the Americans killing the Nazi's. There was definitely a deliberate irony there.

All in all a great film though.

Capt Pat

I think the movie while dramatic and suspenseful in parts is a joke movie it is not to be taken seriously. Hitlers rubber face falling apart with so many bullets going in is really a part of that joke, the movie is historically inaccurate and I saw some critic write that young teenagers might be taken in by the inaccurate history portrayed in the film but they would want to be a bit special for that to happen. The violence was cartoonish at times.

David McKeown

I wasnt fussed at all.  I found the movie to be quite boring with a lot of excessively long and pointlessly convoluted scenes.  I thought there were some good parts but overall it was well below what Tarantino can achieve as seen in Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction in particular.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

AbbeySider

Quote from: David McKeown on August 24, 2009, 11:02:00 AM
I wasnt fussed at all.  I found the movie to be quite boring with a lot of excessively long and pointlessly convoluted scenes.

Which scenes did you find excessively long and pointlessly convoluted?

the colonel

I watched it last nite, thought it was class. Was funny at different stages. Not over the top IMO but the last marking of the swastika was sick
the difference between success and failure is energy

David McKeown

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 24, 2009, 11:39:14 AM
I wasnt fussed at all.  I found the movie to be quite boring with a lot of excessively long and pointlessly convoluted scenes.

Chapter one and the scene in the bar in particular but I felt more generally that large chunks of the movie could been condensed.  Some will call it brilliant cinema, I wasnt fussed but I tend to have a strange choice in films
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Capt Pat

Quote from: David McKeown on August 24, 2009, 01:38:25 PM

Chapter one and the scene in the bar in particular but I felt more generally that large chunks of the movie could been condensed.  Some will call it brilliant cinema, I wasnt fussed but I tend to have a strange choice in films

Well I won't argue with you about them being "excessively long and pointlessly convoluted" but I thought they were very good scenes as well and I would not complain about them.

screenexile

David that was exactly my take on the film! Thoroughly enjoyed the movie though but did fond those 2 scenes in particular very drawn out. I can see how Tarantino was trying to build the tension on both occasions but they were drawn out.

Some superb performances from Pitt and your man who played Colonel Landa and thon blonde article is a chassis. Not one of the greats but enjoyable nonetheless.

fitzroyalty

This is probably one of those films that needs to grow on you. Not Tarantino at his best but still good all the same.
I'm not a movie buff but for what its worth i thought the acting was brilliant but the plot itself was a bit too OTT at times. I didn't think it was gory enough for a war film but thats just my opinion, I'm sure some of the mutilation scenes were enough for most people.

AbbeySider

Quote from: screenexile on August 24, 2009, 03:17:25 PM

David that was exactly my take on the film! Thoroughly enjoyed the movie though but did fond those 2 scenes in particular very drawn out. I can see how Tarantino was trying to build the tension on both occasions but they were drawn out.

Some superb performances from Pitt and your man who played Colonel Landa and thon blonde article is a chassis. Not one of the greats but enjoyable nonetheless.

OMG!  :D
Chapter one and the Bar scene were my two favourite scenes in the film!
IMO they are cinema at its best.

I found Chapter One with the French guy and the Jews hiding under the floor was a very heightened and tension filled scene. And the scene in the bar with the SS major was another edge of your seat suspense filled scene. 

I think im understanding your opinions about it being dragged out but in a way it was intentional of the characters.

I felt that the SS Major and the Jew Hunter Colonel were over elaborate in conversation and mannerisms because there were trying to catch both the French guy and the undercover bastards off guard.
The SS Major tried to befriend, and charm the actress and bastards, drawing them out and forcing the mistake of the three finger sign and the accent.
The Jew Hunter flatter to deceive, and played on emotions comparing Jews to Rats and Nazi's to Hawks as well as giving ultimatums.
Both scenes were exceptional in my book and did so much for plot and character development.
But thats just my opinion! 

Shamrock Shore

Most enjoyable cinema since Pulp Fiction.

10/10.

Who'd have thought Hitler died in June 44in Paris.

Damn history teachers and their Brit propaganda!

Capt Pat

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 24, 2009, 11:45:31 PM
Most enjoyable cinema since Pulp Fiction.

10/10.

Who'd have thought Hitler died in June 44in Paris.

Damn history teachers and their Brit propaganda!

The jews killed Hitler, those basterds and they always thought us in school that the jews killed Jesus.

Never beat the deeler

Thoroughly enjoyed this film. Was gory enough in places, but thats Tarantino!

Thought the opening scene with the Frenchman and the family under the table was excellent cinema, and they used the language switches excellently. very tense stuff.

A couple of points:
did anyone else think the casting of Mike Myers in his cameo role a bit strange? I know he can do a decent English accent, but I couldnt stop thinking Austin Powers every time he spoke.

Secondly, what was the whole point of the character of the movie critic. Seems he was just brought into the movie with the sole intention of setting up the big gunfight in the cellar.
Hasta la victoria siempre

ziggysego

Excellent film. Tarantino back to his best in my eyes. Loved the opening scene in France and the bar scene.

The cinema scene was beautiful shot, with Bridget von Hammersmark's laughing face being projected onto the smoke from the fire. Brilliant!

That's a bingo!
Testing Accessibility

Capt Pat

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on August 25, 2009, 10:54:35 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed this film. Was gory enough in places, but thats Tarantino!

Thought the opening scene with the Frenchman and the family under the table was excellent cinema, and they used the language switches excellently. very tense stuff.

A couple of points:
did anyone else think the casting of Mike Myers in his cameo role a bit strange? I know he can do a decent English accent, but I couldnt stop thinking Austin Powers every time he spoke.

Secondly, what was the whole point of the character of the movie critic. Seems he was just brought into the movie with the sole intention of setting up the big gunfight in the cellar.

I thought the whole Mike Myers thing was a bit strange, seeing his name come up in the opening credits was unexpected but he is well disguised and acts well so what is the problem in a largely tongue in cheek movie.