Wedding presents

Started by tyrone girl, August 17, 2009, 09:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Whatever you can afford and are comforable with tyronegirl.  This expected amount is nonsense as is calculating the cost of you being there, you didnt invite yourself! £100 is more than enough imo. If someone said they wanted money on the invitation or hinted at it I wouldnt be going to the wedding, cheeky as f**k.  Wedding lists are just as cheeky.   
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

tyrone girl

I actually thought £100 was grand, maybe im out of sync or something, cos it was just when one the girls says to me how much are yous giving her and i said £100 why is that not standard and she says oh god no ud need to give more than that!! Said £120 - £150 or so is what is standard now, so me being me il just go with the flow id say

ziggysego

Quote from: tyrone girl on August 17, 2009, 11:31:57 AM
I actually thought £100 was grand, maybe im out of sync or something, cos it was just when one the girls says to me how much are yous giving her and i said £100 why is that not standard and she says oh god no ud need to give more than that!! Said £120 - £150 or so is what is standard now, so me being me il just go with the flow id say

Unless you're close to the couple getting married, £100 is enough tyrone girl.
Testing Accessibility

SidelineKick

Wedding lists arent a bad idea, I dont think its as bad as asking for cash.

The current rate of going is £107 TG.  I would do it as follows:

£100 note
£5 note
£1 x 2 sellotaped to the card
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

C_Berg_316

heard a good one a few weeks ago - fella on a team was getting married and all the lads were invited - so they called round with presents - think there was 28 of them or something and they all bought the same 8 quid toaster out of argos for presents.... :D  :D

(think thye all did give proper present then as well though)
thats the crack she said with one leg up above on the table

SidelineKick

Quote from: C_Berg_316 on August 17, 2009, 11:43:16 AM
heard a good one a few weeks ago - fella on a team was getting married and all the lads were invited - so they called round with presents - think there was 28 of them or something and they all bought the same 8 quid toaster out of argos for presents.... :D  :D

(think thye all did give proper present then as well though)

:D funny we intended on doing that last year for a wedding, never developed.  Would be hilarious to see that many of the same thing in the one house.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

ONeill

I think that if you composed a poem they'd appreciate the work you put into it rather than the money. Even just a limerick.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

100 is plenty. As Pints says you shouldn't have to calculate what you think is going to cover you being at the wedding! If it was costing a hundred quid a head at the wedding I wouldn't be giving them 200 for me and the wife. That's their lookout and I shouldn't have to know, or even guess, what their wedding is costing!

What next are they gonna put a breakdown of wedding costs on the invites so you know what to give so they break even/make a profit!

Tony Baloney

We got an invite to a wedding back in May and they had enclosed account information for Trailfinders where you could give money to pay off their honeymoon.

Doogie Browser

I am shocked at people subtly asking for money on their invites,  cheeky hoors and i would definitely buy a crap present to piss them off then!  £100 is a more than adequate gift.

lynchbhoy

with the erosion of society it is not now seemingly as crass to ask outright for money as it once was. A few years ago you darent ask for cash as it was not the polite thing to do.
However thats changing.
AFAIK down here the going rate for money as a wedding giftis about €200-250 - I think.

though maybe thats gone down in the recession !

TacadoirArdMhacha

I went to a wedding there a week or so ago and gave £70 - feel a bit tight now  :( To be fair if £100 a couple is standard then it mightn't be so bad as I didn't take my "plus one". (ate the extra dinner though). £100 for one person is a bit much surely? I'm pretty broke as I'm not going to be earning between September and March so it was sorta all I could afford.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Maiden1

Wedding lists are great!  Who wants to be trailing round a shop looking for something that they might not want when you can just look up the web for there wedding list and buy them something from it in about 20 seconds.  Most people just give money which is what people generally would like (they can buy there own toaster, wine glasses etc. with the money).
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Will Hunting

Has anyone seen as well, the invitations where they tell you what day/date to visit their house with gifts?

stpauls

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 17, 2009, 01:29:15 PM
I went to a wedding there a week or so ago and gave £70 - feel a bit tight now  :( To be fair if £100 a couple is standard then it mightn't be so bad as I didn't take my "plus one". (ate the extra dinner though). £100 for one person is a bit much surely? I'm pretty broke as I'm not going to be earning between September and March so it was sorta all I could afford.

£70 without a +1 is fine, wouldn't be too worried about that!